Elon Musk promotes free speech...then did THIS! Shocking.

Page 8 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 11:49 am

AngelRho wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
German culture existed before the Nazi party came on the scene and tried to claim it as their own and corrupt it.

German culture was corrupted when Emperor Willie couldn't read his GPS and tried to invade Russia by marching through Belgium. German glory imploded when their enemies forced them to walk their front lines back towards the German border, fueling national panic and destroying the Kaiser's ability to rule. Germany's capitulation managed to preserve the sovereignty of the country but made German identity a mark of shame rather than a mark of pride.

The Nazi party didn't corrupt German culture. There was no meaningful German culture. Nazism, as misguided as it was, represented an attempt at restoring German culture and national pride.

The problem the Germans faced both in the monarchy and under Nazism was the prevailing view that the German people do not exist for themselves but for the nation. The end of WW2 in Germany represented a full realization of the logical extreme of Hitler's program: If the German people cannot protect the sovereignty of their nation, they aren't fit to exist. Hitler was prepared to send every last German man, woman, and child to their deaths.

German culture under Emperor Willie had quietly become self-destructive. That carried over into the Weimar Republic when the German people got the mistaken idea that the majority is always right, and that directly led to Hitler and his disciples discovering how to manipulate the culture and government into granting him unlimited power.

Fun fact: Nazism didn't originate with Hitler. Hitler's ideas were shaped by Georg Ritter von Schönerer and Karl Lueger. And German nationalism even predates those guys with Johann Gottlieb Fichte being a major influence. The party itself has its beginnings with Anton Drexler and Karl Harrer, along with some others. The ideas of völkisch nationalism were especially popular among members of the Freikorps. You cannot accurately say Nazism corrupted society and culture--Nazism was a PRODUCT of German society and culture, or at least of what might have passed as culture by that point in time. As long as things were good in Germany, most people were happy and could continue on with business as usual. As soon as you get one hot-headed monarch involving the country in foreign wars that didn't concern them, you set a series of events in motion that shifts the balance towards dangerous cultural and populist movements that end in even worse disaster for the nation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Germany

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 2:00 pm

Misslizard wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
German culture existed before the Nazi party came on the scene and tried to claim it as their own and corrupt it.

German culture was corrupted when Emperor Willie couldn't read his GPS and tried to invade Russia by marching through Belgium. German glory imploded when their enemies forced them to walk their front lines back towards the German border, fueling national panic and destroying the Kaiser's ability to rule. Germany's capitulation managed to preserve the sovereignty of the country but made German identity a mark of shame rather than a mark of pride.

The Nazi party didn't corrupt German culture. There was no meaningful German culture. Nazism, as misguided as it was, represented an attempt at restoring German culture and national pride.

The problem the Germans faced both in the monarchy and under Nazism was the prevailing view that the German people do not exist for themselves but for the nation. The end of WW2 in Germany represented a full realization of the logical extreme of Hitler's program: If the German people cannot protect the sovereignty of their nation, they aren't fit to exist. Hitler was prepared to send every last German man, woman, and child to their deaths.

German culture under Emperor Willie had quietly become self-destructive. That carried over into the Weimar Republic when the German people got the mistaken idea that the majority is always right, and that directly led to Hitler and his disciples discovering how to manipulate the culture and government into granting him unlimited power.

Fun fact: Nazism didn't originate with Hitler. Hitler's ideas were shaped by Georg Ritter von Schönerer and Karl Lueger. And German nationalism even predates those guys with Johann Gottlieb Fichte being a major influence. The party itself has its beginnings with Anton Drexler and Karl Harrer, along with some others. The ideas of völkisch nationalism were especially popular among members of the Freikorps. You cannot accurately say Nazism corrupted society and culture--Nazism was a PRODUCT of German society and culture, or at least of what might have passed as culture by that point in time. As long as things were good in Germany, most people were happy and could continue on with business as usual. As soon as you get one hot-headed monarch involving the country in foreign wars that didn't concern them, you set a series of events in motion that shifts the balance towards dangerous cultural and populist movements that end in even worse disaster for the nation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Germany

And…?

