Page 3 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 11:47 am

Plato seems to have worked out the formula for this cycle 2400 or so years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_cy ... %20tyranny.

For reals. Kinda an eerie truth.. but makes sense - especially considering we have thousands of years of organized human society to compare to his political structure cycle and can see that he was in fact correctamundo bigly time.

Relevant quote from the text:

Plato wrote:
Plato. Plato describes his cycle of governments in his work Republic, Book VIII and IX. He distinguishes five forms of government: aristocracy, timocracy, oligarchy, democracy, and tyranny, and writes that governments devolve respectively in this order from aristocracy into tyranny.

So, it's simply the USA's time to (d)evolve into being led by a tyrant. Other forms of government tend to go in cycles, or pendulum swings back and forth between parties in a democracy, until people grow tired & wary of the entire system when it's not exactly working out in their best interest anymore.. and that's not necessarily because the system of government is a failure, IMO, it's more that the people in that system have exploited and abused the system and the population for their own greed at the expense of the people to such an extreme that people get frustrated at both the people controlling the system and the system itself in it's entirety.. so frustrated that they're willing to listen to the rantings of a madman tyrant who tells them what they want to hear - that he can and will do better for them. So blinded by their anger at the system, they fall for his BS and elevate him to some strange god-like leader status as member of the F the system cult, this guy says he IS the change we need!

Something like that is the reason the US is so fascist.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2023, 3:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

For reals. Kinda an eerie truth.. but makes sense - especially considering we have thousands of years of organized human society to compare to his political structure cycle and can see that he was in fact correctamundo bigly time.

Plato wrote:
Plato. Plato describes his cycle of governments in his work Republic, Book VIII and IX. He distinguishes five forms of government: aristocracy, timocracy, oligarchy, democracy, and tyranny, and writes that governments devolve respectively in this order from aristocracy into tyranny.

So, it's simply the USA's time to (d)evolve into being led by a tyrant. Other forms of government tend to go in cycles, or pendulum swings back and forth between parties in a democracy, until people grow tired & wary of the entire system when it's not exactly working out in their best interest anymore.. and that's not necessarily because the system of government is a failure, IMO, it's more that the people in that system have exploited and abused the system and the population for their own greed at the expense of the people to such an extreme that people get frustrated at both the people controlling the system and the system itself in it's entirety.. so frustrated that they're willing to listen to the rantings of a madman tyrant who tells them what they want to hear - that he can and will do better for them. So blinded by their anger at the system, they fall for his BS and elevate him to some strange god-like leader status as member of the F the system cult, this guy says he IS the change we need!

News Update: Trump has not been President for three years and will never be again. There is a new president named Joe Biden. You all are hilarious.

Trump is hardly in the news cycle I watch. He is no one’s leader. Neither is Biden and he is currently in charge so to speak.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 5:08 pm

^Why are you so sure that "Trump will never" be POTUS again?

He could legally, and is in fact, running for a second term. And he is polling high among Republicans. So he could be nominated again, giving him a fifty-fifty shot again.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2023, 10:44 am

How many more of these threads whining about a non-existent Fascist threat do we need?

I sometimes wish our societies were more 'Fascist' so the liberals in here would have something genuine to wet their pants over.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Mar 2023, 11:31 am

goldfish21 wrote:

Plato wrote:

This is obviously wrong.

Plato, of course, has the excuse of living thousands of years ago, before almost all of recorded history had happened. Anyone writing today should be able to observe that democracy does not necessarily, or even usually, lead to tyranny, and that tyranny is not the end of the story.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 12:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't think they should be totally banned but there are certainly people who should not be allowed to own guns.

Problem is that the HIPPA laws prevent many of the mentally ill from being identified to law enforcement or the ATF

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 1:54 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
How many more of these threads whining about a non-existent Fascist threat do we need?

I sometimes wish our societies were more 'Fascist' so the liberals in here would have something genuine to wet their pants over.

I should have put 'What's with all the Christian Nationalism in the U.S?' but I can't change the title now. Though there are certainly similarities between the two.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2023, 3:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
^Why are you so sure that "Trump will never" be POTUS again?

He could legally, and is in fact, running for a second term. And he is polling high among Republicans. So he could be nominated again, giving him a fifty-fifty shot again.

I admit that is a flaw in my argument. I had not seen those polls. I have a hard time believing they are accurate. I believe the news and polls feed us drama.

I thought my assumption about third trimester abortions was poignant. No one advised me that my assumption was false so maybe it is true. I guess I will have to do my own research.

