Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 10:26 am

I was just reading about schizoid personality disorder and it seems to me very similar to ASD. How comes it's a personality disorder on it's own and not part of the spectrum? What's the difference between the two?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 10:50 am

There's definitely potential for overlap between the two and it can be difficult to determine one from the other from both, but with that said there's a bunch of small differences between them when performing differential diagnosis.

ASD begins in early childhood, SzPD sets in later (late childhood/adolescence or later).

Anhedonia isn't typical of ASD, although burnout, depression and/or other comorbids might be responsible. Anhedonia is typical of SzPD.

Historically there was a tendency to view them as closely related, but beyond that:

Quote:
Several studies have reported an overlap or comorbidity with the autism spectrum disorder Asperger syndrome. Asperger syndrome had traditionally been called "schizoid disorder of childhood", and Eugen Bleuler coined both the terms "autism" and "schizoid" to describe withdrawal to an internal fantasy, against which any influence from outside becomes an intolerable disturbance. In a 2012 study of a sample of 54 young adults with Asperger syndrome, it was found that 26% of them also met criteria for SPD, the highest comorbidity out of any personality disorder in the sample (the other comorbidities were 19% for obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, 13% for avoidant personality disorder and one female with schizotypal personality disorder). Additionally, twice as many men with Asperger syndrome met criteria for SPD than women. While 41% of the whole sample were unemployed with no occupation, this rose to 62% for the Asperger's and SPD comorbid group. Tantam suggested that Asperger syndrome may confer an increased risk of developing SPD. A 2019 study found that 54% of a group of males aged 11 to 25 with Asperger syndrome showed significant SPD traits, with 6% meeting full diagnostic criteria for SPD, compared to 0% of a control.

In the 2012 study, it was noted that the DSM may complicate diagnosis by requiring the exclusion of a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) before establishing a diagnosis of SPD. The study found that social interaction impairments, stereotyped behaviours and specific interests were more severe in the individuals with Asperger syndrome also fulfilling SPD criteria, against the notion that social interaction skills are unimpaired in SPD. The authors believe that substantial subgroup of people with autism spectrum disorder or PDD have clear "schizoid traits" and correspond largely to the "loners" in Lorna Wing's classification The autism spectrum (Lancet 1997), described by Sula Wolff. The authors of the 2019 study hypothesised that it is extremely likely that historic cohorts of adults diagnosed with SPD either also had childhood-onset autistic syndromes or were misdiagnosed. They stressed that further research to clarify overlap and distinctions between these two syndromes was strongly warranted, especially given that high-functioning autism spectrum disorders are now recognised in around 1% of the population.

https://encyclopedia.pub/entry/30485

It's possible that the differences used for differential diagnosis aren't so concrete, if that's the case SzPD might ultimately turn out to be a set of symptoms associated with ASD, or at least males with BAP (broad autistic phenotype).

I found this:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 11:32 am

Schzoid PD wouldn't have emotional outbursts or meltdowns often found in ASD. They wouldn't display or feel much emotion at all.

Schzoids wouldn't have special interests

Remember not at ASD individuals don't desire close relationships or friendship, many do, we just have a lot of trouble with them. Schzoid PD individuals seem to have no need or desire for closer relationships.

In some ways ASD also overlaps with some features of Avoidant PD.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 1:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
There's definitely potential for overlap between the two and it can be difficult to determine one from the other from both, but with that said there's a bunch of small differences between them when performing differential diagnosis.

ASD begins in early childhood, SzPD sets in later (late childhood/adolescence or later).

Anhedonia isn't typical of ASD, although burnout, depression and/or other comorbids might be responsible. Anhedonia is typical of SzPD.

