Philippines: Infidelity is a Crime.

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 5:29 pm

Quote:
MANILA, Philippines — Marital infidelity is a form of psychological violence punishable under the Anti-Violence Against Women and their Children Act of 2004 (Republic Act No. 9262).

The Supreme Court said this in a ruling affirming the conviction of a husband who cohabitated with another woman while his wife was working abroad.

Court records show that the husband and his wife got married on Dec. 29, 2006, and had a daughter. Two years later, the wife went to Singapore to work.

In 2015, she found out that her husband was in a relationship with another woman. The woman was already pregnant with her husband’s child.

She learned that her husband brought the woman to their hometown while their child was given to her mother-in-law, prompting her to return from abroad.

The wife sought the help of the Department of Social Welfare and Development to get her daughter back. She also filed a case at a regional trial court against her husband.

The court found the husband guilty of inflicting psychological violence against his wife and daughter. He was meted with a penalty of up to six years and one day of imprisonment and a fine of P100,000 fine. He was also required to undergo psychological counseling. . . The Supreme Court said that under the law, there are several forms of abuse, the most visible form of which is physical violence. The others are sexual violence, psychological violence, and economic abuse.

More at:  This News Article 

In many ways, the Philippine Republic is more conservative than many U.S. 'Red' states.  Marital laws are especially strict -- very few (if any) divorces are granted by the courts. There is also no legal abortion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:29 pm

I certainly wouldn't live there.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:33 pm

What about women's infidelity?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Supreme Court said that under the law, there are several forms of abuse, the most visible form of which is physical violence. The others are sexual violence, psychological violence, and economic abuse.

Economic abuse would be things like not paying alimony or child support, or forcing the other parent to raise children alone?

It exists here but you have to pay lawyers to fight it for you. Catch 22.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:55 pm

I think it’s problematic, especially since divorce is difficult to get.

Life is short. People shouldn’t spend it trapped in a bad marriage.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 4:01 pm

Another do what I say don't do what I do president (reminds me of the middle east where they ban alcohol and illicit sex but the emirs enjoy the finest drops and harems of personal hookers in excess)

Bongbong's family *the Marcos) were among the most corrupt in world history. Irnoic he was elected to wipe out corruption.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 5:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Another do what I say don't do what I do president (reminds me of the middle east where they ban alcohol and illicit sex but the emirs enjoy the finest drops and harems of personal hookers in excess)

Bongbong's family *the Marcos) were among the most corrupt in world history. Irnoic he was elected to wipe out corruption.

Uganda is another such country.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 5:37 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I also would never do the same.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 6:12 pm

There’s something weird in the Filipino culture which I would call « Single mom at will », meaning they have cases of single moms not due to unwanted pregnancy or spouse’s death or divorce, but some women *choose* to become single moms, like they choose a man to impregnate her, and that’s it, she goes on with her without the father being in the picture, not even financially, at all. I knew few who chose this lifestyle.

I knew a young Pinay in mid 25 who asked me to impregnate her (because she desired her baby to be of mixed ethnicity) without me getting involved in their rising, she was dead serious, and I was like « WHAT THE F—- IS THAT?! ! ». Like yeah as if it’s a hobby of mine to just, you know, bring babies to life and abandon them :roll: . This was like a cultural shock to me but apparently it is not very uncommon for them to do, probably because they fear marriage due to strict stupid Catholic rule? It’s almost a Catholic theocracy.

It is a very « women-based » society over-all, often women of family (mother + aunts + grandmas) all get involved in raising the child - grandparents (they are a young population) often literally play the role of parents of their grandchild, a lot of mothers are the breadwinners and work abroad. Fathers are commonly not in the picture.
They have a serious drug and alcoholism problem especially among men, like a pandemic.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 22 Mar 2023, 6:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 6:13 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

It is actually a paradise, google it, just don’t get married a Catholic marriage there.

It is one of the nicest « raw » natural spots in the world actually, well

… at least minus the volcanoes.

and minus the frequent earthquakes

and minus the tsunamis

and typhoons

and floods

Oh well, the deadly natural disasters are part of the Philippines experience, but you’ll be fine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 7:16 pm

I like it here.  I am willing to put up with some "restrictions" if it means a safer, more peaceful life for me.  The laws that prohibit or restrict things like abortion, divorce, firearms, illegal drugs, infidelity, et cetera do not prohibit things I want to do, anyway.

The laws are more lax in other areas.  For example, I can openly carry and use a bolo knife on my property, and not even the cops will question it.

Bolo Knife - 700P (~$12.70) in the local market

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 7:23 pm

*backs slowly away from Fnord’s property*

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 7:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Same I don't agree with not having abortion access.

But also, I think cheating on a partner is wrong, but not sure it should be a criminal offence.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I knew a young Pinay in mid 25 who asked me to impregnate her (because she desired her baby to be of mixed ethnicity) without me getting involved in their rising, she was dead serious, and I was like « WHAT THE F—- IS THAT?! ! ». Like yeah as if it’s a hobby of mine to just, you know, bring babies to life and abandon them :roll: .

That happens throughout South East Asia. When I visited Indonesia, Young (very friendly) christian village girls also walk up to me and complimented my looks saying how they would love to have children with me. When it happened it was a little creepy.

I've met plenty of Australian backpackers in Indonesia who describe that country as heaven and the women as the most friendly to foreign men.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The Supreme Court said that under the law, there are several forms of abuse, the most visible form of which is physical violence. The others are sexual violence, psychological violence, and economic abuse.

Economic abuse would be things like not paying alimony or child support, or forcing the other parent to raise children alone?

It exists here but you have to pay lawyers to fight it for you. Catch 22.

Also stuff like taking your partner's income away from them, not allowing them to work while also not giving them access to funds, etc.

Basically actions that significantly interference with their financial independence.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Mar 2023, 12:18 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
There’s something weird in the Filipino culture which I would call « Single mom at will », meaning they have cases of single moms not due to unwanted pregnancy or spouse’s death or divorce, but some women *choose* to become single moms, like they choose a man to impregnate her, and that’s it, she goes on with her without the father being in the picture, not even financially, at all. I knew few who chose this lifestyle.

I knew a young Pinay in mid 25 who asked me to impregnate her (because she desired her baby to be of mixed ethnicity) without me getting involved in their rising, she was dead serious, and I was like « WHAT THE F—- IS THAT?! ! ». Like yeah as if it’s a hobby of mine to just, you know, bring babies to life and abandon them :roll: . This was like a cultural shock to me but apparently it is not very uncommon for them to do, probably because they fear marriage due to strict stupid Catholic rule? It’s almost a Catholic theocracy.

It is a very « women-based » society over-all, often women of family (mother + aunts + grandmas) all get involved in raising the child - grandparents (they are a young population) often literally play the role of parents of their grandchild, a lot of mothers are the breadwinners and work abroad. Fathers are commonly not in the picture.
They have a serious drug and alcoholism problem especially among men, like a pandemic.
Are those single mom's having relationships with other women? I'm not sure how the country & it's laws are towards lesbians. If lesbians are tolerated, it would not surprise me if a bit of the single moms are having relationships with other women.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition