DeSantis/Trump - The lesser evil for the anti authoriterian

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 3:14 pm

Jonathan Chait for New York Magazine

Quote:
I am not, to say the least, a fan of Ron DeSantis. I was one of the first writers to notice his emerging authoritarian ambitions and unnerving success in discovering illiberal uses of state power to intimidate his enemies. Since that time, he has only grown more authoritarian and dangerous.

The question everybody seems to want to ask about Desantis is “Do you think he’s worse than Donald Trump?” I don’t consider that a terribly relevant standard. I’m not planning to vote in the Republican primary and, given that both men pose existential dangers to the American political order, by far the most important answer to the choice of Trump versus DeSantis is “Neither.”

But for whatever reason, people seem interested in the question of who liberal (small-d) democrats should prefer: Trump or DeSantis. And I did briefly opine in 2016, before reversing myself a few weeks later, that they should root for a Trump nomination.

So, what the heck, I will give the people what they want: My current view, subject to change, is that liberals should prefer the Republican nomination go to DeSantis.

DeSantis would be easier to beat than Trump
A year ago, I considered DeSantis a more potent nominee than Trump. Now, I think the evidence points the other way.

Trump has well-known liabilities as a general-election nominee that hardly need recapitulating here. But DeSantis’s liabilities have grown significantly. He has gone on the record in the past supporting both privatization and benefit cuts for Social Security and Medicare, a position so deeply toxic that even most Republican voters recoil from it. More recently, he signed a ban on abortion after six weeks, a period so restrictive it virtually amounts to a complete ban.

What may be more revealing is DeSantis’s navigation of the issue. A more deft politician would have prevailed on his allies in the state legislature to quietly kill the ban, or at least soften it. Instead, he was essentially cornered into signing it. The vulnerabilities the issue presents to him were given away by the fact that he held a private signing ceremony at nearly 11:00 PM, and then declined to bring the subject up the next day when he spoke at Liberty University.

DeSantis is clearly trying to run to Trump’s right on social policy, but he is aware that he is creating problems for himself should he win the nomination. Yes, DeSantis would be able to regain some of the orthodox Republican voters repelled by Trump’s personal style. But he would forfeit not only some of the Trump cultists whose only connection to Republican politicians is a personal attachment to the 45th president, but also some of the working-class voters Trump attracted by discarding some of his party’s unpopular issue baggage.

Trump might — might — be more dangerous as president
Comparing a Trump presidency to a DeSantis presidency takes even more guesswork than comparing the two men as candidates. And here the available evidence strikes me as equivocal.

The most likely scenario, I believe, is that a DeSantis presidency would do more harm. Because DeSantis is smarter and enjoys more unified elite-Republican support than Trump, he would probably have more success advancing his agenda. This agenda includes traditional conservative policy goals — reducing taxes on the rich, cutting spending for the poor, restricting abortion, etc. — and using the state in Nixonian fashion. DeSantis is a National Conservative who is patterning himself after Viktor Orban, a right-wing leader who turned his governing majority into a machine for consolidating power.

When he was president, Trump’s efforts to abuse his authority frequently failed because of incompetence or the qualms of his henchmen. DeSantis’s illiberal measures are usually legal (with some exceptions) and meet very little intraparty opposition.

The median-case expectation for a DeSantis presidency is, to my mind, worse, than that for a Trump one. However, the tail risks of a Trump presidency loom large. The United States managed to avoid the worst possible outcomes under his administration — war, chaos, martial law — in part because government officials habitually disregarded Trump’s directives. As his presidency went on, however, Trump got better at sniffing out the secretly rational or public-minded officials in his midst and replacing them with genuine loyalists.

It is hardly a safe assumption that a second Trump presidency would avoid the most disastrous possible outcomes. And while DeSantis appears intent on driving the United States toward an Orban-like illiberal democracy in which the ruling party slowly strangles the opposition, the slowly part matters. As awful as it may be, democratic backsliding is at least potentially reversible. The worst conceivable outcomes of a second Trump presidency might not be.

It would be better to beat DeSantis than Trump
The previous category presumes the Republican presidential nominee has won. Now I want to imagine a scenario where the Republican has lost. Does it matter? I’d argue that it matters a lot, and the country would be much better off defeating DeSantis than Trump.

Defeating Donald Trump in the general election means first winning the vote (which, in both of the two elections in which he has run, required winning the national vote by 3 to 4 percent), then defeating his legal challenges and then probably putting down an insurrection. Even coming out of this process successfully leaves deep civic scars. It is not a good situation to be in.

DeSantis would absolutely engage in Bush v. Gore–style hardball, perhaps with a Brooks Brother riot or two in the case of a very close election. But he is at least likely to restrict his challenges to legal activities. DeSantis is a young man with a future at stake even if he loses, and he wouldn’t burn the country down out of anger (or fear of personal criminal exposure).

What’s more, the candidate you beat matters for the lessons the defeated party is apt to take away. The Republican party’s evolution toward authoritarianism is the greatest problem in American politics. Simply trying to keep Republicans out of power can only work for so long. What needs to happen at some point is for Republicans themselves to decide their own extremism and anti-democratic tendencies are an impediment to power rather than a shortcut to obtaining it.

