Total votes : 24

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 10:35 am

Ball wrote:
Is fly fishing a sport?

Absolutely.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 10:38 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Racing, and everything cars. Esp. rally and touring (RIP Ken Block, Sabine Schmidt). I have two cars, and both are modified (by me), though I've never competitively raced them. The majority of video games I play are racing games. I also drive and tinker with R/C cars.

Watching is fun. Driving is even more fun.

It sounds like we're on the same page when it comes to racing. 8)

Is rFactor among the racing games you play?

R/Cs seem really interesting, but also pretty expensive. There used to be a group around here that did Trans-Am influenced races. They were open to letting me run a C10 Skyline but I never could justify setting the money aside to buy it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 12:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Racing, and everything cars. Esp. rally and touring (RIP Ken Block, Sabine Schmidt). I have two cars, and both are modified (by me), though I've never competitively raced them. The majority of video games I play are racing games. I also drive and tinker with R/C cars.

R/Cs seem really interesting, but also pretty expensive. There used to be a group around here that did Trans-Am influenced races. They were open to letting me run a C10 Skyline but I never could justify setting the money aside to buy it.

I have not played rFactor, but it does look interesting. *adds to steam wish-list* :mrgreen: Most of the racing games I've played are more of the street-racer variety - Need for Speed franchise, Forza Horizon franchise - but do play some formal racing as well - Grid, Dirt 3, Dirt 2.0, Gran Turismo on occasion...

I like open-world racing games, where I can enter races, but also just, drive around in different cars. I particularly like driving the cars I actually own in real life.

R/C can be kinda expensive - most of the cost is the electronics, but once you have them, it's reasonably inexpensive to keep running. Things basically run in $250 intervals. $250 will get you a ready to run traxxas slash short course truck or tamiya TT-02 touring car. $500 will get you a more competitive high-speed car or truck with some extra bells and whistles. After the up-front costs, replacing broken or worn parts is often a $5 $10 $20 affair.

The Skyline is my favorite car of all time. One of my (real) cars is a little Nissan coupe with a Skyline RB25DET engine shoved into it. I also have R/C body shells for the R32, R34, and R35 GT-Rs. The C10 is a total classic.

What other racing games do you play?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 1:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I have not played rFactor, but it does look interesting. *adds to steam wish-list* :mrgreen: Most of the racing games I've played are more of the street-racer variety - Need for Speed franchise, Forza Horizon franchise - but do play some formal racing as well - Grid, Dirt 3, Dirt 2.0, Gran Turismo on occasion...

I like open-world racing games, where I can enter races, but also just, drive around in different cars. I particularly like driving the cars I actually own in real life.

R/C can be kinda expensive - most of the cost is the electronics, but once you have them, it's reasonably inexpensive to keep running. Things basically run in $250 intervals. $250 will get you a ready to run traxxas slash short course truck or tamiya TT-02 touring car. $500 will get you a more competitive high-speed car or truck with some extra bells and whistles. After the up-front costs, replacing broken or worn parts is often a $5 $10 $20 affair.

The Skyline is my favorite car of all time. One of my (real) cars is a little Nissan coupe with a Skyline RB25DET engine shoved into it. I also have R/C body shells for the R32, R34, and R35 GT-Rs. The C10 is a total classic.

I used to play NFSMW ('05 one, not the remake) and I dabble with Sega Rally Revo ever so often, but I mostly stick to rFactor. I'd like to get Assetto Corsa, it seems to be 'the new rFactor' in terms of how many mods and tracks are available.

Games likes Forza Horizon/open world games seem really interesting but most of them seem to be console games and I don't own one.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 2:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I used to play NFSMW ('05 one, not the remake) and I dabble with Sega Rally Revo ever so often, but I mostly stick to rFactor. I'd like to get Assetto Corsa, it seems to be 'the new rFactor' in terms of how many mods and tracks are available.

Games likes Forza Horizon/open world games seem really interesting but most of them seem to be console games and I don't own one.

Forza Horizon 3, 4, and 5 are all on PC. Same for almost every Need for Speed. Steam has quite a few available.
Underground 2 was their first open-world racer. Most Wanted '05 was super fun, especially the challenge series. Carbon was also very fun, even if over-the-top cheesy at times. I still play most of them. NFS 2015 was... good, but also bad. It loads and runs sloggy even on modern hardware. Hot Pursuit and Rivals were fun cos you could play as the police, too. Payback and Heat were epic fun. I bought Unbound when it released, but I've barely played it yet.

