Trump is not the first President to be arrested

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 9:49 pm

Trump's been indicted, but Ulysses S. Grant was the first president to be arrested

Quote:
More than 150 years before former President Donald Trump was indicted, a sitting president, Ulysses S. Grant, was in trouble with the law.

Grant was an apparent speed demon with his horse and buggy. He was stopped by police in Washington for speeding several times, Cathy Lanier, chief of D.C.'s Metropolitan Police Department told WTOP in 2012. Grant was taken into custody after he was caught racing his buggy on M Street.

"They ended up letting him pay a fine and walk back to the White House," Lanier told WTOP.

The officer who stopped Grant in 1872 was William H. West, a former enslaved person and Civil War veteran, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. West was one of two Black police officers to work for the police department in Washington at the time.

The officer spotted Grant speeding twice. The first time, West gave Grant a warning and sent him on his way. But West saw the president speeding again the very next day.

"I am very sorry, Mr. President, to have to do it, for you are the chief of the nation and I am nothing but a policeman, but duty is duty, sir, and I will have to place you under arrest," West said, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

Grant was released on a $20 bond, now equivalent to around $430, after his arrest.

West continued his work as a police officer until his retirement in 1901. West and the arrest were featured in the Washington Evening Star on Sept. 27, 1908, seven years before his death.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:20 pm

"I am very sorry, Mr. President, to have to do it, for you are the chief of the nation and I am nothing but a policeman"
Love the deference. Why did anybody think it even slightly bad form to arrest a leader when they've done something wrong?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 6:42 pm

The arresting officer happened to be Black. So that may have added to his incentive to be differential. Even though Grant served in the Army that freed the slaves, and was a member of the party of Lincoln. But still. But even a White cop might have been similarly differential. Who knows?

Grant lived prior to the age of the internal combustion engine. Apparently he had that "need for speed". Had he lived in this century he might have joined Paul Newman as an amateur stock car racer on the side.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 12:21 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The arresting officer happened to be Black. So that may have added to his incentive to be differential. Even though Grant served in the Army that freed the slaves, and was a member of the party of Lincoln. But still. But even a White cop might have been similarly differential. Who knows?

Back in those days, I think the average mindset was a lot more authoritarian than it is now.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 12:59 pm

Trump was the first President to be INDICTED not arrested