I am female and make dolls. 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
I am female and don't make dolls. 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
I am a guy and am sticking my nose in this poll. 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 24

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 10:14 am

It seems like there are a lot of doll-makers here amongst the female contingent. I make miniature dolls from pipe cleaners and embroidery floss.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 10:57 am

How do you make them?

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:08 am

I bend pipe cleaners and wrap them in floss, then sew felt clothes. I use the basic idea from the book "Felt Wee Folk" but I changed it a bit.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:14 am

Those are cool! I was trying to picture how you would use pipe cleaners and floss. That wasn't what I had pictured. :) My daughter would love those.

I make dolls out nylons or leotards and I also crochet dolls and stuffed toys. I really think your folk dolls are much more interesting.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 11:30 am

I love making internet dolls . My favorite website is thedollpalace.com

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 5:35 am

I have been making dolls...mostly out of socks and stuff since I was little....of course the early ones were pretty awful....but it was one of my favorite activities during the whole time i was growing up...I would also frequently make soft sculpture dolls out of panty hose.

I abandoned the craft for several years till I was in my mid-20s...then I started making sock creatures...and it rapidly became a major obsession....my life has revolved around sock creatures since 2001...It is how I met Flakey and ended up at Super Happy Fun Land...I am not constantly making them....but it still dominates a large part of my life. I sold a monkey just yesterday who is being sent to England to live on a houseboat on the Thames..(that is pretty exciting)...it is this guy here....(to me he is a FRM upside-downer because he is made out of the modern fox river mills socks and is made with the socks upside down for a more hydrocephallic look :wink: )

I have been to one sock monkey convention...(they take place in Rockford Ill)...I will try to go again next year...it just happens at a very busy and akward part of the year for me...
Here I am in front of the closed down nelson knitting factory in Rockford Ill. with Foofie (the cat who is also my avatar, Offeelia (the clinicly depressed sock monkey) and Stash (named such because he has a hidden zipper pouch in his back (one of the things I like to do with my creatures sometimes)

I have other visions beyond just sock creatures, but it has taken them a really long time to come into fruition, because I am very busy....I have my whole life, I guess to eventually churn out all the different dolls and such that I visualise.

I was recently mentioned in an article in the paper regarding sock monkeys.
I have several custom orders that are overdue or have pressing deadlines.
Sock monkeys even contributed to a bit of a nervous breakdown I had last year....too much stress coupled with demanding custom orders.

but um..yeah...i would say that doll making (anthromorphic sock animals in particular) is one of my major obsessions. I also like singing, playing the ukulele and screen printing.
Before sock monkeys, I was obsessively putting together elaborate theme concerts.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 8:42 am

Love those dolls and sock monkeys! 8) I've made a lot of dolls and toys but nowadays have been mainly making Christmas Decorations and Beaded wire trees. I haven't any pictures of the trees but here are some of the Decorations:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Futurama91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2007, 10:47 pm

yes! I have made dolls from socks, wire and beads and such, and clay. I like to make each one unique and make the bigger ones crocheted clothing.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 2:24 am

I don't make dolls, but I wanna learn to make them :) seems funny.

Aerin
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2007, 7:52 pm

I don't make dolls, but I make doll clothes. Does that count? They are mostly things I don't make for me either because they are too scratchy or complicated or making them my size would be too expensive/hard. Also, the dolls don't change size :wink: I don't like making things like dolls from scratch because I want them to look like real people or at least pretty and I just don't have the skill anymore. Noses are my nemesis. I appreciate all the work that goes into making dolls, but I'll stick with just clothes or maybe masked figures for now.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 8:20 pm

I don't make dolls and never could stand them from the time I was a little girl on. Always found them a bit creepy. I always preferred stuffed animals and I love Build-A-Bear. :)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 2:30 am

I am branching out into more dolls. Finding them creepy is part of their charm for me....but I like stuffed animals too...especially if they are vintage and/or homemade.

I have seldom made any non-sock stuffed animals....I did make Miss Bun Bun though...a blue bunny I made by tracing the seams of my favorite stuffed rabbit...it managed to come out wrong, but still, there is something very humorous and comforting about her..
(that isn't my hand in the picture)

I have this big crazy plan in the works for rag/sock hybrid dolls that are sorta parodies of raggedy annes...(which I collect obsessively)

I will post pics when I start getting them completed...Once I get the first one done, it is sure to take off like gangbusters. I have just been too busy.