Kant, Nietzche, Schopenhauer, Fichte, Hegel, and Lueger. That’s all you need to know. Then you’re just one bad-tempered monarch, a world war, and a Drexler away from a final solution that would have been a Fichte wet dream.

I don’t believe that Nazism was inevitable from culture alone. I think Kaiser Willie set some things in motion that unintentionally led to popular support for the Nazis.

It is an extreme example of how cultural identity can be dangerous for people.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 2:08 pm

Every culture that exists has a down side.
Show me one that doesn't.
Southern culture has slavery, Jim Crow, etc but that isn’t all that defines it.
Along with the ugly there is the beautiful.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 2:09 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Germany's capitulation managed to preserve the sovereignty of the country but made German identity a mark of shame rather than a mark of pride.

This happened in the United States, where, until, World War I, a lot of the people spoke German. Did this happen in Germany, too?

AngelRho wrote:
There was no meaningful German culture. Nazism, as misguided as it was, represented an attempt at restoring German culture and national pride.

They wanted to restore something that did not previously exist in a meaningful way?

AngelRho wrote:

German culture under Emperor Willie had quietly become self-destructive.

Germany wasn't solely responsible for World War I. The war was also self-destructive for the Russians, Turks, British and French, although the French did take back territory that they had lost to the Germans in the Franco-Prussian War.

AngelRho wrote:

That carried over into the Weimar Republic when the German people got the mistaken idea that the majority is always right, and that directly led to Hitler and his disciples discovering how to manipulate the culture and government into granting him unlimited power.

From what I understand (I haven't studied the issues thoroughly), there was violent conflict between Communists and Nazis during the Weimar Republic. Germans also suffered more from the Great Depression than many other people. Inflation was astronomical.

The Weimar Republic was also a time of blossoming culture. You must have seen Cabaret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlB8RAJEEc

AngelRho wrote:

Fun fact: Nazism didn't originate with Hitler. Hitler's ideas were shaped by Georg Ritter von Schönerer and Karl Lueger. And German nationalism even predates those guys with Johann Gottlieb Fichte being a major influence. The party itself has its beginnings with Anton Drexler and Karl Harrer, along with some others. The ideas of völkisch nationalism were especially popular among members of the Freikorps.

That was fun.

AngelRho wrote:

You cannot accurately say Nazism corrupted society and culture--Nazism was a PRODUCT of German society and culture, or at least of what might have passed as culture by that point in time.

Is Trumpism a product of what passes for American culture?

AngelRho wrote:

As long as things were good in Germany, most people were happy and could continue on with business as usual.

Germany had an economic crisis when the Nazis took over.

AngelRho wrote:
As soon as you get one hot-headed monarch involving the country in foreign wars that didn't concern them, you set a series of events in motion that shifts the balance towards dangerous cultural and populist movements that end in even worse disaster for the nation.

Sounds like Trumpism.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 10:42 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Every culture that exists has a down side.
Show me one that doesn't.
Southern culture has slavery, Jim Crow, etc but that isn’t all that defines it.
Along with the ugly there is the beautiful.

I never said those things define culture. I said culture defines those things.

Southern slavery was merely the symptom of a deadly (but curable) disease. The insane plantation mentality was bolstered by the idea that enslaving blacks was not only beneficial for the slaves, but it was the "good Christian" thing to do. It was nothing more than an attempt by greedy people to maximize profits by denying laborers the produce of their hands. That little aspect of human nature never really changes, that people act on envy and greed. But southern culture is most certainly responsible for perpetuating black slavery.

