The word "dinosaur" means "terrible lizard".

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 3:22 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Its too late for me to use the edit feature now.

So...just pretend I wrote "poppycock" instead "BS". If thats the thing that bothers you.

Thanks. Is more polite. :)

Just to say my references for the old term being "Dragon". Old Bibles and encyclopedias used to use this term before the term "Dinosaur" came in.
The Bible actually gives descriptions of three creatures, two of which has to be creatures that do not exist today. Leviathan and behemoth. So called "Biblical schollars" notes calling them crocodiles and hippobotamus are so inaccurate compared to the Biblical descriptions of these creatures one has to question if these "Biblical scholars" actually thought about what they put.
I actually believe both these to be dinosaurs, and the one that is described as fire breathing, I believe to be something like a dimetrodon or possibly a parasaurolophus? (There had been a theory that the fin on the dimetrodon had a storage use for chemicals? I don't remember the details as a scientist came out with the theory years ago. Took a while to find that dinosaur to get its name, yet when I was a child it was one of the main dinosaurs seen in books along with trisaratops, stegosaurus and trinosaurus rex. (If I have spelt them right).
While looking it up there is a new theory with the parasaurolophus that it may have been fire breathing. Fascinating subject to be honest.

As far as I know, no organisms have ever existed in reality that were fire breathing. Fire breathing only occurs in the realm of legendary organisms.

Also the dimetridon was not really a dinosaur. The dimetridon was more closely related to mammals than to actual dinosaurs.

I actually think that mozt of what we call dinosaurs were more like mammals.

Something that started me thinking in the past was when I heard that the average size of a dinosaur was the size of a small dog, and it makes sense if I think about it, because it is around the average size of our animals we have today.

I used to believe from reading those dinosaur books when I was young, that dinosaurs wefe massive things hundreds of times larger than a human! Came as a dhock to find this is not the case, though admittedly there were some large ones!

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2023, 5:06 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Its too late for me to use the edit feature now.

So...just pretend I wrote "poppycock" instead "BS". If thats the thing that bothers you.

Thanks. Is more polite. :)

Just to say my references for the old term being "Dragon". Old Bibles and encyclopedias used to use this term before the term "Dinosaur" came in.
The Bible actually gives descriptions of three creatures, two of which has to be creatures that do not exist today. Leviathan and behemoth. So called "Biblical schollars" notes calling them crocodiles and hippobotamus are so inaccurate compared to the Biblical descriptions of these creatures one has to question if these "Biblical scholars" actually thought about what they put.
I actually believe both these to be dinosaurs, and the one that is described as fire breathing, I believe to be something like a dimetrodon or possibly a parasaurolophus? (There had been a theory that the fin on the dimetrodon had a storage use for chemicals? I don't remember the details as a scientist came out with the theory years ago. Took a while to find that dinosaur to get its name, yet when I was a child it was one of the main dinosaurs seen in books along with trisaratops, stegosaurus and trinosaurus rex. (If I have spelt them right).
While looking it up there is a new theory with the parasaurolophus that it may have been fire breathing. Fascinating subject to be honest.

As far as I know, no organisms have ever existed in reality that were fire breathing. Fire breathing only occurs in the realm of legendary organisms.

Also the dimetridon was not really a dinosaur. The dimetridon was more closely related to mammals than to actual dinosaurs.

I actually think that mozt of what we call dinosaurs were more like mammals.

Something that started me thinking in the past was when I heard that the average size of a dinosaur was the size of a small dog, and it makes sense if I think about it, because it is around the average size of our animals we have today.

I used to believe from reading those dinosaur books when I was young, that dinosaurs wefe massive things hundreds of times larger than a human! Came as a dhock to find this is not the case, though admittedly there were some large ones!

that's a creationist myth, actually, the average size was the size of a rhino/elephant, not a dog:
Drawing from a data set of 584 dinosaurs, Campione notes, most non-avian dinosaurs had a mass of about 7,700 pounds. That’s a pretty big animal, somewhere between modern-day rhinos and elephants.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 0elephants.

also, many other mythologies, apart from the bible, mention dragon-like creatures: by using the phylogenetic method, one can find the origin of the myth from the time of migration from Africa.
....dragon myths that emerged during those early waves of migrations. One protonarrative that most likely predated the exodus from Africa includes the following core story elements: Mythological serpents guard water sources, releasing the liquid only under certain conditions. They can fly and form a rainbow. They are giants and have horns or antlers on their heads. They can produce rain and thunderstorms. Reptiles, immortal like others who shed their skin or bark and thus rejuvenate, are contrasted with mortal men and/or are considered responsible for originating death, perhaps by their bite.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... l-origins/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 6:05 pm

Thanks Chuckster for posting that article. Ive run across that theory before -that dragons (as a motiff or meme in mythology) can be traced back to the Paleolithic spread of humans out of Africa but only from an uncredentialled folks on Utube. Didnt know that the theory was in print in Scientific American.

The word "dragon" derives from the Greek word "draco" which means "snake".

And that seems to be how mythical dragons evolved. Humans knew that some snakes had a venomous bite. That morphed into the belief that their breath was toxic, and that in turn evolved into the belief that they breathed fire.

Thats European dragons. Chinese type dragons dont breath fire AFAIK.

Snakes were observed to leave their shed skin. So the beliefs that snakes escape death itself by shedding skin and were immortal took root. Ancient Europeans, and isolated tribes in New Guinea, had this common notion that snakes are immortal.

The Mesoamerican Aztecs and Mayas believe that civilization and agriculture was brought to them by the feathered serpant god Quetzelcoatal. In their depictions of the feathered serpant it looks amazingly like a Chinese dragon, but without limbs.

East Asians, and Europeans, stuck legs onto to the serpent and called them "dragons". But east Asian/Chinese dragons are usually rather benevolant (much like the Mesoamerican feathered serpent) where as in Europe and western Asia dragons are usually evil villains. Though in both cultures exceptions occur in individual tales.

Dragons were usually associated with water. The Chinese still pray to dragons to bring rain.

But sorry. The earth is more than ten thousand years old, dinosaurs died out 60 million years before humans appeared, so no human ever saw a mesozoic living dinosaur. But if you want to believe the Christ road a saddled up dinosaur...go ahead and believe it.There are actual pics of Christ doing that in Creationist literature.