Ben & Jerry’s Founder ‘Top Donor’ anti Ukraine aid

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:16 am

Ben & Jerry’s Founder Is ‘Top Donor’ of Group Campaigning Against U.S. Military Support for Ukraine

Quote:
A group funded by Ben & Jerry’s founder Ben Cohen is running a media campaign against U.S. military support for Ukraine.

The organization—Eisenhower Media Network (EMN)—has been reaching out to reporters to push claims that the U.S. is spending too much money trying to help Ukraine fight off Vladimir Putin’s invasion.

EMN is a project run by the People’s Power Initiative, a group that counts Cohen as its president and a major backer. The ice-cream mogul and long-time Bernie Sanders campaigner has given more than $1 million to the People’s Power Initiative via the Ben Cohen Charitable Trust, according to public records.

Approached about his role in backing the group, Cohen told The Daily Beast: “I think the U.S. should use its power to negotiate an end to the war, not prolong the death and destruction by supplying more weapons.”

The EMN project promotes a group of U.S. military veterans as experts and pundits willing to talk about the war in Ukraine. Some of them have been echoing Kremlin propaganda lines by claiming that U.S. military support for Ukraine is extending and intensifying the fighting, and suggesting that NATO expansion was one of the causes of the war. “We gave Putin just cause,” the director of EMN, Dennis Fritz, told The Daily Beast in an interview.

This left-wing critique of U.S. policy—which grows out of a deep-rooted anti-war sentiment—brings some on the left into line with the talking points of fringe Republicans such as Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz, who also argue that Washington is overspending in defense of Ukraine.

About that last paragraph, politics does make strange bedfellows.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 10:13 am

The Ukrainians are fighting our common enemy--Russia. And, no American soldiers are involved (at least officially). We need to help Ukraine all we can.

Even before the United States entered World War II in December 1941, we sent a LOT of weapons, arms and equipment to the Soviet Union to help them fight against the Nazis.

Without our weapons, the USSR probably would have been defeated.

Obviously, Putin needs to be removed from power. He is mentally unstable, and basically losing it. He pooped his pants and fell down a flight of stairs. It would be best if the Russians took him out themselves. If they won't, then it will be up to NATO and (unfortunately) the USA to take action.

Russia no longer pretends to be a "workers' paradise." Russia is a kleptocracy, and Putin is the world's biggest thief.

Other parts of the former Soviet Union have become wealthy, stable, independent nations, and members of the EU.

If we can take out Putin, then Russia will have a chance, too.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 10:24 am

I'd boycott the Ice cream, but I don't eat it anyway...and the company was sold years ago, so I guess the man is entitled to do as he pleases.

CheckerboardStrangler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2023, 12:32 pm

Honey69 wrote:
The Ukrainians are fighting our common enemy--Russia. And, no American soldiers are involved (at least officially). We need to help Ukraine all we can.

Even before the United States entered World War II in December 1941, we sent a LOT of weapons, arms and equipment to the Soviet Union to help them fight against the Nazis.

Without our weapons, the USSR probably would have been defeated.

Obviously, Putin needs to be removed from power. He is mentally unstable, and basically losing it. He pooped his pants and fell down a flight of stairs. It would be best if the Russians took him out themselves. If they won't, then it will be up to NATO and (unfortunately) the USA to take action.

Russia no longer pretends to be a "workers' paradise." Russia is a kleptocracy, and Putin is the world's biggest thief.

Other parts of the former Soviet Union have become wealthy, stable, independent nations, and members of the EU.

If we can take out Putin, then Russia will have a chance, too.

Putin will not stop at Ukraine if he is victorious.
We know this because while history doesn't repeat itself, it does rhyme.

A victory over Ukraine guarantees Iron Curtain 2 and the resulting harm to democracies around the world, and their economies.
That's the reason it's so important to support Ukraine.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Apr 2023, 12:59 pm

I've been boycotting the ice cream (and the rest of the ice cream produced by the parent company) ever since they made these stupid Tweets on the subject a year ago.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... lever-boss
I hadn't seen Unilever rowing back from B&J's comments but my boycott holds in any case. Not least because ice cream is probably the single biggest contributor to my expanding waistline...