The worst part of southern slavery was that the institution was too well-ingrained in southern society to simply declare it illegal without a fight. Plantation owners had a collectivist mentality, though. Washington and Jefferson are two examples of southern slave owners who at least had some sort of plan for maintaining slavery under conditions that were actually livable. And Washington insisted on caring for slaves while he was alive, made provisions upon death that his slaves would not be separated from their families, and made sure that ex-slaves would be cared for once emancipated upon Martha's death. His actions are heroic in that he respected individuals even though freeing them would make them worse off, and he cared about them as individuals enough that he refused to let them be abandoned and mistreated after he was gone. It's not that slavery is ever OK or acceptable. It's that forcing freedom on someone is never the right way to go. That was the biggest mistake Reconstruction era Republicans made. Ex-slaves were guaranteed the same rights as white men. Abandoning them and subjecting them to Southern democrat hatred and resentment made them worse off than when they were slaves. Over time American society could have come to accept them on its own terms. That didn't happen, hence why you had Jim Crowe and everything that led up to the Civil Rights movement.

EVERYTHING that has been done for black people since then has been all about preserving the postwar power structure that prevents many black people from voting any other way than Democrat. Oh, sure, many of them CHOOSE to vote the way they do. It's a free country. But what message does that send? That the black man can only improve his lot by relying on the great white savior.

The Southern culture of greed was corrupt then, and its variants throughout the country are corrupt now.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 1:02 am

What do you mean by EVERYTHING?
I doubt the voting rights act of 65 was designed to keep Black folk voting democrat.It was to ensure ALL citizens could participate in elections.
However it did cause racist Southern White people to turn rapidly turn Republican.
When Blacks went North for work they weren’t very well received by the people there ,who worried they would take their jobs or worse, date their daughter.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/chapte ... reedom.htm
Poor people of all colors receive help with food and financial assistance, (I do) medical assistance and grants for education ,so how is that keeping people of color oppressed?
The plantations would not have prospered if textile mills had refused to buy slave produced cotton, so the North with its mills ,was also a part of the problem.
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny- ... n-kingdom/

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2023, 1:38 am

Misslizard wrote:
I doubt the voting rights act of 65 was designed to keep Black folk voting democrat.It was to ensure ALL citizens could participate in elections.
However it did cause racist Southern White people to turn rapidly turn Republican.
When Blacks went North for work they weren’t very well received by the people there ,who worried they would take their jobs or worse, date their daughter.
Poor people of all colors receive help with food and financial assistance, (I do) medical assistance and grants for education ,so how is that keeping people of color oppressed?
The plantations would not have prospered if textile mills had refused to buy slave produced cotton, so the North with its mills ,was also a part of the problem.

Yes, Northern mills and Northern Capital. JP Morgan Chase, Lehman Bros, New York Life, U.S. Life, FleetBoston Bank and even Brooks Brothers have profited from slavery or were amalgamated from banking or insurance firms that did. Northern financial institutions insured the lives of slaves in the South and excepted them as collateral, without transporting them to the North.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 12:34 pm

Misslizard wrote:

What party did Lyndon Johnson belong to? And I suppose Johnson was one of the many black presidents we’ve elected in American history?

Democrats jumped ship and became Republican because the Democratic Party had taken a solid turn against individual rights and embraced collectivism. White people ideas that produced disasters such as Cabrini-Green, Pruitt-Igoe, and The Pinks.

According to the NAACP, the 1943 race riot was caused by a shortage of affordable housing, discrimination in employment, lack of minority representation in the police, and white police brutality. By 1967 Detroit had a Democratic mayor, the USA had a Democratic President.

Some of the problems of 1943 were never resolved, so in retrospect the 1967 riot isn’t really surprising. Liberal public housing policies forced whites out of housing projects and contributed to white flight, coinciding with a decline in the automotive industry. Blacks, meanwhile, were basically “paid” to stay poor to qualify for public housing, which also contributed to the perception that they were trapped.

You can read about the immediate causes of the 1967 riot if you like. I think for our purposes right now the response to it is more relevant.