Groups can never admit they are wrong because the group would then fall apart. Only individuals can admit they are wrong. That is the argument for never belonging to a group.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 5:25 pm

JimJohn wrote:
Aspinator wrote:
I feel one of the main reasons is that people won't admit Trump is a fascist. He has openly stated he doesn't believe in democracy and that the press is the enemy of the people I can't believe that some members of his party openly support a Trump dictatorship. There's a reason he supports Putin and Kim Jong Un; they are role models to him.

News Update: Trump hasn’t been President for three years now.

He did not state he doesn’t believe in democracy. That is ludicrous. He certainly had a lot to say about the press most of which appears true.

It isn’t his party. That is like saying it is Gerald Ford’s party. Granted, Gerald Ford is dead.

Why wouldn’t I admit that Trump is facist? He didn’t fuel a war in Europe. I will admit that he made a lot of claims of election fraud. That is a bit suspect.

But … he is out of office. Everything was peaceful until all those George Floyd protests with ANTIFA. You can’t really blame him for any of that. ANTIFA and those protesters are not exactly Republican.

I have a big issue with people calling January 6th an insurrection and that Trump was the ring leader. Very few people want Trump as President again but it is disgusting to watch people lie about things.

No, Trump hasn't been President since he LOST to Biden. That said, he has pushed the baseless lie that the election had been stolen from him, and has made clear he still has Presidential ambitions. His acolytes in government are keeping MAGA fascism alive and well, and are also promoting the slow motion coup by voter suppression, along with the lie that Trump had defeated Biden. All that is latent fascism in waiting, its adherents plotting to do away with the rule of law and free government, all for Trump's cult of personality.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 6:31 pm

JimJohn wrote:

One of the explanations that I am coming up with in my ignorance is that an abortion in the third trimester involves taking the baby out of the body which is technically a birth before euthanizing it. I welcome someone to tell me that is wrong for my own edification.

They give an injection to stop the fetal heartbeat before the abortion. They don't remove a live baby and then euthanize it. The reason for third trimester abortions is because its medically less risky than going into labor and giving birth when there are severe complications later in the pregnancy. Basically, people who get them wanted to have a baby but something has gone severely wrong.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 6:45 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
JimJohn wrote:

One of the explanations that I am coming up with in my ignorance is that an abortion in the third trimester involves taking the baby out of the body which is technically a birth before euthanizing it. I welcome someone to tell me that is wrong for my own edification.

They give an injection to stop the fetal heartbeat before the abortion. They don't remove a live baby and then euthanize it. The reason for third trimester abortions is because its medically less risky than going into labor and giving birth when there are severe complications later in the pregnancy. Basically, people who get them wanted to have a baby but something has gone severely wrong.

And it should be added, this sort of abortion is very rarely used.
So called "partial birth abortion" is bullsh*t dreamed up by the right's talking heads.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 2:10 am

The_Walrus wrote:
The biggest issue is that you give disproportionate representation to people in rural communities, via a gerrymandered House, a Senate with a heavy rural skew, and the electoral college. This even ends up affecting the Supreme Court, where presidents pandering to rural interests get to pick most justices.

We have a similar gerrymandered parliament in Australia that is disproportionately skewed toward rural voters.

Again a history lesson is in order. If you go back to the foundations of colonies like Australia. Canada and the USA, all of the wealth of the country was bound to farmland, mining and forestry (I think also the fur trade in Canada and the seal/whale trade in Australia was important in the early colonies)

Not surprisingly landowners wielded disproportionate power in these early colonies.

But in the US, these landowners made up an alliance of slaveholders who shared common economic interests in subjugation of slaves to maintain their profits. The founding fathers very cleverly wrote the constitution to protect their interests and not the interests of the American people. So they enacted three clauses to allow slavery of humans. They also permitted the continued genocide of the native Americans which opened up the best farmland, mining and forests for development for the existing wealthy elite who only got richer and whose descendants are the elite in modern US.

In doing so it became legal to treat black people as subhuman. There is a myth that the common American didn't own slaves but this didn't stop them from despising anyone who wasn't white, men, women and children. One small example - For much of American history black people could not travel. If they did they risked getting lynched by common people. Not just for stopping to purchase food or petrol but even to use public facilities

Imagine that, having to drive non-stop without daring to stop even to relieve yourself in case a police officer arrested you or worse.

The constitutional race laws that came later including Jim Crow basically provided the basis for the formation of the fascist race laws in Nazi Germany and apartheid south Africa. The United States founded a society that gave rise to concentration camps, genocide and dehumanisation laws around segregation in both the US but also to the fascist regimes of Germany, South Africa, German occupied Namibia, Japan, Argentia, Paraguay, Chile and Italy.

