Autism diagnoses for adults in college park maryland area?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

barracudabilly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2023, 7:34 pm

Unfortunately, my older brother is not doing well. He is 26 (has severe memory problems and has obsessive tendencies. He is smart but doing very bad in employment despite him having a bachelors of science). He never had any friends/relationships growing up either. In the past teachers wondered if he was on the spectrum (he is very smart tho).

-I am worried about him and not trying to judge him. Since teachers brought up the autism subject is there a doctor you recommend? (Don't worry we have a good relationship and he has been wondering the same thing too. Unfortunately, he is very depressed in bed rn so I am trying to help him while he is not feeling his best rn He knows about my asking on his behalf :)

-He is in the College Park, Maryland area (near DC).

-Much appreciated (I told him I am in support and will come with him/help him with the appointments/help that he needs).

barracudabilly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2023, 5:14 am

bump

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 5:03 pm

I used National Register of Health Service Psychologists "Find a Psychologist" to find a psychologist to do my assessment. However, none of their listings or webpages said they did Adult Autism Assessments...I figure there must be so few Adult Assessments being performed that they don't see the need to waste web space mentioning it. I looked for psychologists that were nearby, worked with Autism, and took patients my age (I was 64 at the time) and then I contacted them to ask if they did Adult Autism Assessments...and the person who answered the phone didn't know and had to check and get back to me!

If the procedure might be covered by health insurance then be sure to follow their process, keep records, and if possible work with providers in their network.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 6:20 pm

P.S. You will probably need to check the mechanics and logistics of his assessment if you're going to be very involved. My assessment had three meetings with the psychologist. Meeting one my bride accompanied me, meeting two my bride was not invited, and it was in meeting three the two of us were briefed on the diagnosis...and no two of the meetings were in the same week.

My assessment was before the Pandemic. It may have changed things.