As we’ve seen, beating Donald Trump again would only go so far in teaching the Republican party any lessons. The Trump base still wants to nominate Trump again. The Republican elite is hoping to nominate a more disciplined authoritarian who will hold together Trump’s coalition all the way out to the anti-vaxxers, J6ers, and white nationalists, whom DeSantis is keeping in the tent.

Defeating DeSantis would send a tougher message: The problem isn’t just one man but an entire style of politics. Republicans might see a DeSantis loss as a repudiation of the Trumpist style of totalistic partisan culture war, or even of the uncompromising right-wing social and economic agenda. I wouldn’t bet on this. It will probably take several defeats for the lesson to sink in. But a DeSantis loss would seem to offer a faster road back to sanity for the GOP.

Needless to say, my analysis of the choice at this early stage may change with the course of events. And I must emphasize again that nobody needs to vote in the Republican primary, and the best option for any liberal, moderate, or believer in democracy is to keep the Republicans away from power until they become sane again. In the meantime, the party has nothing to offer but different kinds of bad choices.

A few months ago I did say Trump would be the lesser evil for a lot of the reasons listed above. I still kind of feel that way but since that time time Trump’s legal issues have become both the elephant in the room and the great unknown.

As of now all of the signs point to Trump being nominated then the logjam finally getting broken and Trump getting whupped in the popular vote and the electoral collage. The 2018 midterms, the 2020 general, the 2022 midterms, the special and local elections since and yes the indictment and the ones likely to come.

The above presumes something resembling the status quo remains.

but, but, but, but, but, but
All of Biden’s gaffes and senior moments have not made him the greater evil for a slim majority. The Ireland trip was disturbing. In 2024 he won’t have COVID as a reason to run from home. What if he has a major health scare or just is silent or mumbling for an extended period of time during a debate? If not Biden who?

I am not any doctor or neurologist and maybe we are seeing things that is not there, just Biden being Biden. That will be enough if everything resembling the status quo remains. But what if Ukraine or Taiwan falls or both, plausable scenarios.

If Trump wins again despite multiple indictments and civil fraud and defamation lawsuits. Then the American public would have decided despite it all had decided he was the lesser of two evils. How do people react both domestically and foreign? The emboldened MAGA’s would not just be owning the libs but would be running pograms against the libs, the RINO’s, and whomever. And I could see the left going beyond cancelation to elimination. And who knows what a super emboldened, ego inflated Trump would do.

Ok ASPartOfMe catch your breath, most of the evidence points to some non MAGA taking the oath of office-on January 20, 2025. It is just that on the odd chance that everything works out bad the result would be such a nightmare that I just can’t answer the question posed in the title. I just f****n can’t.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Apr 2023, 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 3:39 pm

The best solution would be to dissolve the GOP, and only allow left-wing parties. Governors like Abbott and DeSantis should be thrown in jail for crimes against humanity (Abbott for letting hundreds freeze to death, DeSantis for the almost certain number of LGBT suicides due to bullying that have or will happen under his watch)

One's complaint about the Dems should be that they're not far enough to the left, not that they're too far to the left.

People like AOC, Omar, Tlaib, et al, should run the show.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 4:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The best solution would be to dissolve the GOP, and only allow left-wing parties. Governors like Abbott and DeSantis should be thrown in jail for crimes against humanity (Abbott for letting hundreds freeze to death, DeSantis for the almost certain number of LGBT suicides due to bullying that have or will happen under his watch)

One's complaint about the Dems should be that they're not far enough to the left, not that they're too far to the left.

People like AOC, Omar, Tlaib, et al, should run the show.

Thats rather undemocratic. If you're going to fight "authoritarianism" WITH authoritarianism by outlawing parties then it would be more fair to force both parties to split in two. Have a traditional GOP, headed by Mitt Romney, with columunist George Will as his running mate...to uphold traditional GOP values. And then have a second MAGA GOP, and let Trump, and DeSantis, duke it out for the leadership of that party.

Then force the Dems to split into two parties: the old school middle of road Dems headed by incumbent Joe Biden, and then have a second newfangled populist Democrat party headed by Bernie Sanders, with AOC as his running mate. And then let the four parties compete in the general election. Or thats been a fantasy of mine for a while...as the best way to see which direction the populous wants the country to go.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2023, 7:48 pm

DeSantis is much, much smarter than Trump, but his ego may trip him up. Up until very recently, he considered himself unstoppable. He is very dangerous.

Trump is a buffoon and a wild card.

But either could press the red button. Trump is more likely to have babysitters.

Biden would always have a solid back up.

Remember when we thought Romney or Bush were “bad.” Heaven help us.

I like naturalplastic’s proposal, but no idea how to implement it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 12:26 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I like naturalplastic’s proposal, but no idea how to implement it.

