Knowing when and if to stop a relationship.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 9:46 am

How long had you known her when you promised to stay together forever?

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 12:11 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
How long had you known her when you promised to stay together forever?

ack, another embarrassing and pathetic question. perhaps the 4th or 5th day?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 12:31 pm

I think many couples, in the throws of new love, make such promises. Most people (but maybe not BPD individuals) realize that these aren't serious promises. It is a very sweet thing to say. Many of these couples realize that they aren't compatible and break up. They don't hold the other one to the promise they made.

It is admirable that you want to keep your promises.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 12:41 pm

Back in 1999 I stood at the front of a Church, in front of a pastor and probably 100 friends and family members, and promised to my wife that we would be together forever, in sickness and health, for richer or poorer, etc. She did the same to me. I always knew, though, that it might not work out and we would separate. I also knew that there was no way I could say to her "You are absolutely forbidden to leave me because of the promise you made."

The divorce rates show that just under 50% of people don't keep that promise.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm

Readydaer wrote:
Call me Lennon, because I need help. (trigger warning for self harm)

So 8 days ago I met this girl online through a Discord server focused on an anime/manga we both like. She seemed interesting from her messages and friendly, so I told her so with a PM. She was receptive and I made some recommendations to her, and on a whim I added what i would call an ambiguously gay heart when she said she'd check them out. She was also receptive to that, and I decided to flirt with her a bit. She was extremely receptive, and in 2 hours and 8 minutes I had a girlfriend.

She was aware that I am autistic and I that she had borderline personality disorder and adhd. The first 2 or so days were nice and loving, and it went so nicely that she confessed her love for me quickly. I'm no stranger to relationships moving quickly, but I was nonetheless caught a little off guard, but still reciprocated. I was and am sure it wasn't a grooming situation partly because I instigated and partly because she was too vulnerable to do things like that, among her words and actions.

Speaking of actions, I learned quickly that she was a cutter. She had a breakdown and I helped her through it as best as I could, being supportive, kind, and forgiving, but she still ended up doing it. I got her through that as well. From then on I told her every day to tell me how she felt on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being 'i want to kill myself right now,' and 10 being 'this is the greatest day of my life,' and help her through the day. The highest it got was 4, and the lowest 1.9. She's been either physically or mentally sick all the rest of the days, with brief periods of the girl I started dating showing through.

At first I didn't mind comforting her because it was kind of my job as a girlfriend, but I'm getting tired. Call me pathetic, but we thought each other was the one, yet now I'm not sure I can be strong for her forever. Constantly worrying about her is taking a toll on my mental health, and I just want her to be happy. We made promises to each other, and I take those very seriously. Promises like staying together forever. You'll probably think I'm a fool, and I wouldn't blame you. I know I couldn't expect a relationship with no bumps, but I don't know if I can handle this forever. I want her to get better. It's frustrating when she hates herself and I tell her all the reasons she shouldn't but she ignores them. I calmed her down through a panic attack and it didn't make her feel better at all.

Relationships are supposed to be give and take, but I feel like I'm almost always giving. She really does love me and I think I feel the same way, and I'm terrified that if I break up with her and break all our promises, she might cut, or worse, if you know what I mean, and I really don't need that guilt on my back. I'm not sure this is healthy for me, but I can't just leave her. I'm at a loss. I don't want to lose someone again, but she's frustrating me so much. What's it all for? Is this worth my time? She really helped me with my depression, and I don't want to go back to that hole.

Please give me advice, WP.

It's natural to feel overwhelmed, and it doesn't make you pathetic. It's essential to remember that you're not responsible for her happiness or mental health. You can be supportive, but ultimately, she needs to seek professional help to address her issues. It's not sustainable for you to be her sole source of support, as this will negatively impact your own well-being.

Consider having an open and honest conversation with her about your concerns and feelings. Encourage her to seek therapy or counselling for her mental health struggles. It's important to establish boundaries and ensure you're taking care of yourself too.

It's okay to reevaluate a relationship if it's affecting your mental health. Breaking promises is difficult, but prioritizing your well-being is essential. If you decide that this relationship is not healthy for you, it's crucial to communicate your decision with care and understanding. Remember, you're not responsible for her actions following a breakup.

Seek support from friends, family, or a therapist to help you navigate this challenging situation. Prioritize self-care and remember that your mental health matters too.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:35 pm

so...ultimately, breaking promises doesn't have to be a bad thing, if it's realistic?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:43 pm

Readydaer wrote:
so...ultimately, breaking promises doesn't have to be a bad thing, if it's realistic?

Absolutely.

One shouldn't make unrealistic promises, but if one has made a promise of that nature one is obliged to inform the other party the promise might have been overly optimistic.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

Absolutely.

One shouldn't make unrealistic promises, but if one has made a promise of that nature one is obliged to inform the other party the promise might have been overly optimistic.

I see. I was thinking too rigidly.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:57 pm

Readydaer wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

Absolutely.

I see. I was thinking too rigidly.

I think we're all prone to it (what with ASD and all) and it takes practice to learn to recognize that one has made an unrealistic promise, as well as to force yourself to confront that issue up front instead of waiting for the consequences.

It's healthier than the alternative though, which is to just stick to the unrealistic promise no matter how much suffering it causes.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 5:22 pm

The simple answer is that if you are asking that question, you probably should. People don't typically think "Should I stop this?" in a healthy, happy relationship

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:42 pm

I understand. I think I'm resolute in how I'll handle it from now on. Thanks everyone