Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

siphonophore
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2023, 11:28 pm

Why are cults, personal religious beliefs, and just generally smaller and less followed religions and even philosophies frowned upon, but major world religions that do the exact same thing are praised?
On another site, I once posted about my Luciferianism. I was very happy, and wanted to share my happiness and maybe talk about it with someone else who felt similarly. I got terribly mean comments, people telling me I was insane, personally insulting and attacking me, ridiculing me, and even telling me I needed to be medicated.
I'm not even a theist!
But then when, for example, a Christian posts or talks about their adoration and fear of God and how they shall follow him into Heaven and be honoured to exist alongside him, everything's fine.
I get that it's probably just because people don't like what they're not used to, but even cults and things... Obviously most popular cults have done much more harm than good but just the definition of a cult. The only difference between a "cult" and a major world religion is that one has a lot of followers and the other usually doesn't.
Why do people think it's okay to make fun of me and make me feel bad for being different? :(

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 11:57 pm

It's like wearing the wrong uniform or team jersey.
You believing something different means what they believe isn't above being rejected.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 12:28 pm

It depends on the audience, the ideological differences, and on the way it's presented. Whenever a religionist of any kind talks as if their particular belief was correct, I feel tempted to shout them down. But if they talk in a way that owns their beliefs as merely their beliefs and not the absolute truth, I can respect that. Other listeners might better tolerate religionist preaching even if they don't agree with it themselves, and others might argue violently even with those who own their beliefs as their beliefs.