Are "video game" and "computer game" synonyms?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2023, 11:19 am

I tend to associate "video game" with games played on consoles and "computer game" with games played on PCs. However PCs use video technology and consoles are a type of computer, so are the terms really synonyms?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 11:20 am

Effectively.

Consoles are computers, but also there's practically zero separation between console gaming and PC gaming these days.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2023, 7:22 pm

To me a computer game is one that more or less requires a mouse and a keyboard.

Stellaris is a computer game.

A video game is one that I tend to think of that could be played with a video game controller with ease.

So I'm sure Stellaris could be played with a video game controller, but it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 8:04 pm

stratozyck wrote:

A video game is one that I tend to think of that could be played with a video game controller with ease.

So I'm sure Stellaris could be played with a video game controller, but it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

So, what about simulators you play with a wheel or a flight yoke? 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Mar 2023, 6:55 am

stratozyck wrote:

One of the very early Nintendo console systems released in Japan before the Nintendo system was called, The Family Computer. However I tend to think a computer game requires a computer system like Windows & Mac/Apple desktops & laptops. Whereas a video game is most any other gaming that is played on a video screen like TV screens(such as Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, & Atari), Arcade systems, & also games on hand held devices(such as Game Boy, games on phones & tablets, & games on graphing calculators).

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2023, 9:17 am

Im from UK and I call everything computer games. I noticed Americans call them videogames.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 2:06 am

Video games would include the subset of both console and desktop computer games.