I wish I didn't have meltdowns over a job

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 11:18 am

I've been at my currently position close to six months. It's a dream job, really. Decent benefits, decent pay, very flexible work and life balance, and the choice to work remotely at home -- which is what I do.

I just so happened to join a big mess, and I feel so lost. I feel like I am being asked to do things that I have no idea what to do, or I am so clueless I just ask for help and the answer is so obvious I missed it, and now I feel like an idiot and it adds to the reason why I shouldn't ask. I don't really have an idea of how to make my work more manageable. I have a step by step process. That's easy. When it comes to the bigger problems, I have no idea what to do. I just freeze.

And it can be so hard to talk to people, even in a freggin email. Like, come on??? It's really pathetic. I had to lie for weeks about emailing someone, got the courage to do so yesterday, and it was not so bad. And this always happens! I am so goddamn useless. I just freeze up. I freeze up at work, at home, and I waste time to try and forget all the crap I need to do.

I really want to quit and do something else, but I feel like I'll run into the same issue again. Or be in a worse place.

Nobody knows that I am autistic, because I never disclosed it. But if it's getting in the way of my work with being so fearful of social interaction?? I just need to get better I guess. I can type this out for a bunch of strangers but I guess interacting with work people, there are more strings attached.

I try so hard to appear normal and it always cracks through.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:47 am

i can relate to this so much. and the joys of working remotely also brings complications.

a very kind person at work who knows of my diagnosis said i need to practice grounding and mindfulness before my accumulated symptoms begin. and i appreciate her kindness but this doesn't really help if you feel overwhelmed by seemingly "small" tasks (such as composing an email, or even responding to a chat) on top of the big things of handling a big change, or big task, or whatever -- and all of those add up and many times it is "wrong", and it's all too much.

what i am doing to manage is this: if you get PTO, schedule at least one three day weekend a month if it is that flexible for you. that way it is something to look forward to, and you know you have three planned days of recovery to just do whatever you need to regroup.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:49 am

jogashill wrote:
i can relate to this so much. and the joys of working remotely also brings complications.

a very kind person at work who knows of my diagnosis said i need to practice grounding and mindfulness before my accumulated symptoms begin. and i appreciate her kindness but this doesn't really help if you feel overwhelmed by seemingly "small" tasks (such as composing an email, or even responding to a chat) on top of the big things of handling a big change, or big task, or whatever -- and all of those add up and many times it is "wrong", and it's all too much.

what i am doing to manage is this: if you get PTO, schedule at least one three day weekend a month if it is that flexible for you. that way it is something to look forward to, and you know you have three planned days of recovery to just do whatever you need to regroup.

Thank you very much for your response! I agree with you on the small things. Sometimes we can overthink and make the small things become much bigger than they are. I have to force myself to be social, and almost grovel myself to others who are higher on the tier. I don't like that I have to make myself feel like scum so I can get an answer with an ounce of respect.

I do get PTO, and I've scheduled a week long vacation in May, which I am very excited about. I also work nine hours M-TH, so I can take half days on Friday for a longer weekend. It helps, alot. The aspect of my job is that there will be so much for me to do when I get back on Monday. Things need to get done or you will get in trouble. I would like to look into your suggestion, but I am a glutton for work, and I would feel bad for my co-workers who have to cover for me.

