House Republicans pass bill banning trans women from sport

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 12:04 am

House Republicans are escalating attacks on transgender athletes under the guise of protecting women’s sports, according to the passage of a new bill.

During a Thursday press conference the House speaker, Kevin McCarthy, and other legislators announced the passage of the so-called “Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act” in a party-line vote.

Calling the policy an attempt to “protect basic fairness”, the bill would prohibit transgender women from competing on women’s sports teams in schools and universities that receive public funding.

“Men shouldn’t be able to compete in women’s sports,” said Louisiana congressman Steve Scalise, the House majority leader, at a press conference following the vote.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... icans-bill

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 12:10 am

All these attacks on the transgender community are very discouraging. Especially having a trans sibling who is on HRT and knowing all these laws very much affect her safety and ability to live her life with as little dysphoria as possible. She's not an athlete, but I mean in general. There are laws being or trying to be passed that affect adults like her, too.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 12:27 am

colliegrace wrote:
All these attacks on the transgender community are very discouraging. Especially having a trans sibling who is on HRT and knowing all these laws very much affect her safety and ability to live her life with as little dysphoria as possible. She's not an athlete, but I mean in general. There are laws being or trying to be passed that affect adults like her, too.

Since 2016 the republicans in league with conservative christians have declared war on the trans-community. It doesn't surprise me at all.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 3:21 am

colliegrace wrote:

Yep. It's gross seeing all that's going on in the USA vilifying trans people for culture war points in the right wing media circus echo chamber distraction machine.

I'm not the only Canadian that consumes mostly US news vs. Canadian, so this crap spills over the border here, too. (I live 10 miles North of the USA) I have quite a few trans friends/acquaintances/fwbs etc so even though I'm not trans this stuff hits pretty close to home.

As for sports, maybe it's time to stop segregating people by gender and just let the best human/team win ? Problem solved. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 8:37 pm

The entire right wing social media spends a disproportionate time saying trans rights will mean the end of western civilisation. House republicans know they are preaching to the converted.