Combat Sports 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
Racing 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
eSports only, thanks 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:10 pm

Racing was too loud for me too ^ but I didn't have a choice because I was a kid, and my dad used to make us go. It was also too bright and sunny and too ... everything ... but at least I did it.

My brother had a dirtbike. I just wrote about that before my post got eaten somehow. My friend's brother was a really high-level BMX rider and he was killed on a jump around age 17. :(

I did mountain biking for a few years, just recreational but I was really quite good at it. Went to the Rockies as well as the Appalachians to ride. One of my partners was into long-distance cycling so I used to that for a year or two which is hard to believe, but I guess we tend to do things in relationships. FXE we'd ride from Leaside down to Cherry Beach, around Harbourfront and to the Island, then home through Cabbagetown and Riverside along the Don. I guess I was pretty fit back then.

dkfjsldfjskfjskd. Just wrote another paragraph and it highlighted blue for no reason and vanished.

I give up.

Later.

Skiing - First time I went at Mont-Tremblant as a child I hit a tree. Haven't done much more but I've been to a few ski resorts mostly for mout

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:14 pm

Lol -- partial paragraph there? Don't even remember writing that.

I guess I'll infer what I was saying. I haven't done much x-country but a little bit including at the Island, High Park, and Blue Mountain. I've been snowshoeing if that counts! I mostly went to ski resorts for mountain biking.

My family was also really into snowmobiling which I hated at the time, but now I realise it must have been fun.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Racing was too loud for me too ^ but I didn't have a choice because I was a kid, and my dad used to make us go. It was also too bright and sunny and too ... everything ... but at least I did it.

That sounds like how I would have felt about going to a race as a kid. My dad took us to Sunset Speedway once and it was nuts how loud it was.

That said, because it's much more interesting to me now I figure I'll be able to suck it up a lot better. That and I'll bring earplugs. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:18 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I played soccer and had a skateboard.
Never really great at either.
I don’t watch sports that often, maybe when I’m bored and channel surfing.
Hockey, soccer, skateboarding or if it’s motor sports ,then rally.I can’t see the point in round and round a track.Makes me sleepy.
Used to watch local racing with people bringing their hot rods in to go through the 1/4.Also too loud.
Demolition derby and a few truck pulls.
Too noisy for me to go often.Took the kids to those at the local fair.
My son was into dirt bikes and BMX so we used to watch that on tv or just him tearing it up.

Rally is awesome to watch, and I'm sure I'd still find oval racing boring to watch if I hadn't gotten into doing it.

Does your son still ride or did he lose interest?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Lol -- partial paragraph there? Don't even remember writing that.

I guess I'll infer what I was saying. I haven't done much x-country but a little bit including at the Island, High Park, and Blue Mountain. I've been snowshoeing if that counts! I mostly went to ski resorts for mountain biking.

My family was also really into snowmobiling which I hated at the time, but now I realise it must have been fun.

I'd love to try snowmobiling.

My brother lives near a ski resort and mountain bikes there during the summer.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:53 pm

It's funny how I sound kind of sporty in this thread. lol - I'm totally not except for the mountain biking era.

The rest of it was me being dragged places with my family, or being a single mum (all the hockey stuff). I was a soccer mum too because what choice did I have? I was never so glad when my son and his friends got old enough to drive themselves because it was freaking social torture having to sit around by myself at all the practices and games.

Snowmobiling - The men were always drunk and I'd be stuck on the back of a machine totally helpless. We'd stop and have hotdogs on a hibachi for lunch lol. I was always terrified and thought the tree branches were old people's hands trying to grab me. I can still hear them smacking my helmet when we went through dense trails. We also went across frozen lakes a lot and that was really scary since one of my phobias is going through ice. That's likely how it started I guess? One time my mum's machine flipped over and landed on top of her upper body / head. If she didn't have her helmet she would have died. She broke a lot of ribs. I think it was in Bracebridge somewhere? My brother was once stranded in the middle of a lake by himself and for some reason his machine caught fire. I can still see him waving his arms out there, and he was so far away no one could tell who it was at first. Then dragging the incinerated one home on a trailer with everyone staring and pointing. Wow - yeah, I'll do it again lol.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I played soccer and had a skateboard.
Never really great at either.
I don’t watch sports that often, maybe when I’m bored and channel surfing.
Hockey, soccer, skateboarding or if it’s motor sports ,then rally.I can’t see the point in round and round a track.Makes me sleepy.
Used to watch local racing with people bringing their hot rods in to go through the 1/4.Also too loud.
Demolition derby and a few truck pulls.
Too noisy for me to go often.Took the kids to those at the local fair.
My son was into dirt bikes and BMX so we used to watch that on tv or just him tearing it up.

Rally is awesome to watch, and I'm sure I'd still find oval racing boring to watch if I hadn't gotten into doing it.

Does your son still ride or did he lose interest?

He lost interest.Shame, he was pretty good.He’s too large now.Turned into a big boy.
My daughter’s first boyfriend was related to Richard Petty.First cousin or something like that.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 10:20 pm

You missed some.

Board sports, adrenaline/extreme sports, cycling, hiking/running, motor sports, water sports, wind sports etc all appeal to me.

There are others you’ve missed that don’t fit into your few choices, either.

Nice that there’s such a variety.

DOING sports & rec things appeals to me
way more than being a fan or watching stuff on tv/internet. But I still watch some things sometimes - rather watch some extreme Redbull event or another than watch any sort of team sport match or whatever.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 11:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Board sports, adrenaline/extreme sports, cycling, hiking/running, motor sports, water sports, wind sports etc all appeal to me.

Most of those I'd broadly fit under racing.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 11:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I’ve done some of each of them and never been in a race soooo, wut ?

Snowboarding = not really a racing sport. Same same for kiteboarding etc

It’s possible to race, but they’re not exactly racing oriented sports.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 11:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I'd also describe rally as racing, despite the fact that you're not competing head-to-head against someone.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 4:50 am

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I'd also describe rally as racing, despite the fact that you're not competing head-to-head against someone.

..but that sport is literally called Rally Racing in its full name, because they’re racing for best time.

The sports I listed aren’t like that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 4:52 am

Quote:
Do Any Sports Appeal To You?

:chin:
No. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 4:59 am

goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

..but that sport is literally called Rally Racing in its full name, because they’re racing for best time.

The sports I listed aren’t like that.

Not all rally involves special stages, time-distance rally is a thing.

Also, it's just called rally, otherwise it would be WRRC, not WRC. :wink:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Ball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2023, 1:34 pm

I watch MMA, but the only 'sports' I engage in are mtbiking, rock climbing/mountaineering. Is fly fishing a sport?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 1:59 pm

Racing, and everything cars. Esp. rally and touring (RIP Ken Block, Sabine Schmidt). I have two cars, and both are modified (by me), though I've never competitively raced them. The majority of video games I play are racing games. I also drive and tinker with R/C cars.

Watching is fun. Driving is even more fun.