For now the best chance of having neither DeSantis or Trump win is Trump running as a third party candidate and having one Democrat nominee.

blazingstar wrote:

Remember when we thought Romney or Bush were “bad.” Heaven help us

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Even Nixon is looking really good about now. He only tried to rig an election he had in the bag.
:)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2023, 7:19 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The best solution would be to dissolve the GOP

The solution is to dissolve all political parties. In the original America presidents did not run with a party there were just individual candidates (or so I was told.)

Quote:
But either could press the red button. Trump is more likely to have babysitters.

Trump seems very anti-nuke, I'd feel more comfortable with him near the red button than Slo' Joe.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 7:25 pm

There isn't any equivalent legal action coming from the right direction to corrupt left figures.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2023, 7:46 pm

There have only been two times The Joint Chiefs of Staff have told their respective branches of the armed services to ignore or redirect any potential executive command to launch the stuff: when they received reports of a likely drunken Nixon talking to portraits in the White House during Watergate and when Trump threatened to deploy nuclear weapons after asking staffers or Cabinet members why he couldn't just use nukes if the U.S. has them.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2023, 7:38 am

RandoNLD wrote:
There have only been two times The Joint Chiefs of Staff have told their respective branches of the armed services to ignore or redirect any potential executive command to launch the stuff: when they received reports of a likely drunken Nixon talking to portraits in the White House during Watergate and when Trump threatened to deploy nuclear weapons after asking staffers or Cabinet members why he couldn't just use nukes if the U.S. has them.

Send me the article about it because the search engine is being useless right now. All I see are articles about Gen Miley being paranoid about nukes because he was worried about Trump getting mad about election fraud. I see nothing about Trump actually trying to deploy nukes.

If what you say is true though then the alternative is giving nukes to Alzheimers patient.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Apr 2023, 6:53 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The solution is to dissolve all political parties. In the original America presidents did not run with a party there were just individual candidates (or so I was told.)

Quote:

Trump seems very anti-nuke, I'd feel more comfortable with him near the red button than Slo' Joe.

Only one President ran without a party: George Washington.

Adams, Jefferson, and so forth all had parties. Jefferson famously was strongly partisan! It would be weird for a politician not to have people who agreed with them and wanted to pursue similar goals, after all.

As for nukes - Trump is obsessed with the idea of using nukes. It is ridiculous to think he would be less likely to use them than Uncle Joe. This is obviously a partisan source, so question the framing, but you can verify the quotes. And that's just before he became President! The infamous "fire and fury" Tweet was as President. This nonsense is post-Presidency. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say Trump is more pro-nuclear than Truman, who allegedly only agreed to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki because he thought they would mostly be damaging military bases. I think the circumstances in which Trump uses a bomb are much broader than the end of WWII.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 7:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Quote:

Only one President ran without a party: George Washington.

Adams, Jefferson, and so forth all had parties. Jefferson famously was strongly partisan! It would be weird for a politician not to have people who agreed with them and wanted to pursue similar goals, after all.

As for nukes - Trump is obsessed with the idea of using nukes. It is ridiculous to think he would be less likely to use them than Uncle Joe. This is obviously a partisan source, so question the framing, but you can verify the quotes. And that's just before he became President! The infamous "fire and fury" Tweet was as President. This nonsense is post-Presidency. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say Trump is more pro-nuclear than Truman, who allegedly only agreed to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki because he thought they would mostly be damaging military bases. I think the circumstances in which Trump uses a bomb are much broader than the end of WWII.

Trump certainly has poor impulse control. That’s why he has had so many ‘babysitters.’ To say he has any real thought-out policies of any kind is a stretch. It’s just whatever happens to come out of his mouth at the time.

Biden, whether you like him or not, has had decades of actual governance experience. That’s just a fact. He knows the ropes and knows how to use his professional advisors. This makes him far less likely to start a nuclear confrontation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 12:04 am

Democrats for the win no matter who is at the Republican wheelhouse.
I have explained why previously. 8)

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2023, 8:12 am

The_Walrus wrote:

Those articles remind me of the Jews trying to trip up Jesus and make him do something stupid. They are just jackals trying to manipulate him, asking misleading questions like how prosecutors do on trials.

If he said the opposite thing the media would try to twist it as a bad thing, its what they do. For example the Japan statement: if he said not to allow Japan to have nukes the media would call him a bigot and say the US has no right to define nuclear policy after what they did at Hiroshima.

As for the nuclear submarine that is the right call. Putin is a madman and you need to threaten people like that with nukes. Its the whole point of nukes in the first place. If the US didn't have nukes Putin probably would have already nuked Ukraine by now. And that's what trump was saying, what's the point of building nukes if there's no threat of using them? These media hypocrits should out MGS'sing all the nukes if they really believed what they claim.

Quote:
Biden, whether you like him or not, has had decades of actual governance experience. That’s just a fact. He knows the ropes and knows how to use his professional advisors. This makes him far less likely to start a nuclear confrontation.

He's too much of a politician and I don't trust that. The threat is not only starting a nuclear confrontation, but allowing it to happen. For instance the US gov allowed Pearl Harbor to happen. I don't believe Trump would have allowed that to happen. But someone part of the political system? Who knows, puppets tend to do what they are told.