Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 6:36 pm

https://spectrum.ieee.org/time-reversal-interface

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 12:51 pm

Too nerdy, couldn't keep my interest enough to read it thoroughly tbh. Probably neat for physics and computing nerds, though.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 1:51 pm

I knew about the research in the article. It makes sense that ordered patterns smaller than the wavelength of light traveling thru the crystalline material might affect how the waves act as they move. I was pondering how this might be affected using NLO materials as the targets. Red shifting is much easier to do overall than blue shifting using NLO. There might be a way to use this process in a new manner to reverse the trend.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 7:26 pm

As an engineer, I am more interested in the practical applications.  How can this effect be exploited for profit?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 4:36 am

It preserves the state of light even after it bounces off something.
So it can be used to transmit information very efficiently and quickly.

It's supposed to be used in cloaking technology as well.
Under normal circumstances a beam of light might hit a white bathroom tile,then a toothbrush,then your eye.
The toothbrush might be a shade whiter than usual cos the light hit the tile first.

If the toothbrush were made of this stuff in the article:
The toothbrush would seem to be the same material as the wall tile. But it would have the same shape as a toothbrush.
The toothbrush wouldn't be 100% invisible.

But if a tank were made of this material it would confuse the enemy in a war, just enough.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 9:37 am

I might have to reread the article as what I'm describing is basically a mirror. So there must be something I'm not understanding correctly.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:02 am

Ok after rereading:
one thing is that the light in this material sends signals backwards. similar to playing music backwards.

In a computer the signal would have to be reversed using CPU power so transmitting information by light inside a CPU wouldn't be fast. Because this material reverses the signal naturally it requires no CPU power to transmit information by light.

I don't know why the signal needs to be reversed in the first place though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:18 am

Yeah ^.

On one hand...I dont think thats what the article is talking about.

But on the other hand...I cant wrap my head around WTF it IS talking about! :lol:

If my wrist has a band of regular 'crystals' around it (like a diamond bracelet) then those crystals will defract and refract light so they sparkle and look awesome.

But if you were wearing a bracelet of "time crystals" that caused light waves to "travel in time" then ... WTF would that mean?

Lets say that the crystals cause time to go "backwards" then...light hits your bracelet, and then ...goes in reverse and goes backward to the light source? Some of that light would back track out the window and follow the previous root from the sun in the sky. But some light waves would go back to light bulbs on artificial light sources in the room? And then maybe...bake those light sources... causing the light bulbs in the room to all burn out?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 2:39 pm

I was trying to figure out why a signal would have to be backwards for it to be transmitted more efficiently.

If you sent information you could send it backwards and it wouldn't need anymore CPU power ,so I'm still confused about that.

But sending information one piece at a time forwards would seemingly work out fine.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:53 am

I'm a bit scared of time crystals since I saw that episode of Star Trek where Captain Pike looks into the Klingon time crystal and seems himself in a wheelchair with his life dependant on a respirator.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 7:26 am

Well...thats the sorta thing that comes to your mind.

Like if you point a thing with time crystals at the ...lottery page of the newspaper...would you see tomorrow's winning number? Or at the dow jones page, would you see what stocks will go up? And then be able to make a killing?

Aim it at that place in front of the White House where they will put the podium on January 20th 2025, and see...Donald Trump getting sworn in again? (Or De Santis, or Biden for his second term, or whatever).

Or use backward crystals and be able to film Washington crossing the Delaware, or the Crusifiction of Christ, for TV?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:54 am

Hey, it may be tempting to try and use time crystals to find out next weeks lotto numbers but don't mess about with that stuff. Years of watching movies and TV shows have taught me there are always terrible consequences for people who meddle with time.