Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2023, 12:58 am

i think anxiety is making me grind my teeth and jaw when i don't realize it. some of you suggested a special. and i'm set to see one soon so thanks!
so im wondering if anybody has trouble with how it actually "feels to talk". my suspicion is that i naturally speak very monotone and colorless but have learned to over animate and it feels very laborious. I'm also a singer and i experience the same muffled feeling. what feels natural to me sounds very bland and almost inaudible but i feel almost zero discomfort..i mean it feels like even my resonance is off. there should be space in my mouth for sound to bounce off of or something. i can feel my tongue blocking certain diction and the words get caught in the back of my cheeks or something. i figured id ask yal. thanks in advance.!

timf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 6:19 am

Singing (more than regular speech) requires emotion. I once saw a TV interview of a young girl who had just won a prestigious musical competition in Russia. The interviewer who played the same instrument asked her how someone as young as herself could put such emotion in her music. She answered that she had recently read Anna Karenina. I suspect that those of us with Aspergers are not lacking in emotion, but rather, because our expression is more often intentional than reflexive, we do not allow an emotional components in our communication.

You may wish to experiment with your music to see if you can intentionally place an emotional component it it.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2023, 11:04 pm

timf wrote:
Singing (more than regular speech) requires emotion. I once saw a TV interview of a young girl who had just won a prestigious musical competition in Russia. The interviewer who played the same instrument asked her how someone as young as herself could put such emotion in her music. She answered that she had recently read Anna Karenina. I suspect that those of us with Aspergers are not lacking in emotion, but rather, because our expression is more often intentional than reflexive, we do not allow an emotional components in our communication.

You may wish to experiment with your music to see if you can intentionally place an emotional component it it.

thats an excellent suggestion. and i resonate with the statement about emotions being mor intentional than reflex

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm

Speech is physically laborious for me.
I'm aware of every movement in my mouth and face.
I'm so "in my head" that it feels almost like dissociation to speak.

cool09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2023, 8:42 pm

I stopped talking when I was 13. Didn't talk for 5 years. I was dissociating and was very detached from myself and my speech.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 4:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Speech is physically laborious for me.
I'm aware of every movement in my mouth and face.
I'm so "in my head" that it feels almost like dissociation to speak.

oh my yes! i feel everything too. know with it also feels like...it feels like half of my body is trying to stop the other half talk. I also find myself struggling to find the right words and reciting lines from movies or songs and my mind snaps right to that moment. i did this back from childhood.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 4:50 pm

cool09 wrote:
I stopped talking when I was 13. Didn't talk for 5 years. I was dissociating and was very detached from myself and my speech.

i hope you got the support you deserved

cool09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2023, 6:49 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
cool09 wrote:

i hope you got the support you deserved

I didn't get any professional help. My parents thought I was going to grow out of it but I never did. Detachment continued into my 30's. Don't ask me how I got thru college.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2023, 6:56 pm

I had not long ago done a video about "Speech Apraxia" and shortly I will be publishing a video about "Stuttering".

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2023, 9:31 pm

i'll watch thanks. i recently had a melt down and lost motor skills and verbal skills. they have pretty much returned. speech is a big off still. this first happened 1 am last night
Headache
Stress & Meltdown
loss of full bodily control
loss of fluent speech

I originally thought it might be ischemic attach but my face felt no paralysis plus i can think clearly. anybody relate?

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2023, 9:44 pm

ok so i watched a video called "speech example of apraxia of speech" on youtube and most of of the things i can do, but went it goes to the rapid "ka ka ka ka...." i can do it first then i get light headed and my speech seems to stray. do you think that i might have a minor case of apraxia (is that even possible) my skills seem to come and go. thank you guys so much

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2023, 4:49 am

Here's another form of "Speech Difficulty" which is: STUTTERING

I once used to stutter back in the 90's and nowadays it has been treated, even in this video content I do explain how was my stuttering treated.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