You can't wake up after 400 years and expect everything to turn on it's head. The legacy lives on and will take several generations of battling conservatives to reverse the old privileges.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2023, 9:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The biggest issue is that you give disproportionate representation to people in rural communities, via a gerrymandered House, a Senate with a heavy rural skew, and the electoral college. This even ends up affecting the Supreme Court, where presidents pandering to rural interests get to pick most justices.

We have a similar gerrymandered parliament in Australia that is disproportionately skewed toward rural voters.

Again a history lesson is in order. If you go back to the foundations of colonies like Australia. Canada and the USA, all of the wealth of the country was bound to farmland, mining and forestry (I think also the fur trade in Canada and the seal/whale trade in Australia was important in the early colonies)

Not surprisingly landowners wielded disproportionate power in these early colonies.

But in the US, these landowners made up an alliance of slaveholders who shared common economic interests in subjugation of slaves to maintain their profits. The founding fathers very cleverly wrote the constitution to protect their interests and not the interests of the American people. So they enacted three clauses to allow slavery of humans. They also permitted the continued genocide of the native Americans which opened up the best farmland, mining and forests for development for the existing wealthy elite who only got richer and whose descendants are the elite in modern US.

In doing so it became legal to treat black people as subhuman. There is a myth that the common American didn't own slaves but this didn't stop them from despising anyone who wasn't white, men, women and children. One small example - For much of American history black people could not travel. If they did they risked getting lynched by common people. Not just for stopping to purchase food or petrol but even to use public facilities

Imagine that, having to drive non-stop without daring to stop even to relieve yourself in case a police officer arrested you or worse.

The constitutional race laws that came later including Jim Crow basically provided the basis for the formation of the fascist race laws in Nazi Germany and apartheid south Africa. The United States founded a society that gave rise to concentration camps, genocide and dehumanisation laws around segregation in both the US but also to the fascist regimes of Germany, South Africa, German occupied Namibia, Japan, Argentia, Paraguay, Chile and Italy.

You can't wake up after 400 years and expect everything to turn on it's head. The legacy lives on and will take several generations of battling conservatives to reverse the old privileges.

While it may be true that the first person to own slaves in the US was not a black person they were one of the first. Are you saying Black slave owners could not travel freely?

People can spin a narrative in many ways for political reasons. That much is for certain.

Fact check that if you like. It does seem that there were many black slave owners that owned many slaves. It is part of the census. If you find convincing evidence my facts are incorrect I will admit it unlike the rest of you all.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2023, 9:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
JimJohn wrote:

I did a little research. Granted, not much. I read they dilate the cervix and scrap out the uterus. I kinda doubt they can get a needle in there. But …. if you say so I will consider the possibility. I am not an abortion opponent. I just have an interest in the craziness of people and how they believe as sorts of things on both sides of an issue.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2023, 9:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JimJohn wrote:
Aspinator wrote:
I feel one of the main reasons is that people won't admit Trump is a fascist. He has openly stated he doesn't believe in democracy and that the press is the enemy of the people I can't believe that some members of his party openly support a Trump dictatorship. There's a reason he supports Putin and Kim Jong Un; they are role models to him.

News Update: Trump hasn’t been President for three years now.

He did not state he doesn’t believe in democracy. That is ludicrous. He certainly had a lot to say about the press most of which appears true.

It isn’t his party. That is like saying it is Gerald Ford’s party. Granted, Gerald Ford is dead.

Why wouldn’t I admit that Trump is facist? He didn’t fuel a war in Europe. I will admit that he made a lot of claims of election fraud. That is a bit suspect.

But … he is out of office. Everything was peaceful until all those George Floyd protests with ANTIFA. You can’t really blame him for any of that. ANTIFA and those protesters are not exactly Republican.

I have a big issue with people calling January 6th an insurrection and that Trump was the ring leader. Very few people want Trump as President again but it is disgusting to watch people lie about things.

No, Trump hasn't been President since he LOST to Biden. That said, he has pushed the baseless lie that the election had been stolen from him, and has made clear he still has Presidential ambitions. His acolytes in government are keeping MAGA fascism alive and well, and are also promoting the slow motion coup by voter suppression, along with the lie that Trump had defeated Biden. All that is latent fascism in waiting, its adherents plotting to do away with the rule of law and free government, all for Trump's cult of personality.

I don’t think you know what his adherents think or want. You are just regurgitating what you hear from Whoopie Goldberg and those other stupid people on the voice or whatever.

I certainly admit that claims of election fraud are unsettling. I would never vote for Trump if there was a good alternative.

Also, why can I not have concerns about voting that does not require identification? That is also unsettling. What does the vote miraculously change after election night. Why not instill confidence in the voting system instead of obscuring it? Why obscure it?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 9:25 am

Why are we so fascist?

Because people still have these mindsets:

Now proficient in ChatGPT!