Young and worried about getting ill and dying in the future

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 1:07 pm

I keep asking myself and I can never really understand myself as to why I have these worries. I remember as a kid worrying about having a heart attack, then as an early 20 year old having an epileptic seizure (even though I am not epileptic and don't have a family history of epilepsy) which was one of the reasons why I started having panic attacks.

I've got parents in their late 50s/early 60s who appear un-concerned and less worried about their health and here I am in my early 30s having these almost obsessive concerns about what might happen to my health years from now. I mean I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, I walk to work, and so what have I got to be worried about ?

I seem to think one of the reasons that are driving my concerns is that I hear of isolated stories of people in their 30s and 40s having heart attacks and other types of problems even though they showed no signs of being at risk as they look fit and exercise and then all of a sudden they get hit with a heart attack and I seem to think it is the suddenness of it that kind of freaks me out.

I seem to think that if a crystal ball showed me what day, time and age I were to pass away and what the cause was then I probably would feel quite glad about it as it would reassure me that I don't have to worry about it anymore because I would know it maybe a long way off in the future and I can just relax and not think about it anymore.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 12:03 am

You're worried about dying in the future? Well you will. I guarantee it! We all will :(

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2023, 4:15 am

It's very few people who suddenly develop heart problems or other serious health issues at your age. If they do there is usually a hidden or possibly overt genetic condition that can cause it. Don't waste precious time worrying about remote possibilities, or allow if to be an obsession. You're doing what you can.

Health and age are a strange thing indeed. My mom developed pancreatic cancer last year and passed away two months ago as she had agreed with the doctors that she would prefer palliative care rather than surgery at her age. She was 80. She always looked after her health and never smoked or drank alcohol. She didn't even use a microwave as she believed from the time of the earliest models that they caused radiation that could lead to cancer. No one could sway her on that count.

My stepdad on the other hand smoked for many years although he gave it up years ago in his 50s or 60s can't recall when. He will be 93 next month.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Last edited by envirozentinel on 26 May 2023, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.: added info

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 1:43 pm

Sooner or later everyone will drop dead

Worrying about dropping dead does not postpone dropping dead

Worrying about your health too much makes you less healthy

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 1:38 am

If you can lose your fear of death, you won't have these worries. Life does become easier when you don't care whether you live or die. Once I lost my fear of death are started visiting far fewer doctors.