Is new Jennifer Lawrence Movie a good depiction of autism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 10:00 pm

Double Retired wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
Yes, exactly.
I might have to watch the movie just to tell everybody not to watch the movie (?)
You don't have to watch it so you can tell me not to. The trailer is more than sufficient.

YUCK! :thumbdown:

Am I a bad aspie because I think it's funny?
I hope so. :twisted: :mrgreen:

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
On the flipside...it is Jennifer Lawrence, if anyone can cure celibacy it's her in a cocktail dress

lol... I will admit, my very first thought upon reading the OP was "JL? Huh... I wonder what she looks like NOW"

(I stopped consuming nearly all media a couple of years ago)

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 8:39 am

From the early reviews I think it is a very sophomoric depiction of autism. People seem to either love it or hate it. I have not seen any reviews that "diagnose" him as ASD and find that surprising based on the trailer. I don't know if I will be seeing in the a theater, but will probably see it at some point.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 7:25 am

The film is now available for streaming.

I saw it because of the “autism” angle and that the movie was filmed near where I live and the actor who played the 19 year old grew up here.

Autism:
The lead character is IMHO is coded Autistic. Autism is never mentioned, his traits are blamed on helicopter parenting. Besides being socially awkward he is a rule follower. Possibly relevant Andrew Feldmen the actor who plays the lead character chose Autism as his Bar Mitzvah project Autism because his cousin is Autistic.

Grooming double standard allegations:
A few critics have noted that a movie with the same plot where the 32 year old character is a man and the 19 year old character is a women would never be made today. In response to the grooming allegations Feldman said the characters are meant to be flawed doing cringy things.

The movie:
It is a combination of sex comedy and romantic comedy. The spoilers below deal with some of the controversies.

The movie centers more around using the rich for comic fodder more then the 19 year old character’s social awkwardness. For most of the movie is the guy is not a punching bag and when he discovers the plot gets revenge. Other characters react negatively to the age difference between the “daters”. That said the film is completely unrealistic. That is what rom coms do. They are escapist fantasies for certain people. ‘No Hard Feelings’ sticks to formula. Two people fall in love. Issues cause a seemingly permanent break up. But something causes them to realize they are meant to be togeather and they live happily ever after

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 11:13 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
lol... I will admit, my very first thought upon reading the OP was "JL? Huh... I wonder what she looks like NOW"

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A few critics have noted that a movie with the same plot where the 32 year old character is a man and the 19 year old character is a women would never be made today.

At the risk of being struck by lightning. Any 19 year old male who was presented with
option A - a life of celibacy and being ignored by women
option B - attention from JL in a cocktail dress

I honestly don't think this requires all that much deep thought

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 1:23 am

Sounds like a retread of "Failure to Launch" (mom and dad hire Sarah Jessica Parker to come on to their son, Mathew McConehey to get him to move out of the house).

I would sit through a lot of bad cinema just to stare at Jennifer Lawrence. And its prolly not that bad. Nineteen is legal age.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 10:41 am

Off Topic
Most 19 year old straight guys would say yes before Jennifer Lawrence got a word out. If the relationship status is not an issue most 59 year olds would to. Point taken.

Percy the 19 year old character is not most straight guys. He wants his sexual partner to be into him for legitimate reasons. He is tricked in to believing that. Being groomed has nothing to do with the groomed person giving consent or of being of legal age.

I have not seen ‘Failure to Launch’ but I do note it came out 17 years ago when rightly or wrongly a lot of things considered inappropriate today were considered legitimate comedy. But despite “Me too” and especially in the wake of the Wrong Planet grooming scandal you would think that we would see the grooming.

I include myself in the we. Due to the combination of my own gender biases and that I viewed the movie from autism depiction perspective I missed it also. But once pointed out it was obvious, even from the trailer. I am positive that if I viewed the ‘American Pie’ series for first time now I would see them for what they were despite characters consenting and being legal. The difference is that in those movies and teen comedies in general the grooming and beyond were done by males to females.

There are arguments made that they are fictional characters in comedies. That cringyness is often a key element in making good comedy, or that they are funny despite the problematic elements. Depending on the movie IMHO they are legitimate arguments. But they are not the reasons I am bringing this up.

My points are
1. It is what it is and should not be downplayed.

2. What I am seeing here is a tamer version of guy locker room talk circa 1970s or 80s. Beyond the question of the appropriateness on WP at this point most of us should be more mature.

This thread has been derailed and that is on me. I am not sure if this thread belongs in PPR or in this section since both elements are important parts of the thread.. Best wait to see how the thread evolves I guess.

There were two scenes in the movie that had me laughing out loud.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 12:43 pm

I didn't know of this movie until just now.
Several versions of the film are on their way down to my SSD at the moment.

I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but the basic premise had me entranced right away, as a weird dude that never even tried to get a girlfriend until age 30. The prospect of my parents paying a "hot chick" to bring me out of my shell earlier is a fun one to contemplate, but given their limited financial means, it wouldn't have been Jennifer Lawrence or her like.
;-)

If anyone here wants to see the movie, but doesn't want to send $$ to the producers of a film that they have political or moral objections to, let me know via PM, and I'll send you a download link (once it's ready).

Or if you're just poor or stingy with your $$, like me, either way...

Darron

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 12:53 pm

Another character coded and written as "autistic" by neurotypical writers and played by a neurotypical actor? - No thanks. It looks just like all of the other really bad movies out there..

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 1:56 am

I watched as long as I could stand, which was to the part where the lovely Miss Lawrence gets naked on a beach. Not even a fully naked Jennifer could redeem this stinkeroo.

This colossal failure was so bereft of the merest whisper of meaning or humor that I was becoming convinced that I had died, and was witnessing the overture to my own well-deserved Eternal Damnation.

Never before has it been my misfortune to suffer so pseudo-cinematically, and I hereby pledge my undying love to anyone who will drag my festering carcass away from the gates of Hell upon which this travesty was projected.

Scream, oh, please scream into my poisoned ears to flush away the torturous dialogue that cascaded from the gaping maws of the humorless cretins that leered at me from the flaming screen, daring me to doubt them, caring not of the pain they caused, scarcely feigning stagecraft only to earn the very definition of ill-gotten gains.

My enduring faith in the magic of the Silver Screen has been shattered, my love for cinema dashed upon the craggy shores of this Isle of Despair amidst a Sea of Superfluous Digital Mediocrity.

Woe, woe unto those who succeed me into this Theater of Pain, heed my warning cries and run far, far away!

Oh, and yeah, Jennie got some tig ol’ bitties on her!

Darron