Is it normal for period to be more painful...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 5:04 am

...when you're ill?

I've been ill with an ear infection (still am) and I also have my period. I'm on the pill so usually my periods aren't very painful, but this time the cramping has been bad, making me feel even iller.

I'm worrying in case I have a tumour on my ovaries or something, so I'm just hoping it's because I'm unwell. I have a fever as well, and I've not been moving much because of vertigo. Maybe that's why the cramping is more painful?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2023, 5:52 am

Maybe, since you're already in pain due to being ill, you might be weaker than usual to other types of pain as well since your body fighting the infection and fever is taking your strength? Or if you've taken some medication for the infection, it might be weakening the effect of your pills, making the pain be worse than it usually is when the pills work properly. If this is the case, then it's likely a one time thing and next month the pain will be milder again.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 8:12 am

My period has finished now, but now I feel sick whenever I'm reminded of it. The scent on the sanitary pads sticks in my mind, it's kind of like an aloe vera smell and always reminds me of my periods if I smell it.

I don't think I want periods any more.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 9:23 pm

^ You could talk to your doctor about getting a hormonal IUD or another form of hormonal birth control that makes periods stops. It's made a huge difference in my quality of life.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 11:34 pm

I just had Covid (my first time) and I also have an awful period. Feels like I could just die. But I won't give up yet and settle for birth control. I think my body is capable of ovulating and regenerating every month, and would like it to go naturally. I do have pretty high pain tolerance.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 2:09 pm

I don't think I want to have periods any more. Why do we have a break when on the pill each month for a week? Is there any reason for that? Would it hurt to keep on taking the pill without a break?

I just feel stinky with a period and I don't like the smell of sanitary towels. They have a sort of aloe vera scent and while I'm not normally sensitive to smells I seem to be sensitive to this smell because it reminds me of having a period and those cramps.

Maybe the next time I get my period I will take a hot lemon drink to ease the nauseating cramps.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 2:38 pm

What Twilight Princess said is a good idea.

I had a coil/IUD fitted 15 years ago, it changed my life. At first my period got heavier but it stopped being painful, then it very slowly stopped completely. My moods stopped swinging too, I am generally equable now instead of up and down. I haven't had periods for about 10 years now, hooray!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 6:36 pm

It wasn't the period itself that bothered me, but the products meant to "contain" them. I was allergic to them and my parents found it too expensive to buy hypoallergenic ones. I ended up having a hysterectomy at age 23 because it got to a point where they wouldn't stop on their own and I NEVER wanted children.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 5:42 am

But doesn't having a hysterectomy kickstart the menopause? I really don't want to start going through the menopause yet.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 8:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
But doesn't having a hysterectomy kickstart the menopause? I really don't want to start going through the menopause yet.

Depends on what kind of hystorecromy. If they take the uterus but leave everything else like they did with me, then no. You just won't be able to have periods or children anymore.