Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ClickClickBoom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2023, 1:16 am

I am 38 years old and have had a lifetime of difficulties that I would point straight to an autism spectrum disorder. Like a lot of you, I grew up as the "kid that nobody liked". I never really fit in socially growing up. I joined the Army when I was 18 back in 2002. Served four years around the world to include over a year in Iraq. Then got out as a young E-5 in 2006 and started college in 2007. Graduated in December 2010 with a business degree.

Had a hell of a fine life for two short years, 2011-2013. I lived up in Wyoming and worked at a coal mine across the border in Montana. Nearly fell in love in 2012 when I was 28 but was too scared and uncertain to take the opportunity. Lost my job in 2013 and was already stuck with someone else I didn't really want. Wasted two years in crappy jobs there before I took this job in MT at a sugar factory. That didn't work out either. I was treated like poo again until they axed me with 2 other employees in 2018.

So I moved to the Denver area shortly after that. Started out with Uber full time, then got a job in 2019 as a sales rep/delivery driver. Still doing that today with Lyft on the side. Broke up with the girl I didn't want last April. Been back out there dating and relating since then. Trying to make peace with the past while confronting the future. I guess that's my nearly forty year life in three paragraphs LOL.

I had no idea that I may be on the spectrum until I was 30. My parents finally sat down with me and told me that I may have born with Asperger's syndrome or some other type of autism spectrum disorder. I was down and out at the time so I had more immediate issues to deal with then. Now I really want to understand and deal with it at 38.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 3:50 am

Hi. Welcome.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 8:02 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I have Asperger's syndrome. I did not even realize that I had this condition until around 5 years ago. I am not 76 years old. I had lived my life and I was retired for around 6 years when I dug into why I was a little different than most people.

Like you, I joined the military. It was during the Vietnam War and I was about to be drafted. I was able to get into the Guards and survived the war. I actually drew lottery #1 in the first year of the draft, so I automatically knew I would either pick a service or be drafted.

I have analyzed how I became me. It is an interesting story actually. It came about when I was around 3 or 4 years old. I died. I was a small boy out in my backyard and a large bull attacked me and killed me. Never stand behind a bull. I weighed about 20 pounds or less and the bull weighed about 1000. It was like being attacked by a dinosaur.

I experienced at this early age, what is called a NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE. I actually saw my dead body placed on my bed and my parents standing next to me in utter horror. Well humans are a very complex creation. We have multiple people inside us. One is the left dominant side of out brain. It is our daytime brain. The other exist on the right side and it is our nightime brain. It exist in our dream state called REM and NREM. Long story short, after I died, my body did a brain flip. The right side came online and became my dominant brain. It is a very different brain then the other. Eventually my left side came back and switched places and became my nightime brain.

If you are a little bit like me, you have very remarkable abilities. But you also have very deep flaws. The whole secret to living a good life is believe in yourself and use your strengths to overcome your weaknesses.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 10:21 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I think it's nice another veteran has joined the crowd. (I was in the Air Force!)

I was 64 when I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), with an observation that I also satisfied the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome. A number of us here who passed a number of birthdays before getting diagnosed note that a great thing about the diagnosis is that it explains so much. I hope you also like the self-understanding it offers you.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 3:06 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, as I see that you get first access to the galley and other vip areas.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Thank you for your service!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 5:50 am

welcome! Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 6:37 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!