Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

bkelly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2023, 7:29 pm

Hello,
I was not diagnosed with Asperger's until age 65, about 7 years ago now. I recently divorced, moved to a new city to be near my daughter, Altamonte Springs, FL I don't know anyone here and am looking for some means and place to communicate.
Is this a good place to start,
Bryan

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 8:55 pm

I don't know that this is a good place to connect to Floridians. This is a good place to chat with others on the Wrong Planet, however. There are many different topic areas here and if you find a few that are comfortable for you than you can get some distraction here; personally I stick to a very small number of threads but I very much like visiting them.

If a thread gets unpleasant, please just leave the thread, not the whole planet.

Oh, and most importantly: Welcome to WP!

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2023, 10:44 pm

Hello and welcome Bryan. If you don't find someone from your state then maybe you can expand your horizons here so to speak! Wish you the best!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 11:02 pm

Welcome, I'm about as far away from FL as you can get in the lower 48, but online socializing is legitimate socializing and there's probably folks around that have some ideas about stuff you can do to get more in person social interaction. Personally, I don't need much in person interaction, but there's folks here that probably need more and get more than I do.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 12:11 pm

I am not totally sure I understand your question. In general, Florida is a nice place. Many elderly people move there. So you are located with many people your age and perhaps many people willing to meet new people and make friends.

Perhaps your daughter might give you some advice to areas that you might meet them and make a few lifetime friends.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 5:16 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 1:16 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 6:03 am

welcome! diagnosis makes a world of difference, doesn't it?
I was diagnosed at age 68, am 71 at present. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

bkelly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2023, 8:38 am

Hello,
I misplaced my record for this account and found it again. I am seeing a psychologist for depression.

I heard a radio story about how loneliness is a tremendous problem. That seems to be my primary problem. We isolate ourselves in our homes or apartments and don't have a community relationship.
Having Asperger's means that we don't interact with others in the manner they, normal people, expect and implicitly require. The result of that is it is more difficult to become part of a community or group.
Having on-line friends is better than not, but it does not replace the needs for face to face friendships.

Second topic: In 2013 the American Psychiatric Association (APA) removed Asperger's from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and grouped it in with Autism. My non-professional opinion is that was a mistake. The reason is that we humans need to categorize things, including people. Autism is a catagory. But it is an extremely broad category ranging from barely detectable to disabling. When a person is noted as being autistic, that is just a single category. I suspect we are more likely to be associated with the more severe category and therefore more likely to be shunned. Or maybe just avoided is a better phrase.

To my opinion, there might be a need for many more categories rather than fewer. Asperger's might be considered a category of autism rather then a small segment of it. Then again, we humans don't like so many categories.

Lizzie60
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2023, 10:47 am

Diagnosed at 62 . Hello and Welcome to Wrong Planet.