Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2023, 11:53 pm

So I've got NLD and until recent years, there was hardly any info online or in print; especially anything new. A general talk about or ASD would be cool.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

18 Mar 2023, 8:47 am

Do you mean NVLD?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonverbal_learning_disorder

" Nonverbal learning disability (NVLD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by core deficits in visual-spatial processing in the presence of intact verbal ability.[2] Additional diagnostic criteria include Average to Superior verbal intelligence and deficits in visuoconstruction abilities, fine-motor coordination, mathematical reasoning, visuospatial memory and social skills.[3][4][5][6] In clinical settings, some diagnoses of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder would be more appropriately classified as NVLD.[7]

Nonverbal learning disorder
Other names
Nonverbal learning difficulties
Specialty
Neurology/psychiatry
Frequency
Currently unknown, estimated to be around 3%

NVLD's symptoms are very similar to both Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), specifically high-functioning autism, and ADHD, with which it shares an exceptionally high comorbidity rate.[8][9][10] For this reason, it has been often the case that NVLD is overlooked in patients in favor of solely ADHD or ASD.[11]

Considered to be neurologically based,[12][13] nonverbal learning disorder is characterized by:

impairments in visuospatial processing
discrepancy between Average to Superior verbal abilities and impaired nonverbal abilities such as:
visuoconstruction
fine motor coordination
mathematical reasoning
visuospatial memory
socioemotional skills[4]
People with NVLD may have trouble understanding charts, reading maps, assembling jigsaw puzzles, and using an analog clock to tell time. "Clumsiness" is not unusual in people with NVLD, especially children, and it may take a child with NVLD longer than usual to learn how to tie shoelaces or to ride a bicycle.[7]

At the beginning of their school careers, children with symptoms of NVLD struggle with tasks that require eye–hand coordination, such as coloring and using scissors, but often excel at memorizing verbal content, spelling, and reading once the shapes of the letters are learned. A child with NVLD's Average or Superior verbal skills can be misattributed to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, defiant behavior, inattention, or lack of effort.[7] Early researchers in the syndrome of NVLD Johnson and Myklebust characterize how the children appear in a classroom: "An example is the child who fails to learn the meaning of the actions of others....We categorize this child as having a deficiency in social perception, meaning that he has an inability which precludes acquiring the significance of basic nonverbal aspects of daily living, though his verbal level of intelligence falls within or above the average."[14]

In the adolescent years, when schoolwork becomes more abstract and the executive demands for time management, organization, and social interactions increase, students with NVLD begin to struggle. They focus on separate details and struggle to summarize information or to integrate ideas into a coherent whole, and they struggle to apply knowledge to other situations, to infer implicit information, to make predictions, and to organize information logically.[7]

As adults, tasks such as driving a car or navigating to an unfamiliar location may be difficult. Difficulty with keeping track of responsibilities or managing social interactions may affect job performance.[7]

People with NVLD may also fit the diagnostic criteria of dyscalculia,[15][16] dysgraphia,[17][18][19] or dyspraxia."

Very interesting because I have quite severe dyscalculia and bad navigating skills in my own city.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2023, 12:47 pm

Yes, NVLD but I've seen NLD a lot too. Thanks for responding, everyone on this site is cool.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

19 Mar 2023, 6:46 am

RandoNLD wrote:
Yes, NVLD but I've seen NLD a lot too. Thanks for responding, everyone on this site is cool.

Trust me, that doesn't last long. You'll get shocked eventually about how bad autistic people can be. :P
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 6:58 am

Rexi wrote:
At the beginning of their school careers, children with symptoms of NVLD struggle with tasks that require eye–hand coordination, such as coloring and using scissors, but often excel at memorizing verbal content, spelling, and reading once the shapes of the letters are learned. A child with NVLD's Average or Superior verbal skills can be misattributed to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, defiant behavior, inattention, or lack of effort.[7] Early researchers in the syndrome of NVLD Johnson and Myklebust characterize how the children appear in a classroom: "An example is the child who fails to learn the meaning of the actions of others....We categorize this child as having a deficiency in social perception, meaning that he has an inability which precludes acquiring the significance of basic nonverbal aspects of daily living, though his verbal level of intelligence falls within or above the average."[14]

In the adolescent years, when schoolwork becomes more abstract and the executive demands for time management, organization, and social interactions increase, students with NVLD begin to struggle. They focus on separate details and struggle to summarize information or to integrate ideas into a coherent whole, and they struggle to apply knowledge to other situations, to infer implicit information, to make predictions, and to organize information logically.[7]

As adults, tasks such as driving a car or navigating to an unfamiliar location may be difficult. Difficulty with keeping track of responsibilities or managing social interactions may affect job performance.[7]

People with NVLD may also fit the diagnostic criteria of dyscalculia,[15][16] dysgraphia,[17][18][19] or dyspraxia."

Very interesting because I have quite severe dyscalculia and bad navigating skills in my own city.

Theyve been torturing us for too long in schools making us do things that are really hard for us, do calculus, color and use scissors. No wonder we really hate school, as if life wasn't hard enough already.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2023, 7:18 pm

As for school, to hell with it. As for Autistic folks, hey can't be any worse to me than the World at large-besides I've spent most of the time I've been aware of my NVLD thinking it was an ASD thanks to some of the similarities.