Assetto Corsa is another on my wish-list. I've heard good things about it. rFactor and Assetto are likely going to be next on my chopping block for games to buy.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 2:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Forza Horizon 3, 4, and 5 are all on PC. Same for almost every Need for Speed. Steam has quite a few available.
Underground 2 was their first open-world racer. Most Wanted '05 was super fun, especially the challenge series. Carbon was also very fun, even if over-the-top cheesy at times. I still play most of them. NFS 2015 was... good, but also bad. It loads and runs sloggy even on modern hardware. Hot Pursuit and Rivals were fun cos you could play as the police, too. Payback and Heat were epic fun. I bought Unbound when it released, but I've barely played it yet.

I'm on Windows 7 so some games that run on >Win 10 aren't an option (afaik).

Except for Initial Unity and Sega Rally Revo I haven't really played much that wasn't rFactor since I got it. It's not perfect, but I just find it a lot more fulfilling even though the graphics aren't very good. It's still nice to run races with ~40 cars and feel things are competitive no matter where you are in the field.

I will admit I'm out of the loop on newer arcadey and simcadey games, so they might be better. Not to mention I can see the online features as being a hugely fulfilling aspect of the game.

Also, I had to go under the hood so to speak to make racing the AI really satisfying. Out of the box the AI tends to hit you coming into corners, they also get slower as the race progresses.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 3:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I'm on Windows 7 so some games that run on >Win 10 aren't an option (afaik).

Except for Initial Unity and Sega Rally Revo I haven't really played much that wasn't rFactor since I got it. It's not perfect, but I just find it a lot more fulfilling even though the graphics aren't very good. It's still nice to run races with ~40 cars and feel things are competitive no matter where you are in the field.

I will admit I'm out of the loop on newer arcadey and simcadey games, so they might be better. Not to mention I can see the online features as being a hugely fulfilling aspect of the game.

Also, I had to go under the hood so to speak to make racing the AI really satisfying. Out of the box the AI tends to hit you coming into corners, they also get slower as the race progresses.

If you're able and willing to reinstall windows from an ISO, you can upgrade to win10 for free. Win7 and win8 codes can be used to activate win10, by design, to help push the migration to win10. I've done it several times. Figured I'd let you know, in case you'd want to.

The AI in the Forza Horizon games has been pretty impressive. If you keep winning too easily, the game asks if you want to bump up the AI difficulty. The AI drives much "cleaner" than older games I've played.

The online-aspect is pretty nice, too - being able to race against other real people, in real time.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 3:48 pm

If you're able and willing to reinstall windows from an ISO, you can upgrade to win10 for free. Win7 and win8 codes can be used to activate win10, by design, to help push the migration to win10. I've done it several times. Figured I'd let you know, in case you'd want to.

Interesting to know. Thank you.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

You are welcome.

To further elaborate, if you install win10 as a fresh install, and then use your win7, win8, or win 8.1 code to activate it, the MS server automatically updates it as a win10 license, and your code now represents a legal win10 license.

What kinda hardware are you running?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

You are welcome.

To further elaborate, if you install win10 as a fresh install, and then use your win7, win8, or win 8.1 code to activate it, the MS server automatically updates it as a win10 license, and your code now represents a legal win10 license.

What kinda hardware are you running?

i3 6100, 8GB ram, not sure about the video card; I've had it for ages.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:52 pm

Far left, white machine.
Poor child in purple snowsuit staring through the windscreen, likely wanting to die from the bright sun.

LMAO

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Far left, white machine.
Poor child in purple snowsuit staring through the windscreen, likely wanting to die from the bright sun.

LMAO

I'm jealous. I feel like having never been on a snowmobile makes my Canadianness debatable.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:57 pm

Unhappy Camper with brother and mum

(I'm always on the Left -- lol)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:59 pm

^^ It does. You probably live somewhere in Texas.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 5:01 pm

^^ Did you like snowmobiling when it wasn’t very bright outside?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 5:04 pm

TMI but I think I had my first period.
I remember being particularly unimpressed that day. lol

Will find some horse pics.

No, I didn't like it at all.
My brother always got to drive one but I didn't.
They'd say "But he's 10! You're only 8!"
Then when I was ten "But he's 12! You're only 10!"
Plus they were drunk.

Plus the thing about the spearmint gum. :cry: