Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 4:17 pm

https://apnews.com/article/singapore-de ... ubscribers

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2023, 4:30 pm

Horrible, but what can we do about it? If the west invades to try to liberate them they will just be labelled as racist.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 4:37 pm

Obviously this is completely nuts, but:

Quote:
Singapore authorities say there is a deterrent effect, citing studies that traffickers carry amounts below the threshold that would bring a death penalty.

Why traffic 1kg in a country where >500g carries the death penalty? :? Could have simply arranged for 2 or 3 deliveries and avoided the possibility of the death penalty when those are the laws of the land you're breaking laws in.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 7:14 pm

There was recently an ABC documentary on capital punishment in Singapore. The former prime minister Lee was tasked back in the 1960s to eradicate drug gangs who were causing major social upheaval among the Chinese Singaporeans. The zero-tolerance laws have been successful in targeting drug lords but unfortunately many users get caught in the drag net including hapless foreigners.

I think currently there is a Mexican teenager facing the gallows in Singapore. Nobody is exempt.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 7:36 pm

The man knew the risks BEFORE he participated...and took them anyway. Sad of course, but far from a smart thing to do. You don't bet your life without being willing to lose it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm

DanielW wrote:
The man knew the risks BEFORE he participated...and took them anyway. Sad of course, but far from a smart thing to do. You don't bet your life without being willing to lose it.

There are drug mules who are coerced or manipulated by drug kingpins to carry > limit for capital punishment. The Singapore government recently executed a 20 yr old Indian boy who was intellectually disabled. It turned out he was not only unable to understand what he was doing but was coerced. The Chinese prosecutor (a rather evil individual) fabricated evidence that his IQ should not be taken into consideration and wanted to make an example to others. Secondly Singapore's Chinese community are paranoid that non-Chinese from certain minority groups (indians, South Americans and Africans) are prone to be drug smugglers so their cases are treated more harshly than east Asians or caucasians.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 9:13 pm

Naturally, if one in incapable of understanding the risk, they shouldn't be executed - If this man was being coerced (and thats a BIG if) He should have gone to the police, worse case scenario? he still would have improved his chances. People don't tend to be made accidental drug-mules, (this man wasn't a drug mule anyway, he was brokering the sale) He knew full well the risks involved.

What he did do was make a series of really bad decisions, and he paid for it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 9:47 pm

DanielW wrote:
Naturally, if one in incapable of understanding the risk, they shouldn't be executed - If this man was being coerced (and thats a BIG if) He should have gone to the police, worse case scenario? he still would have improved his chances. People don't tend to be made accidental drug-mules, (this man wasn't a drug mule anyway, he was brokering the sale) He knew full well the risks involved.

Which is fine, I think even his family accepted he did something criminal and must accept consequences....but...the mitigating factors were overwhelming he should not have been put on death row,

Ironically Singapore isn't the only developed country to execute people with an IQ of a child
https://eji.org/news/alabama-seeks-exec ... isability/

where you allow punishment > culpability then the judicial system no longer provides justice or rehabilitation (both of which they were designed to implement) but it simply becomes a political tool

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2023, 9:20 am

DanielW wrote:

Its time we (the west) invades and saves Singapore from this dystopia.

Last edited by Cornflake on 30 Apr 2023, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed a personal attack

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 5:10 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
DanielW wrote:

Its time we (the west) invades and saves Singapore from this dystopia.

How delightfully charming you are... practically role-model :-) Is there anything relevant you'd like to add to this or any of the other threads you post in? Before you get reported for making personal attacks?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 5:18 pm

c'mon guys....this is a news forum...let's not resort to petty personal jabs

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 9:48 am

Unfortunately, this is one of the risks of being in certain countries where the laws may not be as progressive as they could be. I felt really bad for that surfer that went to Indonesia and smugglers put drugs in her bag. She was eventually executed for drug smuggling even though it wasn't clear that she had any knowledge of there being drugs in her bag as opposed to being planted by airport personnel after she checked them.

It doesn't make it particularly right, but until the laws are changed, this sort of thing is the legal consequence of being involved, and the levels of evidence needed vary significantly from country to country.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 8:34 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Unfortunately, this is one of the risks of being in certain countries where the laws may not be as progressive as they could be. I felt really bad for that surfer that went to Indonesia and smugglers put drugs in her bag. She was eventually executed for drug smuggling even though it wasn't clear that she had any knowledge of there being drugs in her bag as opposed to being planted by airport personnel after she checked them.

It doesn't make it particularly right, but until the laws are changed, this sort of thing is the legal consequence of being involved, and the levels of evidence needed vary significantly from country to country.

Name? I did a search and am not aware of female surfers who were actually executed in Indonesia

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 10:25 am

Good for them. This is what an actual war on drugs might look like in the West. Hopefully pro-legalisation advocates take note and never again use the argument "the war on drugs has failed". It's never been fought.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 10:37 am

^You want weed smokers executed?
So you would have me killed ?If you had the choice?
That’s nice.Very Christian of you.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 11:06 am

Misslizard wrote:
^You want weed smokers executed?
So you would have me killed ?If you had the choice?
That’s nice.Very Christian of you.

But seriously I would have no problem utilising the death penalty for certain parts of the drug trade and while I don't know about capital punishment just for "smoking" and certainly not for the first offence, I'd like punishments to be much harsher than they are. Frankly drug users and their suppliers are such a plague on society that pretty much anything could be justified to me in its defense.

Anyway I don't think I would have to have you hypothetically executed, unless you are clinically stupid. Answer me this: if the death penalty was prescribed for simple possession, would you stop using drugs or would you continue take the risk just to get high?