First of all, the white, Democratic mayor who had to that point cultivated a positive relationship with his black constituents refused to ask for troops to quickly end the riot. He refused to ask because it would have meant asking a Republican governor for help. George Romney, otoh, was seen as a major contender for the Republican nominee in the primaries, and Johnson stalled sending troops claiming Romney needed to declare an insurrection first. Cavanagh’s excuse for not acting sooner? The National Guard was all white and it would have looked bad.

In the end Johnson’s bid to damage St. George failed to improve Democratic prospects in the next election. But it does highlight Democratic policies of maintaining power structures and blaming others for their failures.

The part of CRT I object to is the part about whites being inherently privileged, racist, and the sole source of problems faced by the black community. I don’t disagree that racist power structures exist, else you wouldn’t have racists like Cavanagh or Johnson “helping” black people by NOT doing anything and then only calling in troops when it’s already too late.

I don’t think Republicans are pure as driven snow, either. Republicans and Democrats are merely two sides of the same worthless coin. But I do believe Democrats have been consistent about fostering a liberal culture of racist power structures that oddly resonates with black voters. I’m mystified that so many black voters support an ideology that keeps them victimized. But that is just what has become of the culture.

If I want to see CRT succeed in anything, it’s that black people will see through the facade of liberal do-gooders and recognize them as the problem. That will at least shed a light on the lies of CRT. For instance, the lie that the best white people can do is be open about their racism and commit to staying out of the way. An open admission of racism won’t solve the problem. If anything, it’s hollow virtue signaling that is only politically expedient for maintaining white power structures and keeping black people oppressed. The only thing white people can do to help black people as a people is LITERALLY nothing. The only way a black person can achieve great things is by setting aside cultural identity and succeed as an INDIVIDUAL.

It’s not about being ashamed of being black. It’s not about denying one’s own heritage. It’s about rejecting labels and being personally defined by something that isn’t necessarily in your best interest. Having a love for a culture is just fine IF AND ONLY IF it reflects your individual values. I actually do like German culture. I’m pretty much obsessed with South Korean culture, also. But loving all things Korean doesn’t make me Korean, doesn’t mean I hate being white, doesn’t mean I think Korean people are better than black people. It just means that I define my preferences. I don’t restrict myself to silly definitions like the color of my skin, what my ancestors did, or even how other people think of me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 1:02 pm

I know what party Johnson was, voting rights are human rights.Period.
We did elect one Black president, have you forgotten?
The housing shortage was because rich White developers bought the properties and built expensive housing for White people.
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalhi ... dfinal.pdf
White people also get paid to stay poor.I see it all the time here.
White people can do something to help people of color, it’s called not being a racist.
As for White privilege, who originally occupied the land you are on?
I have land because of White privilege.I don’t get randomly stopped by the police because I am a little old White lady.
My ancestors arrived here early on some of the first ships ,stole property from the original inhabitants and massacred them.
I don’t feel guilt because I didn’t do it.I can acknowledge it.
Simple truth.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 2:28 pm

AngelRho wrote:

Democrats jumped ship and became Republican because the Democratic Party had taken a solid turn against individual rights and embraced collectivism.

You mean against White Supremacy.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 8:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o80BB0qZoVM

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 10:32 am

Don't say you allow free speech and then censor people. That is just a lie and it makes you a hypocrite. Basically he wants an echo chamber. He lost millions on Twitter because businesses stopped using the platform to sponsor their business but good for me because now my feed isn't filled with promo tweets and no more click bait articles. It was annoying because it was just spam.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 11:02 am

League_Girl wrote:
Don't say you allow free speech and then censor people. That is just a lie and it makes you a hypocrite. Basically he wants an echo chamber. He lost millions on Twitter because businesses stopped using the platform to sponsor their business but good for me because now my feed isn't filled with promo tweets and no more click bait articles. It was annoying because it was just spam.

I kinda agree with you on that. Don't make something about free speech and then take away that freedom.

