Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 9:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
The liturgical language of the Copt church is the Coptic language, which is the direct descendant of the ancient Egyptian language, and it was used to decipher the hieroglyphs; so how is that not a connection?

Coptic is a) written in greek script and influenced by other languages following various invasions b) it's liturgical but is an extinct language no longer spoken by anyone in Egypt.

So? Its still a connection.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 10:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
The liturgical language of the Copt church is the Coptic language, which is the direct descendant of the ancient Egyptian language, and it was used to decipher the hieroglyphs; so how is that not a connection?

Coptic is a) written in greek script and influenced by other languages following various invasions b) it's liturgical but is an extinct language no longer spoken by anyone in Egypt.

The coptic church arose from a split from the Greek Orthodox in 451AD. It;s adherents are closer to greek christians than to ancient Egypt.

There are actually very few civilisations left that have a continuous cultural connection to ancient cultures.

Egyptian queens like Nefertiti and Cleopatra have been global icons now for ages/aeons. I think it's mean spirited and selfish for an Arab speaking Egyptian to claim she belongs to them and nobody else can share in her legacy. I mean who cares what they think.

In any case Netflix and Jada Pinkett Smith are laughing all the way to the bank. It might have got 1% on rotten tomatoes but I strongly suspect they received more publicity than they would have ever got had they cast "plain Jane" who looks like the bust of Cleopatra to play the role.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 7:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

The coptic church arose from a split from the Greek Orthodox in 451AD. It;s adherents are closer to greek christians than to ancient Egypt.

There are actually very few civilisations left that have a continuous cultural connection to ancient cultures.

Egyptian queens like Nefertiti and Cleopatra have been global icons now for ages/aeons. I think it's mean spirited and selfish for an Arab speaking Egyptian to claim she belongs to them and nobody else can share in her legacy. I mean who cares what they think.

THATS THE POINT!! !!

Why do YOU, and ONLY...YOU care about it so much about it??????

you're the only one on the planet who gets offended by what Egyptians say on this issue.

The girl is playing on the same team as you, and speaks only the truth. But you dis her just because...she uttered the one phrase "my queen".

Let her have "her queen". Why do YOU care? It makes no difference to any of the issues in question whether the gal claims Cleopatra or not.

And where do you get the nerve to say "who cares what Egyptians think"?

What are you...some kind of Eurocentric colonialist who is insensitive to folks just because they have brown skin? :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 7:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The same Egyptian girl who spoke nothing but the truth in the earlier video is back. Speaking more truth. With some added stats and science about Egyptian genetics.
]

You do realise she (and her Arab speaking fellow Egyptians) are using this issue as click bait for clout right?t.

I realize what YOU are doing, dude. Admitting defeat without acknowleging it. Your desperation is showing.

Concocting a fantasy about the motives of a Utuber you dont agree with (are you a psychic mind reader?).

Second: you're impugning her motives without pointing to a single thing wrong with the content of what she is saying.

Even if she is being mercenary...doesnt change the fact that every point she makes is valid.

Its not her fault that "Blacks get upset with her".

I am aware of the prehistoric climate change and how the Sahara wasnt the Sahara way back-weve already taken the deep dive together and talked about it already

Dude- you're just as biased as anyone. The only reason you take "deep dives" is...that you WANT the pyramids to have been built by...space aliens and or by Atlanteans. Your agenda is just as obvious as anyone else's.

If anything you're the one being "Eurocentric" by denying Egyptians credit for building structures in their own country- and seeking to give credit to...European-like aliens or Atlantis folks.

And I love the dishonest way you set up the debate. You claim its a fight between American Blacks and Modern Egyptians over "cultural ownership of Cleopatra". Claim that the dispute is "ridiculous", but then you beat up on just one of the two "ridicuous" parties (just the Egyptians), and ignore the other party(American Blacks).

If your contention is that both sides are fighting over something that neither owns then why not be honest and pick on both sides? Further... wouldnt American Blacks be being at least as ridiculous if not a hundred times more ridiculous than modern Egyptians in claiming Cleopatra? The ancestors of American Blacks came from points along the west coast of Africa all about 3000 miles from Egypt?

And cultural ownership is not the issue anyway. The issue is...that Cleopatra wasnt Black...so instead of race-swapping Netflix should find some other historic figure, who really WAS Black, to make their Black History Month movie about. Thats it. End of discussion. The Egyptian girl, and that Egyptian comic both speak the truth- theyre playing on the same team as you are...so why do you beat up on them? Just because one of them gets emotional about her own country and describes her as "my queen"- so what? Its as if American Blacks and Whites are a couple in an unhappy marriage- so we go into another family's home (Egypt) and are throwing THAT family's dishes at each other! Lol! I dont blame Egyptians for resenting that their history is being used as ammunition in American domestic fights by Netflix.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 2:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Second: you're impugning her motives without pointing to a single thing wrong with the content of what she is saying.

