Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 3:24 am

That's such a great.idea. I'm going to try it with my roomate.

Do you think it would work of I made a safe.word.for when I'm over explaining? So I know I that the person has understood and I don't need to keep trying to explain.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 4:17 am

Winters Gate wrote:
That's such a great.idea. I'm going to try it with my roomate.

Do you think it would work of I made a safe.word.for when I'm over explaining? So I know I that the person has understood and I don't need to keep trying to explain.

It could work. If the person you are overexplaining to uses the word, but would it be the same person? How would you arrange it? Sorry, I've just woken up.

Yes it works well for me and my friend because when I got confused she used to say 'you know what I mean' 'why don't you understand?' or just 'lol' 'haha' etc. But now we know what the other one means.

I don't have a safe word with my husband but when he was woffling on about something once I just said 'safe word. What on earth are you talking about?' and he got it and explained.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 6:11 pm

It would be my roomate. They told me that sometimes when I'm trying to explain things I spend a lot of time talking about the subject and they have already understood what I was trying to say. So they get annoyed with me.

Sometimes I wonder if people want us to be able to read their minds. Not sure why we are supposed to just automatically know what they are talking about.

Definitely think the safe word idea will help avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 1:49 am

Winters Gate wrote:
It would be my roomate. They told me that sometimes when I'm trying to explain things I spend a lot of time talking about the subject and they have already understood what I was trying to say. So they get annoyed with me.

Sometimes I wonder if people want us to be able to read their minds. Not sure why we are supposed to just automatically know what they are talking about.

Definitely think the safe word idea will help avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.

Oh that sounds like it would work. You could both use the word perhaps. That's what me and my friend do.

I've been learning not to talk about subjects for too long, however much I want to. I've learned to just mention things briefly and go back to them another time. That seems to make people less bored.

Yes I'm not sure about that either- how are we supposed to read people's minds? Why can't they just state things clearly so we all know what we're talking about?

It seems NTs have this secret language they all understand but we don't. :roll:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 10:25 am

KitLily wrote:
Emmett:
KitLily wrote:
If either of us use this word, it means we genuinely don't understand and need a clear explanation of something, not teasing and making fun about it.

That is a wonderful and healthy idea.

And then off on an autistic tangent - of course why that is the word which was chosen is unknown to me, but as a railfan it brings to mind the British aeronautical engineer and artist Rowland Emmett and his much-loved fictional and fanciful "Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 11:48 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Emmett:
KitLily wrote:
If either of us use this word, it means we genuinely don't understand and need a clear explanation of something, not teasing and making fun about it.

That is a wonderful and healthy idea.

And then off on an autistic tangent - of course why that is the word which was chosen is unknown to me, but as a railfan it brings to mind the British aeronautical engineer and artist Rowland Emmett and his much-loved fictional and fanciful "Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway"

What word? Do you mean Emmett? That's the name of the person I'm replying to, not my safe word! :P

:lol: :lol: I'm laughing WITH you not AT you. I love autistic tangents.

It is a great idea, it works very well. Also my friend is Dutch and often doesn't get English grammar. We got into a tangle the other day so she used our word and I explained it :lol:

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 2:05 am

I wish I had an X card for all those times I was in a situation where someone was talking my ear off and I couldn't leave.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"