But I also sorta get where Musk is coming from. Twitter had NEVER been about free speech to begin with. Twitter was already such a large platform that a lot of users depended on to communicate with their followers. You had a large number of Twitter members getting censored/banned for right-wing tweets. You could argue that what they said was harmful or disturbing to left-wing folks. But that means conservatives can't openly disagree with libs. And that's fine, but it's not free speech.

I don't see Musk as turning Twitter into an exclusively conservative platform. I think the goal is to make it more balanced and open to a diverse range of opinions. And to make sure everyone is playing nice and fair, some users are bound to get canned. WrongPlanet is a lot more extreme than Twitter in that regard. I don't mind admitting I've gotten reprimanded for things. But by getting reprimands, I've also learned to recognize when I'm being mistreated. I'm not always right, but if I believe something is wrong with how another WP member engages with me or someone else, I'll report it. Mods have been very patient with me, and I've even put myself in a voluntary time-out before.

But WP is not free speech. WP belongs to the creator and site admins. They don't even need a reason to ban any one of us. Twitter is no different. It's just bigger.

What I LIKE about Twitter is how it forces me to be less wordy. Maybe next year I'll make a New Year's resolution to ONLY post on WP like I do on Twitter--strict character length on each tweet, and if I need more space to make a point, no more than 5 tweets total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 May 2023, 11:20 am

Currently I only follow one of my favourite comic strips on Twitter.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 11:43 am

AngelRho wrote:
You had a large number of Twitter members getting censored/banned for right-wing tweets.

For example, starting an insurrection?

AngelRho wrote:
You could argue that what they said was harmful or disturbing to left-wing folks.

Are you calling Mike Pence a "left-wing folk?"

AngelRho wrote:
But that means conservatives can't openly disagree with libs. And that's fine, but it's not free speech.

Yeah, we can probably do fine without that kind of garbage. Especially when there is zero accountability. Too many people take it seriously and are incited to violence.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 12:44 pm

AngelRho wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I kinda agree with you on that. Don't make something about free speech and then take away that freedom.

But I also sorta get where Musk is coming from. Twitter had NEVER been about free speech to begin with. Twitter was already such a large platform that a lot of users depended on to communicate with their followers. You had a large number of Twitter members getting censored/banned for right-wing tweets. You could argue that what they said was harmful or disturbing to left-wing folks. But that means conservatives can't openly disagree with libs. And that's fine, but it's not free speech.

I don't see Musk as turning Twitter into an exclusively conservative platform. I think the goal is to make it more balanced and open to a diverse range of opinions. And to make sure everyone is playing nice and fair, some users are bound to get canned. WrongPlanet is a lot more extreme than Twitter in that regard. I don't mind admitting I've gotten reprimanded for things. But by getting reprimands, I've also learned to recognize when I'm being mistreated. I'm not always right, but if I believe something is wrong with how another WP member engages with me or someone else, I'll report it. Mods have been very patient with me, and I've even put myself in a voluntary time-out before.

No one ever said WP was a free speech site. There is no such thing as freedom of speech at places unless you go to I2. But you will never be free from consequences when you have freedom of speech for real.

Also he is banning people who post left wing stuff and criticize what he is doing. This shows how fragile he is. He even banned someone for knowing what plane he flew and where he went because they tracked it on a website that shows flights and where they are going.

Meanwhile on this forum, you only get in trouble for posting racist and nazi s**t and homophobia and anti senitism and of course when you criticize republicans and conservatives or call someone out on their racism. They protect the other side as well and their feelings. f**k human rights. To fight for human rights, you have to call out the other side that is causing harm. At least on reddit we can do this other stuff and we don't have to be nice about it if someone is racist or a misogynist. They're not going to change their minds anyway so no point in being nice about it when calling them out by disagreeing with them and telling them why you disagree with their view. But here, it's breaking a rule either way no matter how nice you are about it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.