Even if she is being mercenary...doesnt change the fact that every point she makes is valid.

Its not her fault that "Blacks get upset with her".

I need to separate three issues here

1. Cleopatra was not black...clearly Pinkett-Smith and Netflix were wrong for calling their show a documentary (I've said that several times)
2. While Egyptians are entitled to get angry over the representation of Cleopatra, both Bassem and the girl (and for that matter Zawi Hawass) are playing games in order to garner support/sympathy from white anti-woke conservatives who have eagerly weaponised this for their own agenda. You may choose to not see this but I see it.
3. Yes I do believe the pyramids and sphinx are much older than the pharaohs who are puported to have built them. I think cultures like Mayans in South America or the Egyptians and Indians in India came across the remains of earlier more advanced cultures and renovated the structures using less sophisticated methods.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 4:58 pm

Sorry, just clarifying point number 3.

I give credence to the possibility (rather than believe). The evidence lines up all over the world. Whatever culture has creation myths about their oldest structures they refer to a time when the gods came to earth (as first proposed by Erich Von Daniken back in the 1960s) but what many have now demonstrated there appears to have been older civilisations that practiced advanced megalithic building and stone work from whom later cultures (that are still ancient to us) were unable to replicate their handiwork.

One classic example are the unusual prehistoric stone walls of Nan Madol in the south pacific (the islands are not far from the coast of Queensland in Australia). The Melanesian stone age tribes who live near the islands have no memory of who built the giant walls. I saw a documentary where an engineer visited the island and he was astonished at the craftsmanship. The builders used particular techniques in creating load bearing archways that required knowledge of advanced calculus. Remember the people who occupy nearby islands are only capable of creating thatched huts and bows and arrows and fishing nets.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 3:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pca_Y ... eDailyShow

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 5:09 am

Egyptians seem pretty mad about this. My question is, are modern Egyptians descandants of ancient Egytians or were they displaced?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 5:24 am

lil_hippie wrote:
It's actually a big deal that Cleopatra is black. There's a huge group of people out there who want to reframe Egyptians as black so that Africa as a whole looks better historically since not much technical innovation has come out of there.

The ironic thing is, if they wanted to make Africa look better historially they should actuaoly learn some African history instead of just going on about Egypt.

If they want to make Africa look better historically why don't they talk about the Ksumite kingdom or the Ghana empire or the Mali empire?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 6:51 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Egyptians seem pretty mad about this. My question is, are modern Egyptians descandants of ancient Egytians or were they displaced?

All evidence points to the people who call themselves Egyptians today are technologically, culturally and linguistically different to the people who built the Giza civilisation. The ethnic connections of Arabic speaking Egyptians to the populations back then are no different to Modern Mexicans claiming to be descendants of the Olmecs or Mayans. Having several % genetic similarity does not make you the "owners' of that ancient culture.

It's simply absurd believing they feel insulted given all modern Egyptian Arabs did to these structures was plunder the stones for building mosques and houses and plant explosives destroying burial structures to seek treasures (prior to European archaeologists who plundered a further 90% of all the treasures).

Last edited by cyberdad on 28 May 2023, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 6:53 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The ironic thing is, if they wanted to make Africa look better historially they should actuaoly learn some African history instead of just going on about Egypt.

If they want to make Africa look better historically why don't they talk about the Ksumite kingdom or the Ghana empire or the Mali empire?

because Netflix were making this for an American audience

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 7:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

because Netflix were making this for an American audience

Well it won't hurt the American audience to learn about civilizations other than Greece, Rome, Egypt and Babylon. They can find out that ancient history happened all over the world, not just in Europe and the Near East.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:12 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Well it won't hurt the American audience to learn about civilizations other than Greece, Rome, Egypt and Babylon. They can find out that ancient history happened all over the world, not just in Europe and the Near East.

America is currently going through a "book burning" with the rejection of serious academic studies like the 1619 Project. It's laughable for those same clowns wanting to bury black history to scream outrage over a netflix program

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

America is currently going through a "book burning" with the rejection of serious academic studies like the 1619 Project. It's laughable for those same clowns wanting to bury black history to scream outrage over a netflix program

Conservatives seem to think that historical revisionism is only bad when someone else is doing it. Conservatives also want you to know that censoring academia is only something that the Evil Liberulz do. Conservatives believe in preserving free speech! /s

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 9:54 pm

The old rose coloured glasses. I am willing to listen to conservative gripes then they should expose their kids to real world truths