Great Things Our Men Have Done

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 9:07 am

I have never done anything I think is great. Although my father fought in WWII I wouldn't consider anything he did great and in fact were the question put to him, I'm certain he would have agreed with me.

My non-autistic son is a brilliant surgeon who does things that might be considered great every day, for which he is handsomely compensated as he is doing those things in the US, but that's his job that he trained for and I don't know how well he would react to any suggestion that he does "great things". I suppose my having not done anything to f**k him up and jeopardize his ability to succeed in his career was a good thing but certainly not great, as opposed to mopping floors all night to make it possible as many people (usually women) have done.

On the other hand, many of the first responders who rescued people from the collapsing World Trade Center in 2001 were male and persisted in their efforts well past the time when they could have reasonably expected to survive. All were doing great things although the women who worked with them were equally great. But the people who used the WTC attack to justify bringing war to Iraq did not do great things. They were doing evil things, except perhaps in the eyes of Vladimir Putin who adopted that model of warfare as a way to further his own career.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 11:36 am

I had a friend when I was a teen who was a seriously stand up guy. I had a really bad year and was attacked and homeless half the time. He never knew exactly what to say, but it didn't matter. He was there, every day, supporting me in his quiet, calming kind of way. I really needed a friend back then and he was exactly that. S, man, you rocked.

Not naming people here, but there's someone who has been posting some songs lately that I've really been enjoying. He's killing it with the 'what are you listening to this very second' selections lately. I approve and appreciate it. I like it when I get to find new music or get reminded of something I forgot I love.

I used to have a postal worker who was awesome. I discovered he and I had a common interest when he knocked on my door to deliver several packages to me that all shown up on one day. He asked about them, I told him and from then on in, whenever I'd get a single package, he'd knock and ask if it was that kind of stuff. He was all excited about it and a few times he came in for coffee and to check out 'the goods'. :lol: I miss that guy. I wish he was still my postal worker. He was a hoot.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 7:12 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
WP is dead right now.

No, it's not dead. Maybe not as lively as it used to be, and maybe not lively enough to fill up the time of someone with nothing else to do all day, but more than enough traffic for someone with a busy schedule like mine.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 7:48 am

I removed this because I began to feel uncomfortable sharing it. Have a lovely day x

Last edited by KitLily on 02 Jul 2023, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 7:49 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
WP is dead right now.

No, it's not dead. Maybe not as lively as it used to be, and maybe not lively enough to fill up the time of someone with nothing else to do all day, but more than enough traffic for someone with a busy schedule like mine.

What was the point of bumping this almost 3 month old thread to comment on that sentence instead of on the main topic? Inquiring minds want to know.

WP is certainly way less busy than it used to be. It is quite stagnant at times. That’s true no matter how busy one’s schedule is or isn’t.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 8:20 am

What have men on WP done over the past 3 months that's of note in my opinion? Some men have been very compassionate about the grooming situation. It's been greatly appreciated.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 8:25 am

There are so many great men on WP it chokes me up sometimes.
That's been even more apparent lately.

Thank you to everyone who gets it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 8:48 am

I thought this was a thread about all men, not just WP men?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 8:57 am

^

Quote:
This is for all members to post short comments about any man (including transmen) in our lives who have made the world a better place. It could be a friend, relative, partner, neighbour, work colleague, WP member or anyone you know personally who deserves a pat on the back. This is not about famous people we haven't met.

No names please, if you're referring to WP members.
I think we should respect anonymity like we've done elsewhere, so no one feels left out.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 9:07 am

Thanks, I was just confused because you and Isabella were talking about WP men's good deeds :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 9:09 am

I'm typing with one hand, trying to feed five ravenous kitties and a dog without letting any of them get each other's food.

That's why I put the short WP comment.

I have some stories about my son when I'm able to sit down.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 9:15 am

Ah right, I had no idea about your situation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 12:00 pm

My son's birthday is in April, a few weeks before Mother's Day. When he was about ten years old we went to a shopping mall for some random stuff. I had to go in a store that was boring for him, so he asked if he could go off on his own to look at albums in the record store. It was the first time we had separated when shopping but I said it was OK and I'd go find him when I was done.

When I went to the record shop he wasn't there. I hung around looking for him, thinking he must have finished there and wandered somewhere else to kill time. I still couldn't find him. I started to panic and talked to the mall security who were just about to put on an announcement.

Right at that moment my son was located in the jewellery store. He had snuck there instead of going to the record store, so he could buy me a Mother's Day gift using the money he got for his birthday. He was so proud of himself as he tried to hide the gift bag from me, without realising how much of a fright I'd experienced not knowing where he was.

He started crying when he gave me the gift there and then. I thought he was crying for being in trouble, but he was crying about how much he loved me and he was so happy to give me a necklace and earrings he'd bought with his own money, instead of getting anything for himself.

Photos to follow.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 9:23 pm

Kudos to my babe for cancelling his trip to BC to protect me and Bear all week.
He was all packed and ready to go when a traumatic incident happened at my house.
He insisted on coming to stay with us, even though I told him I could handle things alone.

I don't know how or why I earned the love of such a great man.

{{{ MR }}}

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 9:41 pm

^ That’s awesome! He sounds like a great guy. :heart: