Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 12:05 am

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:35 am

Fnord wrote:
Please, let us not speculate about the shooter's motive.

The police have a manifesto, and will reveal details about it when they are ready.

Speculation drives conspiracy theories which, in turn, inspire others to react inappropriately -- even dangerously.

Agreed.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:39 am

KitLily wrote:
Oh gosh if this shooter was trans it'll give the anti trans movement a huge boost, won't it. OMG no.

Can you imagine. 'Don't allow trans people to own guns. Don't allow them to have the same rights as other Americans.' :x

How many autistic ppl have been implicated in mass shootings?
Just saying.

I think it is more pertinent to point out that "Mental Illness" is mostly the cause of mass shootings.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Two sources are confirming Hale was Autistic.

It doesn't surprise me that this has entered the arena.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:48 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Female mass shooters are rare, but that doesn't make it any less of a tragedy. It is clear that in the US its far too easy for people mentally unfit to possess a firearm to obtain them. May the victims RIP

Agreed.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 2:53 am

Looks like the latest mass shooter is autistic again. How long before we get stereotyped

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... order.html

- George Bernie Shaw

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 4:01 am

Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh gosh if this shooter was trans it'll give the anti trans movement a huge boost, won't it. OMG no.

Can you imagine. 'Don't allow trans people to own guns. Don't allow them to have the same rights as other Americans.' :x

Just saying.

I think it is more pertinent to point out that "Mental Illness" is mostly the cause of mass shootings.

Yes.

It was rare for this sort of thing to make the news when I was growing up, when it did Bob Geldorf wrote a song about it and it was a number 1 hit single.

I'm of the opinion that anti-depressants and other pills being given to kids at a very young age has quite a lot to do with it, but it is also very disturbing seeing what's happening with vulnerable people being radicalised into extreme politics and hate. There is a massively disproportionate amount of people being arrested in connection with antifa who are trans and/or have drug problems.

Three 9 year olds shot dead. Good grief, my thoughts are with their families.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2023, 9:42 am

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2023, 9:52 am

lostproperty wrote:
Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Just saying.

Yes.

It was rare for this sort of thing to make the news when I was growing up, when it did Bob Geldorf wrote a song about it and it was a number 1 hit single.

I'm of the opinion that anti-depressants and other pills being given to kids at a very young age has quite a lot to do with it, but it is also very disturbing seeing what's happening with vulnerable people being radicalised into extreme politics and hate. There is a massively disproportionate amount of people being arrested in connection with antifa who are trans and/or have drug problems.

Three 9 year olds shot dead. Good grief, my thoughts are with their families.

On a related note. I know this will be an extremely unpopular/controversial opinion, but I think it's high time progressives finally admit the deinstitutionalization movement started as part of the Johnson administration's Great Society program has been an abject failure.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 10:55 am

Art instructor says Nashville school shooter was ‘suffering’ in recent social media posts

Quote:
A college art instructor who taught the Nashville school shooter told CNN the attacker once had an outburst in class and appeared to be “suffering” in social media posts over the past year.

Maria Colomy, the instructor, taught the shooter, identified by police as Audrey Hale, for two semesters in 2017 at Nossi College of Art & Design in Nashville. On the first day of class, Hale could not figure out how to set up a password, became upset and had to leave the classroom, Colomy told CNN. It was Hale’s only outburst, she said.

Colomy described Hale as a small, quiet student and described Hale’s work as “whimsical” and “childlike.”

“I could have seen (Hale) doing children’s books for a living,” Colomy said.

Colomy followed Hale on Facebook, and for the past year Hale’s posts grieved the apparent death of a former girls’ basketball teammate, the instructor said.

“The only thing I would see her post would be about this girl,” she said.

It was around this time that Hale expressed on Facebook a desire to use he/him pronouns and the name Aiden. Police have said Hale was transgender.

“From what I saw on her social, she was suffering,” Colomy said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 11:26 am

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
On a related note. I know this will be an extremely unpopular/controversial opinion, but I think it's high time progressives finally admit the deinstitutionalization movement started as part of the Johnson administration's Great Society program has been an abject failure.

They got the first part right, deinstitutionalizing, but fumbled providing services to those whom they deinstitutionalized. As if this surprised anyone.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 11:35 am

Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Just saying.

Oh yes, totally.. if you mean people are naming their guns "Mental Illness," then I completely agree. In those cases, 100%, "Mental Illness," is mostly the cause of mass shootings. (Because it's the guns. Everywhere has mental illness, ~only the USA has more guns than people.)

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 11:53 am

I see this as an attempt to villanize autistic people. Is there any wonder most autistic people choose not to identify they are autistic?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 12:03 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Looks like the latest mass shooter is autistic again. How long before we get stereotyped

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... order.html

The shooter was only described as "autistic" (and then it seems only by the media ). This has already been debunked by family members.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 1:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Two sources are confirming Hale was Autistic.

It doesn't surprise me that this has entered the arena.

The two sources are Richard Cook who was Hale’s high school graphic design teacher and a unnamed source “close to the family”
So far much more attention is being paid Hale’s trans identity then Hale’s autism. This is not surprising as trans identity is the culture war issue of the moment.

But in many of the high profile mass killing incidents the killer has been identified as autistic. We have the Sandy Hook shooter, The Parkland High School shooter, The Incel who ran over people in Toronto and others. Too many to be ignored

As said many many times Autism does not cause mass shootings. Autistic people are more likely to be victims of violence. Autistic people often have co morbid mental illnesses due to mistreatment and frustration with traits.

Guns don’t cause mass shootings, but they are a factor. You can’t have mass shootings without guns.

During the 60s and 70s America had loads of guns available. High school students brought weapons to school. Shooting/Rifle and pistol clubs were as common as glee clubs. There were plenty of drugs and mental illness. But these incidents were rare, “mass shooting” was not in the vernacular. There was plenty of gun violence but it was not random. Domestic incidents, street crime, mass shootings were gang related.

So what has changed?
The rates of mental illness has skyrocketed in general. Autistics are particularly vulnerable due to more sensory stimulation and more social expectations.

There were “Assault weapons” but kids did not have them, they could not afford them. Unless you were a collector or in s gang there was no reason to have them, people generally were just not going around massacring strangers.

The big difference doing a random mass shooting was not a thought. There were few examples to give people the idea that this is a thing to do.

DanielW wrote:
The shooter was only described as "autistic" (and then it seems only by the media ). This has already been debunked by family members.

If you post some links where Hale being autistic is denied that would be helpful.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman