Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Driven
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2007, 4:49 am

I'd think someone would have already done a thread like this but I couldn't find one. So I'll start, list your school and maybe a little info about it if you care to.

Arizona State University

Second largest university in the U.S. with 51,234 students last year.
Formerly ranked #1 party school by playboy magazine, but has since lost much of it's wild reputation.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 4:56 am

I graduated from Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Kennesaw is the 3rd largest university within the University System of Georgia with nearly 20,000 students. The American Council on Education selected KSU as one of eight institutions in the country for a study called "Global Learning for All," which will focus on good practices in promoting international student success.

Kit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2007, 5:01 am

Cornell

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 6:53 am

George Mason University

George Mason University is named after American revolutionary, patriot, and founding father George Mason. The University traces its roots back to the 1950s when the legislature of the Commonwealth of Virginia passed a resolution, in January of 1956, to establish a branch college of the University of Virginia in Northern Virginia. In September of 1957 the new college opened its doors to seventeen students, all of whom enrolled as freshmen in a renovated elementary school building at Bailey's Crossroads. John Norville Gibson Finley served as Director of the new branch, which was known as University College.

The City of Fairfax, Virginia, then the Town of Fairfax, purchased and donated 150 acres of land to the University of Virginia for the college's new location, which was referred to as the Fairfax Campus. In 1959 the Board of Visitors of UVA selected a permanent name for the college: George Mason College of the University of Virginia. The Fairfax campus construction planning that began in early 1960 showed visible results when the development of the first forty acres of Fairfax Campus began in 1962. In the Fall of 1964 the new campus welcomed 356 students.

Local jurisdictions of Fairfax County, Arlington County, and the cities of Alexandria and Falls Church agreed to appropriate $3 million to purchase land adjacent to GMC to provide for a 600 acre Fairfax Campus in 1966 with the intention that the institution would expand into a regional university of major proportions, including the granting of graduate degrees.

On April 7, 1972 the Virginia General Assembly enacted legislation which separated George Mason College from its parent institution, the University of Virginia. Renamed that day by the legislation, GMC became George Mason University.

In 1979 GMU opened its law school in Arlington by acquiring the International School of Law, which was a private institution that had recently attained provisional accreditation from the American Bar Association (ABA). By 1981 the law school, now known as the George Mason University School of Law (GMUSL), gained full ABA accreditation.

Also, in 1979, the university moved all of its athletic programs to NCAA Division I. Enrollment that year passed 11,000. The university opened its Arlington campus in 1982, two blocks from the Virginia Square-GMU station in Arlington. In 1986 the university's governing body, the Board of Visitors, approved a new master plan for the year based on an enrollment of 20,000 full-time students with housing for 5,000 students by 1995. That same year university housing opened to bring the total number of residential students to 700.

Through a bequest of Russian immigrant Shelley Krasnow the University established the Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study in 1991. The Institute was created to further the understanding of the mind and intelligence by combining the fields of cognitive psychology, neurobiology, and artificial intelligence. In 1992, GMU's new Prince William Institute began classes in a temporary site in Manassas, Virginia. The Institute moved to a permanent 124-acre site located on the Rt. 234 bypass, ten miles south of Manassas, by the year 1997, and is now known as the Prince William Campus. The university graduated more than 5,000 students that following spring.

While George Mason University is relatively young, particularly compared to established research universities in Virginia, it has grown rapidly, reaching an enrollment of 29,889 students in 2006, and is the second largest university in the state of Virginia, exceeded only by Virginia Commonwealth University. According to a 2005 report issued by the university, enrollment is expected to reach 35,000 students by 2011 with more than 7,000 resident students.[3]

In 2002 Mason celebrated its 30th anniversary of independence from the University of Virginia and launched its first capital campaign with a goal to raise $110 million. It concluded by raising $142 million, $32 million more than their goal. The George Mason University logo, originally designed in 1982, was updated in 2004.

Mason has achieved many prestigious rankings in recent years, including:

* 2nd most diverse university in the nation, by the Princeton Review, with students from all 50 states and more than 135 countries.
* 6th in the nation Industrial/Organizational Psychology graduate program, by US News & World Report.
* 8th in the world Political Economy by econphd.net.
* 8th in the nation basketball team for 2005-2006, by ESPN/USA Today.
* Top 20 in the nation Study Abroad program
* 34th in the nation law school, by US News & World Report.
* 51st in the nation doctorate program in history by US News & World Report.
* 47th in the nation Public Affairs program by US News & World Report
* 60th in the nation PhD program in Computer Science for 2006, by US News & World Report.
* 66th in the nation graduate education program for 2006 by "US News & World Report"
* 99th in the nation undergraduate business program for 2007 by US News and World Report.
* MBA was ranked as the most selective part-time MBA program in the greater Washington region by The Washington Post.

Last edited by JerryHatake on 16 Aug 2007, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 7:11 am

As of next week, I will be attending Midwestern State University, in Wichita Falls, Texas.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 10:28 am

im starting queensbourough community colledge in a few weeks

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2007, 5:21 pm

I go to Eastern Kentucky University. Probably one of the most beautiful looking campuses I have been on. It is also probably one of the top 3 best schools to attend if you want to major in Criminal Justice

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2007, 5:32 pm

The University of New Brunswick is my alma mater :)

Few notables:

UNB is the oldest English language university in Canada (est. 1785) and was the first public university in North America. UNB offers over 60 degrees at the undergraduate and graduate levels with a total student enrollment of approximately 12,000 between the two principal campuses.

The Faculty of Computer Science (FCS), UNBF, was the first computer science faculty in Canada.

UNB offered Canada's first university-level engineering program, established in 1855 and the first engineers graduating in 1857.

The University was the only institution to grant President John F. Kennedy an Honorary Doctorate in his own lifetime.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 3:45 pm

Cal State Fullerton. I'm going on my last semester.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2007, 5:54 pm

I graduated from Hunter College in New York City.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2007, 9:57 pm

I go to University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 7:54 am

Arizona State University

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 12:35 pm

I attend Northeastern University in Boston, MASS. The school is know for its co-op program in which you get to work for a real company (e.g. Gilette, Merck).

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 5:39 pm

Youngstown State University. It's actually a really good school, it's just cheap because Youngstown is notorious for rampant crime and gang wars. Their music department is excellent.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:37 pm

University of Oklahoma, a place famous for football and national merit scholars.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Sep 2007, 4:17 pm

I attend George Mason University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mason_University