Fixated on a person.. save me from my suffering

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 8:45 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
rse92 wrote:
Wait a minute. You have a wife, and yet you have been spending your deepest psychic energy on a woman who cannot have and you will not ever have and who has less than no interest in you as anything but a co-worker? Are you lacking something at home?

That's not autism. You are not helpless or powerless. You need to refocus your values or you risk hurting others and really screwing up your life.

I don't think you are understanding - this IS autism. For some people the autistic obsessiveness (or 'special interest') just happens to be another person. It's actually very very difficult to break out of this kind of fixation once you're in it. The wiki article I just read on limerance says it typically takes 3 years.

Agreed. Some of us do end up with people as our special interests. This has been true for me and others here as well...not just in this thread. It happens to some of us sometimes.

But yeah, this has happened to me and I can relate as much as I'm able. Sometimes someone just gets in my head and for whatever reason I get fascinated and spend excessive amounts of time thinking about them. It's happened maybe five times in my life. I go back and forth on the why and if it's limerence or something else. I also feel that 'come down' when I get over thinking about the person all the time. This hasn't happened to me in a few years, but I actually miss it sometimes...when I'm bored for a long period of time (like if I get sick or injured) or if I'm having a rough spell in life and want to be able to retreat into 'happy thoughts' or something.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 10:43 am

Hi,
Yes, I have had hyper-focused on people and usually guys who I have had crushes on. For example, I had a crush on a male on the autism spectrum to the point that I was obsessed. I would talk about him all the time to other friends and co-workers in my life. I would chase him on forums, chatrooms, and even at conventions but he never took any interest in me and nor did he like me. However, that was partly his fault because he would manipulate me when he wanted something which gave me false hope. Otherwise, he would just ignore me which would cause me to feel depressed.

As for moving on, you both will eventually move onto other things and you will probably get busy with your own life. The best thing to do is
1. Block her on social media
2. Delete any photos from your phone
3. Try to avoid her as much as possible and focus on your work