Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TT1660
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2023, 9:30 am

Current psychologist? If only. Where I am, there's a 10 year waiting list. If the latter statement was actually true, it would be a nightmare.

I just hate how my condition and the communication barrier has literally seen me waste nearly 10 years. I have been exerting these behaviours since about 2014. But NTs are none the wiser, and it's the same with me.

If you do ever end up in Adelaide, you're more than welcome to let me know. Interstate travel is something I'm very unlikely to ever subject myself to again, due to diminished confidence, phobias, the virus, lack of any real justification, and 250 other possible reasons. For the record, I don't drink coffee.

But there is an event which I have expressed interest in previously that is held in Canberra 4 times per 24 years. I think it is due to be held there at some point in the near future. If I do overcome these fears, then who knows.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 11:57 am

You need to find a job.

You must be capable of performing or holding a job. Thus you have to find the motivation in yourself to find another job. I've had a to find a job during periods of dark depression. i did because I knew i would be better off doing something, anything that got me out the door meeting people and earning an honest living.

That's the first step, a baby step kind of, but the first step on the road to turning around your life.

purplepuffin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2023, 6:14 pm

What's the event? That sounds interesting.

When you say there's a ten year waitlist, do you mean for bulk billing ones? You can get psychology under NDIS - you just have to get it in your plan. Unfortunately I don't know much in the way of details as I've only just applied myself. I have never talked to my "LAC" but apparently that's who you can talk to about NDIS things. I think getting a psychologist would be your first step towards getting your life going where you want it to.

I empathise with the feeling of wasting a decade - I failed and restarted uni so many times, as well as other things going on, and I was in a very dark place for basically all of my 20s and a little of my 30s. Feel like I've only recently woken up.

TT1660
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2023, 10:08 pm

The event is one which is rotated around 5 or 6 Australian capitals. I can't remember the order, nor the last time I actually attended to be honest. Possibly 2016.

I do have a tendency to unjustly exaggerate at times. I feel like speaking to any coordinator related to NDIS is like yelling in the middle of the Simpson desert at 2AM.

I am kind of nervous about getting a job, because of the dreaded virus. It's a catch 22 again. To get the appropriate qualifications/training could take years. By then I'll be in my 40s. If I don't, I'll still age at the same pace getting nowhere. I have never been serious about employment in my entire 'life'.

purplepuffin

21 Apr 2023, 10:24 pm

I attend an event like that - the bridge championships are in a different capital city each year. Last one was in Adelaide actually (I went), this year is Perth (didn't qualify). Next year Brisbane.

With study, you can do it all online nowadays so you wouldn't have to go out. You might have to attend exams in person but you could get accommodations to let you take it in a separate room on your own and get extra time. If you don't worry about getting a job out of it, and just study something that you're really interested in, you could take it as an end in itself. It doesn't have to end in being useful for getting a job. Would give you some purpose and something to enjoy. And if you never get a job, it was free.

I think it is worth the effort of fighting with NDIS people to get psychology added to your plan. It could make a big difference for you

TT1660
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2023, 12:47 am

I think I need some remedies for the undiagnosed ADD first, and some better accommodation. I have literally been contemplating adding that "Do(n')t for(get, you're) her(e forever)" (from the Simpsons) in it's full lingo on a wall, not the one with many characters eliminated, because I feel like I'm at this NT ridden rothole for eternity.

It seems like there are near zero options for alternative housing, because demand exceeds supply, and I have no idea of where to look. Almost nobody can help me, because there is nobody in this country who has any understanding of my situation. Not even the GP, or DE.

I just want out of here, without 'living' in a gutter. I am still in a phase where I'm silently rebelling, and just coming to terms with reality, after all those years of being oblivious.

purplepuffin

22 Apr 2023, 7:17 am

What's your housing like, at the moment? What sort of housing would you like to get?

Yeah if you have ADHD you'll feel much better able to cope once you get meds for it. It can be really hard to find a psychiatrist though, and the waiting list can be very long. I was diagnosed by a psychologist, but then had to wait a couple of months to see a neurologist for medication. Definitely faster to get into a psychiatrist first off.

TT1660
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2023, 12:14 am

Like most, I guess I'd just prefer to find a 'match', and share with them. But I am doubtful of their existence, due to my condition. NTs either respond with a one word mumble, or nothing at all. I cannot get my head their level of neutralness in their heads, vs what seems to be mild hyperactivity in my head. It also could qualify as OCD.

I guess seeing a psych could make a difference. But I'm the type who always wants to jump into deep end without having swam before.

And having just read an article, I'm almost certain that I have BPD (Not bipolar, the other).

TT1660
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2023, 12:08 pm

And one issue I encounter is forgetfulness. Except it's much worse than your 'average Joe'. I feel like what is possibly ADHD is confining me to a tiny little shell. I feel as though I have a tiny number of resources to form a foundation for a less depressing existence (so-called life). But I rarely get out of my comfort zone enough to tackle it.

I don't have any idea why I have any belief in this forum as a place to source supportive comments that don't belittle or offend me. But there aren't many other options.

I have a tendency to get hyper-fixated on a task that interests me, and keep attempting to keep the ball rolling with it, before abandoning it a third of the way through at the most.

I rarely complete things/achieve any goals. I intend to a social worker soon. But still haven't confirmed an ideal location to meet up, after several days. This is probably due to anxiety or something.

I'm still under an incorrect assumption that soda water is healthy too, and will most likely grab some off the shelf sooner than later. I can't believe that I don't smoke/drink grog/whatever, and yet I've gotten nowhere in nearly 40 years. It would take a miracle to get the message through to me. As I tend to forget about it, and get back in my comfort zone like a modern Scania bus going off a cliff in some kind of autopilot mode. Not a huge fan of this brand.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 10:17 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet