Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 7:49 pm

Yeah I don't like drinking from plastic either.

I do feel lucky not to have those issues :)
I don't feel right when hungry.
I can't ignore it as after about half an hour of being hungry I get a painful feeling similar to nausea and feels a bit like a cramp in the stomach.

Hope the hunger and blackhoke feelings aren't too bad

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Me:
I didn't know what hunger felt like until three years ago in OT.
Prior to that, I thought it felt like headaches or being tired.
I'd had stomach hunger before but I thought that was nausea.

When I'm hungry and I eat, it takes about an hour before the hunger stops.
I used to eat too much because my eating didn't stop the feeling of hunger.
I've learned to anticipate the delay and remain "starving" for an hour after eating.

I get something that I call "black hole".
Black hole is when I'm ravenously starving but also nauseated by food.
It's similar to having morning sickness where you're hungry but can't eat.

I can relate to these.

I struggle with overeating because I don't feel full for quite awhile after eating.
I don't notice I'm hungry until I'm light-headed and hangry.
I have times where the hunger indicators (nausea, headache, etc) contribute to losing my appetite.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I can relate to these.

I struggle with overeating because I don't feel full for quite awhile after eating.
I have times where the hunger indicators (nausea, headache, etc) contribute to losing my appetite.

All of these! ^
I'm actually still hungry from when I mentioned eating earlier.
I don't know if I'm actually hungry, or it just hasn't registered yet.
It's been quite a while though.

I've actually chewed on frozen food sometimes when I'm so hungry I can't wait.
That happens when the hangry thing finally kicks in and I know what's wrong.
I don't have a microwave and it takes forever to make anything once I know I'm hungry.

*another reason I should get one*

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 10:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I can relate to these.

All of these! ^
I'm actually still hungry from when I mentioned eating earlier.
I don't know if I'm actually hungry, or it just hasn't registered yet.
It's been quite a while though.

I've actually chewed on frozen food sometimes when I'm so hungry I can't wait.
That happens when the hangry thing finally kicks in and I know what's wrong.
I don't have a microwave and it takes forever to make anything once I know I'm hungry.

*another reason I should get one*

ADD meds make it even worse, I literally don't get hungry for 10-12 hours after waking up most days.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 10:32 pm

I can't get enough to drink when I get up.
My first order of business is feeding the farm and I can't get through it without jugs of water for myself.
Sometimes I'm hungry for a drink (drink with calories).
They get a little impatient of me in the process. :cat: :cat: :cat: :pig:

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 10:54 pm

I don't really feel a specific thing that feels like "hunger". I either feel nauseous from my stomach being empty + my stomach acid irritating the ulcers I have, or I feel tired and get really restless (my inattentiveness from ADHD gets worse). Then I know that I need to eat.

I also have realized that I can't feel "full". I could eat until I feel sick, but I don't really ever feel full. I usually either overeat or undereat due to that.

I also always feel thirsty. Ironically I used to not drink enough water as a kid because my baseline feeling is just "oh my f*****g god I need water" so I was used to it. I drink too much water now though because of it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 10:59 pm

Fairfield wrote:

I also have realized that I can't feel "full". I could eat until I feel sick, but I don't really ever feel full. I usually either overeat or undereat due to that.

I also always feel thirsty. Ironically I used to not drink enough water as a kid because my baseline feeling is just "oh my f*****g god I need water" so I was used to it. I drink too much water now though because of it.

YESSSS

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 2:10 am

As soon as I get up, I'm hungry for breakfast. It's usually lunch that I do without but that can lead to low blood sugar symptoms (sweaty, shaky, feeling "out of it".

My issues are more with dry mouth and thirst. When I go out anywhere I must have a drink with me. And ordering drinks at a restaurant - I have at least two plus the drink I brought with me. It's due to my ADHD medication. At night if I get up to go to the toilet, I'll have a drink as well which has consequences (another toilet visit later).

My housemate is a curiosity - she has beer mugs full of ice and water all day. She loves to eat ice. It's a sensory thing for her.

Btw, I love your choice of avatar. :heart:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 5:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sorry to hear you had that experience. :(
I'm sure your mother's neglect didn't help, even if it wasn't the root cause.

