Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2023, 6:17 am

I.was brought in a congregation that espoused the worst parts of 5 point Calvinist and Arminian thought. While I got out of that church and went Lutheran (and Luther even admitted that he was imperfect (read his writings regarding the Jews, which most modern Lutherans reject, for example), at least they accept me for who I am, autism or no.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 1:24 pm

colliegrace wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Why does god let bad things happen to good people? The only answer I've ever gotten form anyone about that is the usual non-answer "God works in mysterious ways" or "god never gives us more than we can handle". Both I consider to be BS.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see what god has to say about it.

Well, neither of those are in the Bible, so they are BS.

There are some Biblical references that support the "mysterious ways" notion, e.g. Romans 11:33

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

The one about never being given more than you can handle has a Biblical source, but it seems to be about temptation rather than plain endurance of misery - 1 Corinthians 10:13

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Not sure what you mean by non-Biblical things being BS though. I've heard the idea that the Bible is 100% true, but never the idea that everything else is BS.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 2:46 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Not sure what you mean by non-Biblical things being BS though. I've heard the idea that the Bible is 100% true, but never the idea that everything else is BS.

No, something doesn't have to be in the Bible to be true. The Bible doesn't give instructions on how to brush your teeth for example, but it's still important.
However the Bible is the go-to source when discussing specifically Christian doctrine, along with the history of church teachings that have been passed down. (I'm a converting Catholic.)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 3:19 pm

colliegrace wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

No, something doesn't have to be in the Bible to be true. The Bible doesn't give instructions on how to brush your teeth for example, but it's still important.
However the Bible is the go-to source when discussing specifically Christian doctrine, along with the history of church teachings that have been passed down. (I'm a converting Catholic.)

OK, I've heard the idea that it's the only reliable source of theological matters. As a secular person I can have no opinion about whether or not that's correct.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 3:21 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
colliegrace wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

OK, I've heard the idea that it's the only reliable source of theological matters. As a secular person I can have no opinion about whether or not that's correct.

Depends on which tradition you claim.
Catholics do not follow Sola Scriptura. They believe that there is stuff that was passed down from the apostles by word of mouth, that isn't necessarily in the Bible.

Protestants have Sola Scriptura as a defining doctrine.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 4:21 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Depends on which tradition you claim.
Catholics do not follow Sola Scriptura. They believe that there is stuff that was passed down from the apostles by word of mouth, that isn't necessarily in the Bible.

Protestants have Sola Scriptura as a defining doctrine.

That ties in with what I was reading the other day about a view among some in the "High Church of England" (which seems to be somewhere between Protestantism and Catholicism) that
a man was not consecrated at all, had, indeed, no single attribute of a clergyman, unless he became so through the imposition of some bishop's hands, who had become a
bishop through the imposition of other hands, and so on in a direct line to one of the apostles.

Others in the same church disagreed with that.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 1:31 am

Thanks for all of the ideas and discussion. It has really helped! I guess I have to few Asperger's as the "thorn in the flesh" that the Apostle Paul had. He asked God to remove it and God's answer was "No. My grace is sufficient for you". Paul stated it was there to keep him from boasting and keep him humble.

I had a colleague tell me once that with my level of intelligence the social awkwardness I have could be a positive. If I was this intelligent with good social skills it could have made me very arrogant. The lower level of attractiveness to females probably does keep me out of temptation fill situations, but is still is hard to deal with the fact that you are unattractive.

I guess having a good job, a rather stable life, and a wife who isn't showing any inclination to leave me or cheat on me has to be a good enough life, even if I did miss out on a lot of things.

lil_hippie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2023, 12:45 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
For those of you who are religious, as I am, what do you tell yourself to help understand why God would let you have a disability like Asperger's that messes up your life so much? Curious as to better things I can do to help myself understand this and not feel like it is some sort of punishment. Of course maybe it is??

It's very simple. I believe that God guides human evolution, but this same God also allows nature to mostly run its course. It isn't an activist God constantly intervening in everyday life so much as a God that walks with us through history and allows nature to run its course for us to make our own decisions and choices.

So I don't believe it is a curse. I don't believe it was Gods will for me to have a harder life than the average person any more than it is for a blind or disabled person.

I'm a messianic Jew by the way. I believe its less of my desire for God to intervene and make my life so much better than it is for me to advance the kind of world he would like for mankind to live in. So most of my prayers are not for God to intervene in my life and make things happen on my behalf and more of a wish that I be his partner in making a better world a reality.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2023, 9:04 am

Since Autism is genetically passed .. how can it be a result of past karma ?

Autism is at the front of all human advancements . Don't be neive . Being Autistic is a lesson itself . If you can master that . You can master anything .

Hence why you get Savants , they have overcome their short comings . Probably skipped social interactions (for the most part) and focus on the underlying coils of reality . Hence why these particular individuals can manipulate the fabrics of average understanding .

Einstein
Tesla

Stanley Kubrick

Lionel Messi

.. all on the spectrum .

And look at their contributions to their respected field or craft .

I'm not saying every Autistic is inherent or capable of changing the world . But the fact they see the world different than the general populous is a clue into how they can change things , should they be able or desire to figure their true calling . This stems from innate interests .