I think it's just a lot of other factors that influence my dislike for my job, and that I am only seeing it as a vessel for something better in the future.

~~~~

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 10:07 am

ah, i see, and your schedule makes sense. i would also feel bad for people who had to cover for me, and then the dread of what awaits upon return....

i too am also on the hunt for something better, i.e. something less that could work better for how i work, but also fear that i'll always feel this way with any job, too! so much ugh.

that's exciting you have a whole week vacation! i hope you do get to find a better-suited position, too.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2023, 10:22 am

I've been where I'm at for a year and a half now and honestly, it wasn't until recently that I really felt "comfortable." At the same time, there are times when I don't know what to do and my brain latches onto that as a sign of failure rather than being a human being. One thing that's helped me is working around other people and even seeing people who are good workers, who have been in their position for years, having to ask for help, or walking back a mistake sometimes.

Sometimes that doesn't work either though, because my brain can chime back with "yeah, but they're good at what they do, YOU'RE not." No matter how many times I've been told I am. :?

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 8:52 am

jogashill wrote:
ah, i see, and your schedule makes sense. i would also feel bad for people who had to cover for me, and then the dread of what awaits upon return....

i too am also on the hunt for something better, i.e. something less that could work better for how i work, but also fear that i'll always feel this way with any job, too! so much ugh.

that's exciting you have a whole week vacation! i hope you do get to find a better-suited position, too.

The covering is due to the nature of my job. We always have things to do and things to pay. It never stops in the world of retail, haha.

Job hunting is crazy. I had such a hard time finding a new job. Then I land a nice one and I hate it at times. I've only been here about six months, and I may leave when it gets close to a year. I'll see.

Good luck to finding a new job! :))

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 8:55 am

Nekomonster wrote:
I've been where I'm at for a year and a half now and honestly, it wasn't until recently that I really felt "comfortable." At the same time, there are times when I don't know what to do and my brain latches onto that as a sign of failure rather than being a human being. One thing that's helped me is working around other people and even seeing people who are good workers, who have been in their position for years, having to ask for help, or walking back a mistake sometimes.

Sometimes that doesn't work either though, because my brain can chime back with "yeah, but they're good at what they do, YOU'RE not." No matter how many times I've been told I am. :?

That's how I feel a lot of the time. I am the newest and the youngest in my department. I know what to do in a general sense. It's very easy; anyone can master it in time. The more problematic issues that arise daily are more tricky. Some are common and I know what to do. Some are so random and I have such a tendency to get the off ones, my supervisor will see me approach them and say "Here comes trouble." I feel so guilty. It's something that you have to overcome though. It is okay to ask for help, especially when you have no idea. It is better to ask for help and be 100% sure rather than 99% sure and have that 1% of being wrong.

~~~~

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 12:26 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I've been at my currently position close to six months. It's a dream job, really. Decent benefits, decent pay, very flexible work and life balance, and the choice to work remotely at home -- which is what I do.

I just so happened to join a big mess, and I feel so lost. I feel like I am being asked to do things that I have no idea what to do, or I am so clueless I just ask for help and the answer is so obvious I missed it, and now I feel like an idiot and it adds to the reason why I shouldn't ask. I don't really have an idea of how to make my work more manageable. I have a step by step process. That's easy. When it comes to the bigger problems, I have no idea what to do. I just freeze.

And it can be so hard to talk to people, even in a freggin email. Like, come on??? It's really pathetic. I had to lie for weeks about emailing someone, got the courage to do so yesterday, and it was not so bad. And this always happens! I am so goddamn useless. I just freeze up. I freeze up at work, at home, and I waste time to try and forget all the crap I need to do.

I really want to quit and do something else, but I feel like I'll run into the same issue again. Or be in a worse place.

Nobody knows that I am autistic, because I never disclosed it. But if it's getting in the way of my work with being so fearful of social interaction?? I just need to get better I guess. I can type this out for a bunch of strangers but I guess interacting with work people, there are more strings attached.

If autistic people had a country, the state mascot would be named Abby Normal. :P

Anyways, my previous role at work required me to handle a lot of unpleasant phone calls. (For reasons that are too stupid to get into, the managers weren't ever trained on how to handle those calls)

It's going to depend a bit on the specific issues, but writing email is tough. I've got templates for those kind of things that seem to work OK, but YMMV and if it's simply the fact that somebody has asked you to do it, that's going to be a different matter entirely.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 2:35 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

If autistic people had a country, the state mascot would be named Abby Normal. :P

Anyways, my previous role at work required me to handle a lot of unpleasant phone calls. (For reasons that are too stupid to get into, the managers weren't ever trained on how to handle those calls)

It's going to depend a bit on the specific issues, but writing email is tough. I've got templates for those kind of things that seem to work OK, but YMMV and if it's simply the fact that somebody has asked you to do it, that's going to be a different matter entirely.

Like a lot of things I try and have a script for introductions and replies, but of course it never works out and I have no idea what to do.

~~~~

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 10:23 pm

honeytoast wrote:
SNIP
Like a lot of things I try and have a script for introductions and replies, but of course it never works out and I have no idea what to do.

Obviously, this breaks pretty quickly if you can't control the topic of conversation.TBH, I pretty much only have real conversations with people that I either like a lot or who can hold up the entire conversation on their own if need be. And even amongst the NT population, most folks are terrible at it.

It's kind of the improve thing of just going "yes and." Acknowledge what was said and add something new before passing it back. Brevity makes the process a lot more pleasent anyways. It's neither necessary nor desirable to go on forever. Pass it back and hope that they take longer than they should answering. Yes, it can be a bit of a challenge, just try not to talk about things that you're not at all interested in.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 8:55 am

today is so hard. :(

at least once or twice a week I think about quitting my job. the only thing that keeps me going is money.

~~~~