Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

magicantian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2023, 11:34 am

This is a bit of an odd one I think, but what is all of ya’lls opinions about furries?

I know (firsthand) a big chunk of the furry fandom are autistic and they use their characters as means of socializing and understanding themselves without the worries of being too weird. It’s like presenting yourself without actually presenting yourself. But now that being a furry is not exactly uncommon among youths, I think I can say it is becoming more mainstream.

Of course there is a lot of distain for them from the wider public mostly because of the sexual aspect, which still does exist. I have noticed the fandom has become more of a social group (especially for autistic people) rather than just a sexual one.

I myself used my characters in lieu of my inability to personally connect with people and they have brought me a great deal of catharsis. (If you dont have people with you to help you always have your imagination, I guess!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 5:48 pm

magicantian wrote:
This is a bit of an odd one I think, but what is all of ya’lls opinions about furries?
Many of their costumes are very well-made.

Why they make them and what they do while wearing them is nobody's business but their own.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 2:16 am

Quote:
Opinion on furries

I am an older person and find this curious but interesting.
I enjoy role-playing as a skunk at times, but I am not a "Furry".
I am simply being creative.

I'm a slow thinker and will need time to digest this social phenomenon over time.
Food for thought. 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 2:34 am

I mean I don't really have an issue with it and the costumes can be cool, for some sure there is a sexual component, but so long as they keep that part to themselves and aren't pushing it on people who don't consent to see that I don't really care what a couple furries do behind closed doors. But there is stuff me and my boyfriend do at home that also would not be appropriate in public so not judging but you know there is a time and place for some things.

But Idk I guess I feel it is a bit unfair for people to be so judgmental of them...I mean I honestly think the furry thing is kind of weird but, doesn't necessarily mean it is bad more like just not really my cup of tea.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 2:45 am

*shrug*

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magicantian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2023, 6:58 am

Its nice to see that people really don't care as long as they don't push it onto anyone else.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 8:02 am

People round here really are furry. We’re up in the hills and a long way from civilisation.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 8:51 am

I'm a furry. It's just a fun hobby.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 5:12 pm

Considering how happy I am when nobody is looking walking around with *t-rex arms, I can't say that I'm in a position to judge. It's folks doing things that are out of the norm, but I fail to see any real harm in excess of any other hobby or interest. I certainly don't get how it's really any different from hardcore D&D players and the like, except with possibly more elaborate costuming.

*Obviously, not actual or costume t-rex arms. I'm just glad that I have a phrase that describes where my arms always used to be.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 5:19 am

Meh. People gonna people. It's not like human/animal chimeras or mixed-aspect creatures haven't been around in myth and legend for millennia. If someone wants to dress up like a fox or tiger (or vampire squid), whatever, go nuts. Disney's probably put out more "funny animal" media than half the furry fandom combined; it's not like there isn't already a social and commercial side to it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 10:39 pm

magicantian wrote:
Of course there is a lot of distain for them from the wider public mostly because of the sexual aspect, which still does exist. I have noticed the fandom has become more of a social group (especially for autistic people) rather than just a sexual one.

Was it ever just a sexual thing?

I was under the impression that it always was primarily just cosplay by fans of stories about anthropomorphic furry animals, including everything from Mickey Mouse to werewolves.

Not my thing, but in general I see nothing wrong with most fandoms or cosplay, including the furry varieties. Shared hobbies, of this or any other kind, can be a great way to make friends.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 11:06 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:

No, but people knew it by the tip of the iceberg.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 1:12 pm

Being a furry is something people can do, and only can do, because our forefathers fought and died for us for the freedom which gives us the opportunity to be furries.

When our Chinese overlords finally decide they want to take actual physical control of the USA, there will be no furries. Enjoy it while you can.

aajiplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2023, 2:12 pm

The costumes of the furry are very funny.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:11 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
magicantian wrote:

No, but furry history does involve some sexual aspects. Not entirely. We came out of the nerd and convention culture of the 80s. I recommend the documentary The Fandom that was released a couple years back.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:16 pm

I have no opinion, because I am not one and it makes no difference to me if someone else is or not. It doesn't do anyone any harm, and who is anyone to judge anyone else?