Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2007, 4:57 pm

Why is it if you are on drugs that's okay, but not being able to drive a car is considered a crime?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:11 pm

It depends where you are. In London a lot of people don't bother with cars because the public transport system is good (even though everyone moans about it, this being an English character trait).

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:16 pm

When was driving a car a crime and since when are you allowed to do drugs.. I dont really see what your getting at

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:17 pm

No wait I think I know what you mean now. Does everyone look down on you cause you cant drive but your asking yourself why are they ok with drugs? .. Just the way society is, I know it sucks!

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:48 pm

In many ways they are on a par - moderate, informed drug use isn't necessarily harmful, and neither is moderate, informed car use.

The key thing is to stay sensible and be aware of the wider risks and repercussions. Also, to only push the limits so far ("soft" drugs have a comparatively minor social impact, as do small and efficient cars).

The key difference is that most people still don't understand that driving a gas-guzzling car is just as wrong as snorting Coke. Why?

- because the resulting changes are invisible (hard to detect in everyday life), and happen slowly
- because most western economies are oil-led
- because people are very defensive over their right to drive, because driving = "freedom"
- because car drivers are voters, and so politicians are scared to act
- because most people drive, individual responsibility is weakened: "well, everybody does it"
- oil and car companies are very keen to stress their high-tec green credentials, and we really WANT to believe them. Self-delusion is a wonderful thing.

The issue is knowing when you are doing wrong. It doesn't mean you have to stop completely, but you should attempt to repay the social debts somehow. I love Alfa Romeos and I own a 1.8 Twin Spark. But I use public transport most of the time and I only use the car when there is no other option. Not ideal, but "balancing the books" as best I can. In the long run I would like to do without it completely, but that will involve a significant change in lifestyle.

Vulcan613
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2007, 9:49 pm

I never learned to drive a car until my 30s because before that I lived in big cities where I took the subway or bus. why hassle with traffic, car payments, parking, insurance & such when there was mass transit? But when I moved to a rural area, then a car became a necessity.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2007, 4:18 pm

indeed, a car is bitter sweet, where I live you must travel 30 miles to have a decent job, so i purchased a vehcile as I walked for a while, and it changed my life, things improved, well... the stress increased, but I got what I wanted in the end... LIVE ALONE!! !!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Aug 2007, 10:37 am

Shadowcat wrote:
Why is it if you are on drugs that's okay, but not being able to drive a car is considered a crime?
i want what your snorting, usually its the other way around i think. i wouldnt know because i dont drive though

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 4:48 pm

I think people are starting to realise that it's actually commendable to use public transport
if it's convenient to do so.I didn't pass the driving test until until I was nearly 40 and it was
the fact that my work moved 30 miles away that made me desparate.I've since managed to
get a new job locally and I'm happy to travel by train and bus.I only use a car when there's no
handy alternative.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 12:17 am

If at all possible, public transportation is the best means for commuting to and from work. But for shopping, buying groceries, running errands, etc it’s a royal pain in the ass and way too time consuming for me. I refuse to lug 30 lbs of groceries half a mile from the store to the bus stop and then have to stand in the pouring rain for 15 minutes waiting for a bus. Most of the stops in Seattle don’t have shelters, so you have to hold the umbrella in one hand and manage everything else in the other. Can’t really set stuff down because the ground is all wet and dirty. I also need my car to get out and explore the countryside. I live alone and I would go insane if I was stuck in my apartment all the time. When I go out I’d rather go out into the mountains than hang around in the city. I can't live without a car here. Some people do but I don't know how.