Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Im.so.me.rn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2023, 5:12 pm

Does anyone else feel unbelievably trapped in school, like I’m sorry but there is no way the best way for me to learn is sitting down with 20 other teenagers in a fluorescent lit room with no fresh air, sunlight ect for 7 hours and ‘teaching’ by talking on and on and on. I’ve learnt more in 5 days hands on farm work experience during lambing season than i have 4 years of secondary school. And guess what, its stuff i would actually use in life too. Like it’s absolutely ridiculous giving all these kids such an unhealthy work environment teaching them nothing but how to have panic attacks to the point of throwing up over math tests they will never use in their life again age 12 (from personal experience) anyway, little rant over.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 6:12 pm

Some of my time in school I liked, some I did not.

I learned more during some of it and less during some of it.

But if you successfully complete it you get a diploma/degree/certificate/whatever that will give you credibility when you want to move on to better things. Some advanced schools/advanced jobs/better-paying jobs will not take you seriously unless you have that diploma/degree/certificate/whatever.

And ideally you can figure out how to learn at least something while earning the
diploma/degree/certificate/whatever.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 8:58 pm

I did fine at my first school for some reason, but as I got older I found it more and more difficult to take in what the teachers were saying, until I became unable to get much at all out of a typical lecture. I'd be OK for the first few minutes but then my attention span would reach its limit and I'd be wasting my time to stay in the room. If I'm naturally interested in the subject matter and the lecturer speaks clearly and not too fast, and the background noise is low, I could do very well, but those things are out of my control and don't usually get arranged as I'd need them to be.

I've often wondered why I did so well during my early years. The class sizes were smaller, the background noise was low, the clarity and pace of the material was good, and for some reason I was usually interested in what the teacher was saying. And Dad had given me a good start by teaching me letters and numbers, which the other kids didn't know at first, so I got a head start and the teacher probably took a liking to me because I performed well, which would have given me the confidence to stay calm. In those days they could be pretty hateful to kids who didn't perform well.