Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 1:34 pm

There is a female friend I have who lives 2,000 miles away. I just want to be friends with her, but I think she has a crush on me.

This morning, she sent me an e-mail, asking if I can be her guarantor when she signs a lease for an apartment. I thought it was weird, because why did she choose me as a guarantor, instead of a close family member, especially when I have never met her in person.

What are your thoughts on this?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2007, 1:52 pm

Your gut feelings on this issue are correct. It is odd for her to ask that. Don't do it. It puts you legally at risk to pay the lease off if she defaults.

I repeat, don't do it. Say no.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 2:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
There is a female friend I have who lives 2,000 miles away. I just want to be friends with her, but I think she has a crush on me.

This morning, she sent me an e-mail, asking if I can be her guarantor when she signs a lease for an apartment. I thought it was weird, because why did she choose me as a guarantor, instead of a close family member, especially when I have never met her in person.

Tim

Don't sign it if you don't want to be responsible for paying the rent and damages.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2007, 2:17 pm

I don't know if it means she has a crush on you. I do know it's a bad idea though.

You've never actually met this person + it could negatively affect your credit rating = don't do it

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2007, 3:18 pm

Totally a bad idea.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2007, 4:37 pm

NO NO NO NO NO NO, Tim Tex, u seem like a smart person, (many ppl on this site are) but we all have problems with common sence, i suck at it, but when it comes to stuff like this, i know my 'stuff'.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 4:59 pm

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
She is probably just a con artist flattering you to get financial help.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 5:19 pm

That's an outrageous thing to ask of you... don't do it!! !!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 10:02 am

Very interesting!

I actually met someone who married an American here but moved here only for him, as she is originally from England.

She actually turned down the opportunity to work with me because she found a job closer to her.

Her husband is a veterinarian, but they take the bus to work every single day.

It sounded to me like my mom had something against this. Why do people choose lifestyle as something to pass judgment about? That is prejudice and I do not like it!

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2007, 10:29 am

The advice to not mix money with friends is a good one. I will only lend money to someone if I am perfectly ok with never seeing that money ever again and not feeling bad about it. Cosigning is a bit harder as it can impact your credit rating, so unless you are ready to pay for it completely by yourself and never get a penny from her, don't do it.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 6:09 pm

No, at least without first inspecting this apartment's condition and the neighborhood it is in and observing your friend's habits as far as maintaining a steady income and cleanliness are concerned.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 7:09 pm

no way Jose

You will end up with the liability for lease payments. Here that's often referred to as "sexually transmitted debt", but if she's 2000 miles away, you haven't even had the sex!!

Don't do it (not even with sex)

You have been advised. Take my advice of pay a lawyer a couple of hundred dollars for the same advice.

DON'T DO IT.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 10:30 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
no way Jose

You will end up with the liability for lease payments. Here that's often referred to as "sexually transmitted debt", but if she's 2000 miles away, you haven't even had the sex!!

Don't do it (not even with sex)

You have been advised. Take my advice of pay a lawyer a couple of hundred dollars for the same advice.

DON'T DO IT.

lol Baz.

I concur, this woman is obviously trying to manipulate you out of your money!! !

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 1:30 am

It's obsurd... she doesn't even know you in person. 8O
It could only go badly on your behalf. Don't even consider doing that for her.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 10:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

Tim,

If I received anything like that, I'd see nothing but a field of red flags coming up like a field of dandelions :wink:

Be careful!

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York