I'm the same way taking water to bed.
I'll panic if I don't have a lot of it within reach.

When I was growing up, we didn't have breakfast except Sundays.
Sundays were for bacon and eggs, which made me sick.
The other days of the week no one had "breakfast" before work or school.

I don't remember my family ever having lunch, ever.
On school days I walked home at lunch for a sandwich, because they made me.
Kids weren't allowed to stay at school during lunch.
My parents, brother and I never had "lunch" together even on weekends.

My mother made supper but I took it to my room and ate alone.
There was no emphasis on whether I had a balanced meal beyond what she cooked.
It didn't matter if I ate it all or not.

We didn't have snack food around the house either.
All I remember as a snack were Fig Newtons.
There was never any fresh fruit in the house except occasionally some berries.

I wonder if this messed me up too?

I'm sure that did mess you up, it set your body into an unhealthy mode of not knowing when you're hungry/thirsty. I think experiences like ours confuse our bodies because food and drink is connected to emotional states.

It sounds like a very difficult start in life for you (((hugs)))

My mother is very, very immature emotionally, I've realised. She doesn't understand emotions or problems or giving support to other people. She talks the talk and everyone thinks she's wonderful, but when it comes to ACTUALLY supporting people, she is dust on the horizon. Especially her own daughter, me. She's always had a grudge against me, I don't know why, and enjoyed treating me badly.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 5:01 am

renaeden wrote:
As soon as I get up, I'm hungry for breakfast. It's usually lunch that I do without but that can lead to low blood sugar symptoms (sweaty, shaky, feeling "out of it".

My issues are more with dry mouth and thirst. When I go out anywhere I must have a drink with me.

I really, really struggle with low blood sugar symptoms, I MUST continually eat or I end up collapsing. I've had tests for diabetes etc. but apparently my results were normal :shrug:

I have a dry mouth constantly too, I have water with me 24/7. I don't drink any other drinks, just water, because other drinks don't quench my thirst.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 5:03 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I need water in a glass (not plastic), with lots of ice.

This is me too! I need COLD water. Not tepid, not warm, not lukewarm. COLD. Or I feel sick.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 8:30 am

I'm quite bad re drinking enough fluids. I can get dry mouthed ,headachy and nauseous . Hunger was a major problem when I lived in Essex. I'd eat and not feel full up. It didn't help that I lived in a tower block in the poor part of town that was heavily targetted by takeaway places. I had over 20 takeaway menus . I'm ashamed to say I was ordering 3 or so takeaways a week and not just small amounts. Chinese set meals for 2,or equivalent. Here there's far less to tempt me when I feel hungry , and I've made a big effort to reduce how many takeaways I have. It's not easy. Sometimes the urge to eat and eat can be strong!

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 8:45 am

I struggle with this stuff. These days I try to keep to a food schedule and eat during those windows of time I set for myself. Otherwise I'll forget about food and not realize I need to eat until I stand up and the world starts spinning from being sugar crashy, or when my stomach starts growling so loudly it's like a freakin symphony in here. :lol: I still have issues with eating sometimes...I have to force myself to do so, though it's not so problematic if I'm exercising as I should be.

I also can be a bottomless pit if I particularly like what I'm eating. I don't recognize full either unless I'm so bloated I look very pregnant (that does happen to me, I call it my food baby) or I start to think I might get sick. I used to joke that I should go to one of those restaurants where you get the whole meal for free if you manage to eat the ridiculous portion they put in front of you, or enter a food eating competition or something. I can straight up destroy food if I like it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 8:48 am

It seems like we all have the same pattern. I wonder how much research has been done on these topics, or if it's more related to EF difficulties vs. something to do with Serotonin.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 12:18 pm

I don't know. I always assumed I had blood sugar problems, unable to keep the level stable and needed regular feeding. Apparently my dad was the same, but he died 40 years ago so I don't know if that's true.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 6:48 pm

Yes, I have trouble recognising hunger and thirst.

I set alarms throughout the day so I know when to eat. I tally up all the glasses of water I've had in a day until I've reached eight. That way I know I've had enough. When my routines are interrupted, it messes everything up and I could go hours and hours without eating, and not drinking enough water in the day.

Last edited by Where_am_I on 23 Mar 2023, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.