Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 10:14 pm

So a few months back my therapist and I were discussing AVPD (avoidant personality disorder). It seemed to be a perfect match for the symptoms I was experiencing at the time, and I ended up all but officially diagnosed with it. (It's not on paper, but my mental health team basically said this seems accurate but your current treatment plan already fits the profile so we don't really need to change anything.)

Now that I'm researching ASD, I'm not sure if I have AVPD, ASD with a side of RSD (rejection sensitivity dysphoria), or a mixture of both disorders.

For the past 3 or so years I have been intensely reacting to any sort of rejection, real or perceived, from friends. At one point this landed me in inpatient care for a 24 hour hold. I am incredibly inhibited in social situations, and have been kinda socially anxious since early teens.
But these things could also be explained by ASD and the RSD that can come with it, I feel. I have learned to compensate for my lack of ability to read social cues by being overly polite and cautious.

In your opinion, what is the fundamental and/or main difference between a PD and ASD? I thought I had found the answers to my life when I found out about AVPD, but now I don't know. :?

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 9:12 pm

It's kind of hard to explain, but from my understanding AvPD involves severe avoidance of social situations in an effort to avoid rejection/embarrassment/etc., feeling like you are more socially inept than you are, etc.

An excerpt from a website that explains symptoms/behaviours a lot better:

Avoidance of activities at work that involve interpersonal contact due to fear of criticism or rejection

Unwillingness to interact with others unless certain they will receive a positive response

Hesitancy in intimate relationships due to fear of shame

Preoccupation with criticism in social situations

Feeling inadequate and being inhibited in new social situations

Perception of self as inept, unappealing, and inferior

Reluctance to take risks or engage in activities that might result in embarrassment

Autism involves developmental delays, especially social delays, that start in infancy/early childhood, and also involves sensory problems, repetitive and restricted behaviours (like being resistant to change, having strict/excessive routines, etc.), among other things.

You can have autism and AvPD, there's not really any conflicts between them, and in fact autistic people are more likely to develop AvPD due to the constant negative social experiences we have. I match all of the criteria for it due to abuse and negative social experiences I've had throughout my life, both related to autism and not related to it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:13 am

Yeah seems like I have both

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:17 am

I have severe RSD (Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria) which I heard is a very common ADHD trait. It can be so intense, that sometimes I wonder if I do have a personality disorder, but whenever I research personality disorders online it seems I'm missing most of the symptoms.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 3:49 pm

Yeah I was diagnosed with two personality disorders before aspergers and since then a psychiatrist and a psychologist has disputed the aspergers and I've since been diagnosed with something else so who knows.

I was also diagnosed with adhd but I'm even thinking that wasn't right as well.

Idk it's difficult and I don't wanna go into too much detail about my personal circumstances but it's pretty complex.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:09 pm

Fairfield wrote:
It's kind of hard to explain, but from my understanding AvPD involves severe avoidance of social situations in an effort to avoid rejection/embarrassment/etc., feeling like you are more socially inept than you are, etc.

An excerpt from a website that explains symptoms/behaviours a lot better:
Avoidance of activities at work that involve interpersonal contact due to fear of criticism or rejection

Unwillingness to interact with others unless certain they will receive a positive response

Hesitancy in intimate relationships due to fear of shame

Preoccupation with criticism in social situations

Feeling inadequate and being inhibited in new social situations

Perception of self as inept, unappealing, and inferior

Reluctance to take risks or engage in activities that might result in embarrassment

Autism involves developmental delays, especially social delays, that start in infancy/early childhood, and also involves sensory problems, repetitive and restricted behaviours (like being resistant to change, having strict/excessive routines, etc.), among other things.

You can have autism and AvPD, there's not really any conflicts between them, and in fact autistic people are more likely to develop AvPD due to the constant negative social experiences we have. I match all of the criteria for it due to abuse and negative social experiences I've had throughout my life, both related to autism and not related to it.

I would say that everything under the spoiler except one or two items is me :skull:

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:12 pm

You can also have TRAITS from PD's without it being severe or intense enough to be pathological - anyone can. ND, NT it doesn't matter. No need to play "Dr. Google."

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 4:49 pm

I actually have talked to my therapist and entire mental health team about it, months back even. It's not "just google". Symptoms have also been severe enough that I spent a small amount of time in inpatient.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 5:09 pm

Oh, I wasn't implying it was anyone doing that, its just that anyone can have symptoms or traits of a disorder without the need to pathologize them.

Clearly if anyone is symptomatic to be troubled by something the should address it, but things can be mutable and change in intensity or even resolve. Over time a person can collect a lot of labels, and sometimes those labels no longer fit.

I've talked with my own therapists about "is it the autism causing this or is it "X" ? and the response is "does it matter"? Ultimately, its the symptom(s) that need to be addressed not the labels we attribute them to.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 5:40 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I would say that everything under the spoiler except one or two items is me :skull:

I have problems with everything on the list too, and it causes me a lot of distress + severely limits me. Having AvPD-esque issues sucks so f*****g bad, I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy. :skull:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 7:13 pm

Why not both? :jester:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 8:26 pm

DanielW wrote:
Oh, I wasn't implying it was anyone doing that, its just that anyone can have symptoms or traits of a disorder without the need to pathologize them.

Clearly if anyone is symptomatic to be troubled by something the should address it, but things can be mutable and change in intensity or even resolve. Over time a person can collect a lot of labels, and sometimes those labels no longer fit.

I've talked with my own therapists about "is it the autism causing this or is it "X" ? and the response is "does it matter"? Ultimately, its the symptom(s) that need to be addressed not the labels we attribute them to.

True enough. This is why my mental health team seems unconcerned with diagnosing me, I think. When I brought AVPD up to my psychiatrist, she asked to see my therapist's notes, but has not diagnosed it officially so far as I'm aware. When I did ask, she said that it won't change my treatment plan any because the medications I'm on are the right ones for that disorder already.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 1:51 am

Fairfield wrote:
Having AvPD-esque issues sucks so f*****g bad, I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy. :skull:

I feel the same way about Aspergers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 6:21 pm

Personality disorders are diagnosed at ages 18+, where an individual's personality is more solidified.

ASD is a developmental disorder that is present in childhood that may or may not appear in varying ages.

Personality disorder is about the person's genes and their environment related to their behavioral emotional reactions and social interactions with others and their circumstances.

ASD is about their cognitive strengths and weaknesses, their sensory experiences, their perception and perceived contexts regardless of their circumstances.

A person with personality disorders are mainly made.

A person with ASD is born.

I'm an autistic who doesn't have this PDA (demand avoidance) profile...
"Unless I'm very severely stressed/helplessly awkward because my head is foggy/actually traumatized and in a wrong headspace/overly dysregulated and will make a fool out of myself if I don't ; but unlike usual cases, I don't have chronic cases of that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 2:49 pm

Antisocial Personality Disorder is the only personality disorder which requires the person to be 18 or over to be diagnosed with it.

Kaioken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2023, 8:07 am

Sometimes a personality disorder can be a response to the ASD condition.

So a person with ASD could have experienced alienation and as a result developed Borderline Personality Disorder, a core feature of which is intense fear of abandonment.

Or a person with ASD could develop Narcissistic Personality Disorder as a way of overcompensating for feelings of inferiority caused by the ASD.