Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 10:50 am

BBC's A Kind of Spark is groundbreaking in its portrayal of autistic women

Quote:
A Kind of Spark is a new 10-part CBBC show focussing on autistic women and girls. The main character Addie Darrow (Lola Blue) is an 11-year-old autistic girl navigating starting high school and all the troubles that comes with it. Her cheerleaders and ride-or-die girl gang are her sisters Keedie (Georgia De Gidlow), who is also autistic, and Keedie's twin Nina (Caitlin Hamilton), who is neurotypical.

Based on the bestselling novel by Elle McNicol, the show follows Addie on her quest to get a memorial for women tried as witches in her town. However, the big expansion to the show is that we also see how the town was affected by the witch trials and how the townsfolk were taught to fear anyone different that they didn't understand.

This storyline follows high-born Maggie Fraser (Hattie Gotobed) who is helping the accused women and standing up against witch hunter Adam Quinn (Ben Willbond). Maggie's sister Elinor (Ella Maisy Purvis) is desperately trying to protect her sister and the other women, whilst also hiding the fact she's autistic.

The story is ultimately one of autistic women not being ashamed of who they are, something that is rarely seen in media.

Author Elle McNicoll, who was also involved in writing the show, describes only ever seeing "white boys who loved trains" growing up.

Ella Maisy Purvis, who plays Elinor, agrees, saying their character's story shows that "autism isn't a thing that's just been created in the modern world. It's not created by vaccines or it's not a buzzword or like this cool new trend."

As if the show wasn't amazing enough, it's also groundbreaking in terms of production, with most of the cast being made up of neurodivergent people – even some of those playing the neurotypical characters.

Caitlin Hamilton, who plays Addie's neurotypical sister Nina, says she didn't declare she was autistic in the audition because she was worried "it would be a hindrance rather than a good thing. And that's really sad."

Hamilton has been acting since the age of 6 but wasn't diagnosed with autism until 17, quite typical for autistic women. She says, "I grew up not knowing how autism can present itself in so many different ways. Even when a teacher suggested it, because everything I'd seen it just didn't feel like my experience. I thought I was just making it up or being really dramatic."

"The show really helped me to realise I exist as an autistic woman. It helped shut up the imposter syndrome," says Georgia De Gidlow, who plays Keedie.

De Gidlow's character feels she has to mask her autism and doesn't tell her new friends, ultimately resulting in burn out. She said this shows the importance of authentic casting as "I know what it's like, it was exciting more than anything to portray the actual daily experience of an autistic woman."

De Gidlow agrees, saying that if the show came out when she was a teenager it "could have meant an early diagnosis, without years of having meltdowns and thinking I had a mental illness."

It will be striking for many that within the first episode Addie proudly explains "I'm autistic" and actually uses the words, or when her mum tells a meddling teacher "autism isn't something you have, it's something you are" – something we never see on television.

“I felt like for our generation and older generations this show is going to heal their inner child. For the younger generation hopefully, that inner child isn't going to need to be healed.” De Gidlow says.

As Purvis says, A Kind of Spark shows "We're here and we've always been here."

A Kind of Spark is available on BBC iPlayer from Friday, March 31 and on CBBC from the April 13.

This seems very promising. This is probably the first time Autistic burnout has been portrayed in a scripted series.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

banjovamp
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2023, 9:33 pm

i'm really excited for this show! it's not my usual kind of thing but the main character has a special interest in sharks so i see myself in her already haha

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 10:41 pm

I hope we get this in Aus.
It's a pet theory of mine that the witch trials would have mostly targeted autistic women - so I'm interested to see what they've done with the same idea.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 12:09 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I hope we get this in Aus.
It's a pet theory of mine that the witch trials would have mostly targeted autistic women - so I'm interested to see what they've done with the same idea.

The thought has occurred to me that the "possessed" behaviors were stimming or meltdowns in some of the women.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 9:02 am

All 10 episodes of Season 1
BYU

Hopefully you can stream it where you are.

I have seen episode 1.
Sensory overdone stimming, ableism in the form treating the autistic character as fragile were shown and not as overdone as I have seen in other shows.

Interview with two of actresses

Quote:
We spoke with two stars from series, neurodivergent actors Lola Blue (Addie) and Caitlin Hamilton (Nina), about working on a show in which approximately 50% of the cast and crew are neurodivergent.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 3:46 am

I have seen the entire series.

Getting the "negatives" out of the way:
I personally find flashback scenes disconcerting and there is a lot of jumping back and forth between the 15th century and now. I am not the target audience and as such don't "get" certain scenes such as sisters bonding, girl bonding over sleepovers, and shopping.

Getting to the point :
The last sentence speaks to the show's authenticity. One can tell that autistic people were centrally involved in every aspect of the show. There is an NT sister, a sister that is hiding her autism, and the main character who does not hide her autism. This is the first time I have seen a character hiding their autism is being shown, never mind an important plot point. Also shown are a meltdowns and a shutdown. But unlike most other autism representations I have seen the characters are not displaying all the traits at once, not displaying traits all the time, and as mentioned earlier without over-dramatization. This is the first representation that truly owes nothing to Rain Man.

Bottom line:
The best representation I have seen so far(I don't subscribe to Netflix). It sets the bar for all future Autism representation.

I highly suggest that if this show can be streamed in your locale you see it, especially if you are or were a tween or teenage girl.

I am not going to say more until hopefully other people have seen it and react.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:37 pm

I’m watching it. I’ve gotten to episode 6. It is geared, I think, toward the tweens and teens.

I’ve never had the experience of supportive parents or close sibling relationships. Or a close friend, like the lead has.

I agree with Aspartofme’s comments. Especially the bit about the autism characteristics not being shown all the time.