Final Instalment of Netflix's "Last Kingdom"

Page 7 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 11:03 am

Recidivist wrote:
Liz's coronation cost approx £1.5 million in 1953 which today equates to approx £53 million + cost of living crisis :jester:

I don't get what you mean?

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 11:11 am

It was just a factoid, it didn't mean anything apart from a comparison. Maybe I was joking that the cost of living crisis cost Charlie boy and extra £50 mil. I actually can't remember, even though I posted it 10 minutes ago , my brain had moved on.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 11:13 am

Recidivist wrote:
It was just a factoid, it didn't mean anything apart from a comparison. Maybe I was joking that the cost of living crisis cost Charlie boy and extra £50 mil. I actually can't remember, even though I posted it 10 minutes ago , my brain had moved on.

Oh I see! I was trying to make a connection between what I'd written and what you had written :lol:

I love bits of information like that, I often fire them at people. And my brain moves on very quickly too! Brother *fist bump*

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 11:34 am

KitLily wrote:
Brother *fist bump*

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 1:26 pm

Ooh that's the perfect GIF, Recidivist!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 8:17 pm

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
What did you think about King Charles forking out 100m pounds of taxpayer money to see him and his adulteress consort parade around in stolen jewels from India?

They and our government are in league to bankrupt the UK.

It's quite a sweet gig. I imagine there are moments in Monteceito where Harry is smoking a pipe and looking at the embers of his palatial; fireplace regretting all that he's lost.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 4:49 am

It's not a sweet gig for the ordinary inhabitants of the UK though, we're struggling.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 4:54 am

KitLily wrote:
It's not a sweet gig for the ordinary inhabitants of the UK though, we're struggling.

No it's not, But most of your country is willing to finance King Charle's lavish ifestyle. His huge wine collection, which is so large he converted his Mercedes engine to run on white wine.

As far as Charles and Camilla are concerned, you can fool most of the British people most of the time. I frankly don't blame them from exploiting their people. Like little Prince George frolicking around his multimillion dollar palace. The family think if common folk are willing to give them money because of their "esteemed" bloodline, then why should they say no?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 4:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
But most of your country is willing to finance King Charle's lavish ifestyle. The family think if common folk are willing to give them money because of their "esteemed" bloodline, then why should they say no?

That's not true. Most people in Britain aren't royalists. I don't know why we haven't become a republic or something tbh. I suppose the idea of royalty and the class system is entrenched, no matter how much people say there isn't a class system anymore.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 5:07 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
But most of your country is willing to finance King Charle's lavish ifestyle. The family think if common folk are willing to give them money because of their "esteemed" bloodline, then why should they say no?

That's not true. Most people in Britain aren't royalists. I don't know why we haven't become a republic or something tbh. I suppose the idea of royalty and the class system is entrenched, no matter how much people say there isn't a class system anymore.

I wish that were true KitLilly, but it doesn't look like it
https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/three-five- ... e-become-0

60% is a big number. And its higher for older Britains whom 79% want to retain the royals. It's this overt support by the golden oldies for the institution which contributed to Brexit as well.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 10:58 am

I think when Diana, William and Harry came along it boosted the Royals' popularity a lot, they were very unpopular before then.

Despite that poll, it's deeply uncool to be a royalist in Britain. The old people will eventually die off and I think the younger people will be more sceptical. Well they are sceptical already.

I don't see why we can't have the royal family just as a figurehead, but not taking millions of our taxes. Why can't they just be like the other European royal families and just live quietly in the background?

There is still this fantasy that Britain is the greatest, Britannia rules the waves etc. and Brexit proved/encouraged that nonsense. Even though Brexit was heavily influenced by Russians.

I think it's a vicious circle- people think others want to keep the monarchy, so they say they agree with the monarchy so they don't appear out of step, then because of that, more people say they agree with the monarchy. It's like brainwashing.

Britain is very backward these days and will become more so now we're isolated.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 1:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The final instalment of Netflix's Anglo-Saxon epic, the "Last Kingdom" was released on Netflix. The series are based on the popular book series "The Saxon Stories"

The lead actor who plays the hereditary ruler of Northumbria, Uhtred, Alexander Dreymon (who is German) also produced this final film.

The series has been quite epic and I've enjoyed the attempts at historical accuracy (probably appropriate to say it's loosely based on historic characters much like equally popular series "the Vikings")

The ending was quite sad and (without giving spoilers) it's suffice to say Uhtred played his fictional role in creation of a unified England

It never ceases to amaze me why with all this rich history, people descended from the British Isles (or Egypt?) are so invested in Hollywood to tell them who they are and what their identity is? It's quite dumb really.

Television is entertainment. It's not an education tool, If parents are worried about what their kids learn about their identity from TV then spend more time with them learning about their history and less time relying on TV/internet as babysitters.

I love this show. I've read most of the books as well.

I don't care about historical accuracy to be fair.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 3:00 pm

Brilliant isn't it Babybird. Who was your favourite character? So many. I think mine were Leofric, Sihtric, Uhtred and Hild.

Sometimes history isn't as gripping a story as one that's written by someone.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 4:53 pm

KitLily wrote:
Despite that poll, it's deeply uncool to be a royalist in Britain. The old people will eventually die off and I think the younger people will be more sceptical. Well they are sceptical already..

It's interesting you say that. It's also uncool (literally impossible) to get an 18-30 yr old Australian to admit they vote conservative and yet a substantial number are. They have conservative values but keep it tightly under wraps.

I read one article about Brexit and it was the lack of turn out of the younger generation to vote to leave the EU that indicates their ambivalence (I suspect with age these same kids become more conservative....I see it here among the Aussies as well)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 6:20 am

Because we have the First Past The Post system of voting in Britain, people have become disillusioned because they can't see how their votes affect anything- nothing changes in their lives, so they don't bother voting.

We need voting reform: Proportional Representation, then people can see their votes actually making a difference. That's the problem. Most European countries have PR, but Britain is behind the times.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 6:44 am

babybird wrote:
I don't care about historical accuracy to be fair.

The series is based on Bernard Cornwell's "The Saxon Stories" which are made up of 10 novels. Cornwell was actually inspired by the recorded Anglo-Saxon poetry (the original ancestors of the English people were of course illiterate and relied heavily on a oral tradition).

One of the strange bardic traditions (according to Cornwell) is the belief among the Saxons that they had always dwelt in the lands of Britian. There was no origin myth of their people from the Danish lands (which in reality is from whence the language originated among the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians).

It was one of the reasons that Uhtred had almost a spiritual connection with Bambergh in Northumbria as he was a son of the soil, as much a son of Britain as the Scots were to the north or the welsh and Irish to the west, The poetry demonised the vikings as unwelcome newcomers. But for Cornwell the viking Danes were complicated characters both good and bad and would impart some of themselves on Uhtred in as much as they imparted on the lands they conquered.