Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:16 am

Yeah I used to read a lot of star trek books, I read all of the dune books as well. I need to read them again because there's a lot going on in them.

I'm thinking of ideas for a film set in the 'alien' universe at the moment.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 4:45 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Typically folk have a special fondness for their first Doctor. Mine was Tom Baker; which was yours?

However, I hold all of the classic Doctor's in high esteem.

He's my favorite as well, but I'm starting to think that it might just be because I could easily identify him as being the one with the long scarf.

I think there's just something to love about just how scrappy the production team was back then. Very small budgets and so many uses for trash bags. If MacGyver is known for duct tape, then Dr. Who of that era would probably be known for trash bags.

Prozac Bear
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2023, 5:31 am

I think the dodgy bits of old doctor who are half the fun. I make a sport out of spotting discontinuities, or reused props. I get probably more fun these days learning about behind the scenes things than I do from watching the show.

In the UK you can sort of map social changes over the last 60 years against the changes in doctor who.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 5:26 pm

Prozac Bear wrote:
I think the dodgy bits of old doctor who are half the fun. I make a sport out of spotting discontinuities, or reused props. I get probably more fun these days learning about behind the scenes things than I do from watching the show.

In the UK you can sort of map social changes over the last 60 years against the changes in doctor who.

That's interesting and probably shouldn't be terribly surprising. We don't generally get UK programming until a bit later, so it kind of distorts that even further.

I still remember watching Red Dwarf the second year that it played here in Seattle and being like WTF is this that I'm watching. And then being like, this one of the most awesome things ever when it clicked. It's kind of amazing how my station was one of the ones that ultimately saved it as somehow our opinions mattered more than the people whose fees were funding it did. I'm glad they eventually returned it to the more comedy with incidental space stuff format in the last few series.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 5:36 pm

IMDb's "Trivia" for Red Dwarf includes the following:

Quote:
Because the series was made by the BBC's light entertainment department, it had a better budget when it started than the drama department's long-running science fiction series Doctor Who (1963) at the same time. According to Sophie Aldred on the DVD commentary for Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis: Part Three (1988), the budget for one episode of Red Dwarf was the equivalent to a whole season of Doctor Who (1963).

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 5:15 am

I'm going to stick a hand up for Blakes 7 and Red Dwarf. :)

Prozac Bear
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2023, 5:45 am

I really enjoyed the first five(ish) years of Red Dwarf. I remember watching the first ever episode, and it instantly became appointment viewing every week.

I loved Blakes 7, certainly up until Blake left (spoiler alert). I had a crush on Avon for a while. Although a few episodes are so offensively misogynist, watching them just stresses me out too much. Years later Firefly became almost a modern Blakes 7.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 9:30 am

I need to watch Blake's seven. I've heard nothing but good about it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 5:14 pm

klanka wrote:
I need to watch Blake's seven. I've heard nothing but good about it.

There's a lesser known sequel set on the English waterways.
It was called Blake's Severn.

Oumuamua
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2023, 8:08 am

Hi everyone!

Amidst a hyperfocus Im writing this as a first post, so Ill return here, because Im craving social connection and belonging and am already feeling that here just reading for 5 min.

Im 27, male, comp sci degree - priviledged and stereotypical and yet blown away by realizing being autistic, falling into an burnout 3 months ago where im still in.

Firstofall, cant express how great of a place youve all created, and am so proud of ourselves, every autistic person that ever existed.

Love fossils & am planing to go search for some in a few weeks (first time)!

Have to take time to read more thoroughly and invest effort for quality, and get my arthreus keyboard for typing, so sorry for this blob / low quality & thanks for being here & maybe reading this everyone!