How can it be a racing game if it's a single-player game?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2023, 12:05 pm

I have to wonder how can a racing game be a racing game if it's only single player?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 1:35 pm

You can race against the clock, as is typical in rally.
You can race against AI bots.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 1:45 pm

I prefer one player mode on racing games unless specifically with a group of irl friends tbh

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 9:37 am

colliegrace wrote:
I prefer one player mode on racing games unless specifically with a group of irl friends tbh

Same. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a race with a bunch of people who can't drive, let alone race. :lol:

Don't ask how many hours it took to get the AI in rFactor up to a decent level. :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 11:09 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
I have to wonder how can a racing game be a racing game if it's only single player?

You didn't live through the era where that was basically all that was available if you didn't have a friend to come over and play? Up until sometime in the late '90s that was really your only option if you didn't have somebody to physically come over and race with.

In what probably should have been a massive hint that I might be ASD, I'd spend many hours racing the same tracks over and over again trying to get the best possible line. That and running over that F-ing horse. I think it was put in there just for people to run over.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2023, 6:19 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

You didn't live through the era where that was basically all that was available if you didn't have a friend to come over and play? Up until sometime in the late '90s that was really your only option if you didn't have somebody to physically come over and race with.

I have tried to look online to see how you would be able to do a single player racing game, such as in "Mario Kart", or, back in the day, on something like "Rad Racer", which had only a single player option. I've tried to look it up in instruction manuals or game guides, but nothing seemed to give any indication about how you can race when you're in single player mode.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 12:54 am

mharrington85 wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

I have tried to look online to see how you would be able to do a single player racing game, such as in "Mario Kart", or, back in the day, on something like "Rad Racer", which had only a single player option. I've tried to look it up in instruction manuals or game guides, but nothing seemed to give any indication about how you can race when you're in single player mode.

The computer controls the other vehicles.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う