Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2023, 8:11 pm

I need to get a job. I want to buy things. Also I don't do much with my days. I just feel like I am not ready. Im 22 though, so people think it's weird I don't have one. I just feel really scared.

I want to move out though. Both of my siblings are doing that. I don't even know why my parents aren't forcing me to get one. Like they don't seem to care very much. They mention it every once in a while. They also think I could get disability. I feel like I could work though, it just seems very intimidating.

I wrote a resume. It's ok. I don't think I could get through a job interview though. I've done mock interviews and they're difficult for me.

I have a hard time following instructions and learning things. I don't know if that would be ok at a job. Is there a way to get better at those things?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 9:43 pm

TBH, if you're in this situation, I'd recommend trying to get hooked up with whatever department handles vocational rehabilitation where you're located. They'll be the ones that are most likely to know about jobs that are suited to your particular strengths and what accommodations might be appropriate to that. The whole point of the agency is to get as many people with disabilities employed as possible.

purplepuffin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2023, 11:57 pm

If you get a basic 'teenager' type job (one where they wouldn't expect you to have any job experience at all), you shouldn't have to worry about a resume or job interviews. You would just have to fill out a form (maybe online nowadays) and have a chat with the manager.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 7:55 pm

purplepuffin wrote:
If you get a basic 'teenager' type job (one where they wouldn't expect you to have any job experience at all), you shouldn't have to worry about a resume or job interviews. You would just have to fill out a form (maybe online nowadays) and have a chat with the manager.

The courtesy clerks at the store I work at don't seem to have to do much actual work. Just about any effort that even remotely looks like what they're supposed to be doing is good enough. It's also potentially a good starting point for a number of other positions that involve a lot of repetitive tasks with the vast majority of the social interactions being ones that can be scripted if need be.

Most jobs will have an online application process these days, if for no other reason than it being easier for the business to run the information through the relevant background check software. Apparently, when I first started working where I currently work,there was a convicted felon whose background check hadn't yet come back.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 9:17 pm

I was 25 before I had a "real" job. It's ok.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2023, 11:42 pm

I'm ND, the closest thing I had to a real job between that and the Great Recession came when I almost 31. In my experience, getting as much interview experience even if I didn't think I'd get the job and all the work experience I could tolerate helped make up for the lack of experience.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 10:43 am

Oh yeah, for sure. Doing volunteer work is a great way to gain experience. I had volunteered at the local humane society, the library, a food bank, and church related events. I also was a janitor at my church for a few years, got paid a little to do it. Technically that was my first job.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2023, 1:16 am

Why don't you take classes at your community college?

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 3:30 am

One thing that helped.me when I had a job was taking notes.

So I would have a.list of procedures or definitions of terms specific to the job. Drawing diagrams would help too for example when I was on the sandwich station I had a diagram of how all the ingredients needed to be set up each day. That way if I got confused I could look at my notes and not have to ask for help.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:14 pm

What is your opinion of Canada's VRA Program, which is the US version of Vocational Rehab?

Perhaps VRA could help you find proper employment.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 3:37 am

Plenty of people have a hard time following instructions and learning things and they still have jobs

Some jobs, there is not much to learn. For example, I work as a lot attendant at home Depot. There is not much to learn. Some jobs, like record keeping associate, there was a lot to learn.

You could apply for jobs and government benefits at the same time