Historically there was a tendency to view them as closely related, but beyond that:

Quote:
Several studies have reported an overlap or comorbidity with the autism spectrum disorder Asperger syndrome. Asperger syndrome had traditionally been called "schizoid disorder of childhood", and Eugen Bleuler coined both the terms "autism" and "schizoid" to describe withdrawal to an internal fantasy, against which any influence from outside becomes an intolerable disturbance. In a 2012 study of a sample of 54 young adults with Asperger syndrome, it was found that 26% of them also met criteria for SPD, the highest comorbidity out of any personality disorder in the sample (the other comorbidities were 19% for obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, 13% for avoidant personality disorder and one female with schizotypal personality disorder). Additionally, twice as many men with Asperger syndrome met criteria for SPD than women. While 41% of the whole sample were unemployed with no occupation, this rose to 62% for the Asperger's and SPD comorbid group. Tantam suggested that Asperger syndrome may confer an increased risk of developing SPD. A 2019 study found that 54% of a group of males aged 11 to 25 with Asperger syndrome showed significant SPD traits, with 6% meeting full diagnostic criteria for SPD, compared to 0% of a control.

In the 2012 study, it was noted that the DSM may complicate diagnosis by requiring the exclusion of a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) before establishing a diagnosis of SPD. The study found that social interaction impairments, stereotyped behaviours and specific interests were more severe in the individuals with Asperger syndrome also fulfilling SPD criteria, against the notion that social interaction skills are unimpaired in SPD. The authors believe that substantial subgroup of people with autism spectrum disorder or PDD have clear "schizoid traits" and correspond largely to the "loners" in Lorna Wing's classification The autism spectrum (Lancet 1997), described by Sula Wolff. The authors of the 2019 study hypothesised that it is extremely likely that historic cohorts of adults diagnosed with SPD either also had childhood-onset autistic syndromes or were misdiagnosed. They stressed that further research to clarify overlap and distinctions between these two syndromes was strongly warranted, especially given that high-functioning autism spectrum disorders are now recognised in around 1% of the population.

https://encyclopedia.pub/entry/30485

It's possible that the differences used for differential diagnosis aren't so concrete, if that's the case SzPD might ultimately turn out to be a set of symptoms associated with ASD, or at least males with BAP (broad autistic phenotype).

I found this:

The graph you posted makes a good visualisation of the differences between the two. Yes I think autism is associated with a wider variety of neurological conditions beyond personality traits, like motor isues, memory, attention, sensory issues etc. Apparently though, there seems to be some connection between the two since they seem to run in the same families. An SPD parent will have an ASD child. As you said, maybe in the future they will be merged since the medical community seems to change the classification of things with the passing of time.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 5:38 pm

"An SPD parent will have an ASD child."

I would guess the majority of those with Schizoid PD will probably never get married, nor have any interest in it. The vast majority of them tend to be asexual as well. Many Aspies don't appear to be asexual.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 10:11 pm

By this very unofficial chart, my mother rates SPD 50% and ASD 50%. But I figure she has ASD like me (I rate SPD 0%, ASD 75%). She has hypersensitive sight, hearing, smell, taste (and sixth sense) like I do, but has hyposensitive touch and empathy (possibly suppression from CPTSD). My husband fits SPD 75%, ASD 0%, but we figure he's strongly Avoidant or CPTSD or something. It's since near birth for them as far as we can tell, so I guess SPD would be out anyways. Ah, so complicated.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 11:19 am

Hypersensitivity in certain sense domains can be a symptom of ASD. So can lack of empathy. Lacking empathy is one of the stereotypes of Aspies

cool09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2023, 9:25 pm

I was told I am schizoid and have Asperger's, too. (And anhedonia really bad.) Socializing was very challenging after I hit 13 and I don't know how to make friends although I always craved friends. My childhood was fine. I don't know what to do. I went to an autism clinic at Johns Hopkins few yrs ago and it was the worst healthcare I ever had! And I spiral out of control when I get rejected or criticized. Dr in hospital last mth said I am a little disconnected and would profit from psychedelic therapy so I'm looking into that.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 1:03 am

what do you think happened when you were 13 that changed everything?

cool09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2023, 12:21 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
what do you think happened when you were 13 that changed everything?

I started getting anxious and dissociating really bad. I was really detached from myself and couldn't talk for 5 yrs.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2023, 2:55 pm