Molotov Cocktails thrown at church to stop drag show

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 1:58 pm

Ohio 'White Lives Matter' member used Molotov cocktails on church in attempt to stop drag shows, authorities say

Quote:
An Ohio man who is a member of a White Lives Matter group told the FBI during an interview Friday he used Molotov cocktails on a church in hopes to burn it down and stop a drag show, federal authorities allege.

Aimenn Penny, 20, of Alliance, was arrested last week and charged with one count of malicious use of explosive materials and one count of possessing a destructive device, according to a statement from the U.S. Department of Justice.

A criminal complaint and affidavit said personnel with the Community Church of Chesterland reported March 25 that the church had been damaged during the night by what appeared to be Molotov cocktails. Personnel with the church believed the attack was connected to the “church’s planned hosting of two drag show events on April 1, 2023,” the complaint said.

Damage to the church included scorch marks on the front door, scorch marks on the exterior of the building, and a broken sign on the southeast corner of the property, the complaint said.

On its website, the house of worship said it is "a church of extravagant welcome, inclusion, and justice."

Chester Township Police recovered broken pieces of a Denaka vodka bottle and broken pieces of a Corona beer bottle. The bottles contained a cloth type material that appeared to be pink or purple. A burnt matchstick and a blue plastic spray bottle filled with gasoline were found near the damaged door, the complaint said.

The Cleveland Field Office of the FBI received information Penny was responsible for the attack, the complaint said, and he was a member of the White Lives Matter Ohio branch.

An Ohio man who is a member of a White Lives Matter group told the FBI during an interview Friday he used Molotov cocktails on a church in hopes to burn it down and stop a drag show, federal authorities allege.

Aimenn Penny, 20, of Alliance, was arrested last week and charged with one count of malicious use of explosive materials and one count of possessing a destructive device, according to a statement from the U.S. Department of Justice.

A criminal complaint and affidavit said personnel with the Community Church of Chesterland reported March 25 that the church had been damaged during the night by what appeared to be Molotov cocktails. Personnel with the church believed the attack was connected to the “church’s planned hosting of two drag show events on April 1, 2023,” the complaint said.

Damage to the church included scorch marks on the front door, scorch marks on the exterior of the building, and a broken sign on the southeast corner of the property, the complaint said.

On its website, the house of worship said it is "a church of extravagant welcome, inclusion, and justice."

Chester Township Police recovered broken pieces of a Denaka vodka bottle and broken pieces of a Corona beer bottle. The bottles contained a cloth type material that appeared to be pink or purple. A burnt matchstick and a blue plastic spray bottle filled with gasoline were found near the damaged door, the complaint said.

The Cleveland Field Office of the FBI received information Penny was responsible for the attack, the complaint said, and he was a member of the White Lives Matter Ohio branch.

In October 2022, Alliance police saw Penny posting fliers on their cruisers. Penny then told police about his disdain for Black people, the complaint said.

Penny "wanted to educate everyone about their violence toward white Americans," the complaint said. “He believed African Americans were solely responsible for the high crime rate across the country. Penny further made it clear that he believes — and looks forward to — the civil war coming between races."

Penny’s phone was examined following a court order and its GPS data showed the phone was in the vicinity of Penny’s home between 11 p.m. and about 11:30 p.m. on March 24. However, between 1 a.m. and 1:31 a.m. on March 25, the phone was on the site of the Community Church of Chesterland, the complaint said.

Authorities executed a search warrant on Penny’s home on Friday and he spoke with the FBI, the complaint said.

Penny admitted he used Molotov cocktails on the church, the complaint said.

“Penny stated that he was trying to protect children and stop the drag show event. Penny described using bottles from his bedroom and detailed the ingredients and steps he used to build and use the devices. Penny stated that night he became more and more angry after watching internet videos of news feeds and drag shows in France and decided to attack the church,” the complaint said.

He did not stop the drag show but he probably stopped a lot of the rest of his life.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 5:06 pm

Firebombing a church? White Lives Matter? Scumbags gotta scum, I guess.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 5:19 pm

"Save the children! Let's fire-bomb the Church!" In what universe does that even begin to make sense? Trump's?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 5:20 pm

Law and order, unless we're committing the crimes.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 6:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Law and order, especially when it comes to oppressing those we don't like.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 6:24 pm

The church in question wasn't even hosting a drag show...it does however provide daycare and Sunday school programs for local children. This guy sounds like a real prize - I guess I should be glad the local news media didn't describe him as autistic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 7:30 pm

DanielW wrote:
The church in question wasn't even hosting a drag show...it does however provide daycare and Sunday school programs for local children. This guy sounds like a real prize - I guess I should be glad the local news media didn't describe him as autistic.

I sure hope he's not one of us! 8O

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 9:40 pm

DanielW wrote:

The linked article has pictures of a drag story hour at that church.

Shhh. Don't give the media any ideas.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2023, 1:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Law and order, especially when it comes to oppressing those we don't like.

Who gives a damn about law and order nowadays?