Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2023, 12:45 am

I have just recently started a new job at Dunkin Donuts, well I am at least training for a week. I feel that I understand everything despite a lot to take in. I was feeling intense anxiety and worry mostly due to trying to figure out how to fit everything else in life in, such as helping my father, taking care of my dog, trying a relationship, as well as other issues. I have been thinking is this why at times we are considered disabled or certain problems? I know NT's get stressed as well but they seem a lot better with taking a lot on, such as 60+ hours a week, two or more kids, marriage or relationship, yet I feel if I tried that my anxiety, emotional issues and asthma would flare up horribly, are we meant more for a private or recluse life? if I had millions of dollars I wouldn't go out much at all

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 12:51 am

Yes I agree. In fact there've been studies showing autistics don't process stresses the same way.

Most of us have strange cortisol patterns meaning it starts off too low in the morning and then gets too high. That means:
(a) our bodies are not prepared for stressful events so can over-react when they occur.
(b) once we do get stressed, we can't de-stress well and stay in a heightened state for longer.
This obviously gets very tiring, and I think that's why most of us do better on reduced working hours.

But try to stick with the job, as you may find that you get used to it and can get into a routine, so that you don't feel so stressed. Then it will get easier.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2023, 1:14 am

I have noticed that if I get angry or upset with something or someone especially if it was something that really bothered me it takes me hours to ''come down'' from the outburst or meltdown and I feel it a day or so after. I also wonder if we are ''delayed'' or ''ill equipped'' for certain situations and or get burnt out from people and the world in general, I consider myself mature and intelligent, yet at 37 mentally I feel in my twenty's or younger, and also if I get upset and have meltdowns I need to leave the room and I just cry by myself, I feel behind my peers I went to school with

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 1:29 am

You're not alone, I have many of the same issues.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 1:43 am

We definitely take longer to process things.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2023, 1:49 am

at my training I did mentally or emotionally feel different

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 1:51 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Yes I agree. In fact there've been studies showing autistics don't process stresses the same way.

Most of us have strange cortisol patterns meaning it starts off too low in the morning and then gets too high. That means:
(a) our bodies are not prepared for stressful events so can over-react when they occur.
(b) once we do get stressed, we can't de-stress well and stay in a heightened state for longer.
This obviously gets very tiring, and I think that's why most of us do better on reduced working hours.

But try to stick with the job, as you may find that you get used to it and can get into a routine, so that you don't feel so stressed. Then it will get easier.

I didn't know any of this Mrs Peel.
I think you need to start a thread on it. :P
I've had lots of cortisol tests but can't remember the results.

OP - Yes, our nervous system is hyperalert and that makes it harder to self-regulate especially with changes to our routine or having to be flexible / adaptable. On top of that it must be really stressful working a food service job and interacting with so many people. It'll probably take you a while to get used to the change so just do the best you can until your body knows what to expect with the anticipation / work / relax cycles associated with work.