Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 9:16 am

Autistic People Voice Concerns Over Increasing Use of Artificial Intelligence in Autism Research

Quote:
Artificial Intelligence and the Rights of Autistic People (AIRA), a newly launched project by the NGO European Council of Autistic People (EUCAP), draws attention to the rapid growth in AI research targeting autism, and alerts that the views of autistic people are not being heard concerning the development or uses of new technologies.

The project’s effort to map existing literature on the topic has been led by an international team of three autistic researchers, Khiah Strachan (Scotland), Imke Heuer (Germany) and Kat Van der Poorten (Belgium). The team identified over a thousand articles published within the past eight years, with little evidence of participatory approaches in research. Khiah Strachan comments: “If AI is being developed for autistic people, to make it as ethical as possible, we should be involved.”

A multi-language survey to probe autistic people’s views concerning AI applications will be launched within the next two months. In the words of the project team member Imke Heuer, “the survey should find out about the current knowledge autistic people have on artificial intelligence, as well as about their views on potential dangers and benefits entailed in the use of AI, and their position on its use and ethical implications.”

The final stage, to be completed by the end of 2024, will involve using the knowledge gained in the first two stages to develop the capacity of autistic people’s organisations to advocate in a broad range of matters related to AI, influencing legislation, policies and research, and developing connections with the industries that utilise AI.

Many autistic people see positive potential in this field as well as risks. As Kat Van der Poorten sees it: “incorporating feedback from the autistic community into the design, development, and use of AI systems can lead to more inclusive, effective, and ethical AI technologies that benefit everyone. Autistic individuals can provide valuable insights into how AI systems impact us, as well as how to design AI systems that are accessible and accommodating to us.”

Heta Pukki, President of EUCAP, observes that the organisation approaches the topic from many perspectives, as autistic people are targets of large amounts of research involving AI, and often portrayed in misleading ways when controversial emotion recognition technologies are discussed, while at the same time, the cognitive strengths of many autistic people make them well suited for employment in the AI industry. - “We hope that we can begin to connect all these aspects, and bring more autistic people into discourses as advocates, consumers, experts and researchers, as well as end users benefitting from some applications. We would also like to encourage more application of AI to topics that are of high priority to most autistic people, such as provision of support services, reasonable accommodations, and accessibility in health care to improve our safety and wellbeing.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 10:19 am

Why would anyone care about AI in autism research?

Do they think the data will be corrupted or the machine will become self aware and start exterminating the scientists?

Looks like a big waste of time

- George Bernie Shaw

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 1:24 pm

So far, it sounds as if the current round of AI news reflects that its strength is faking it. It has access to a lot of information, not necessarily all correct, and fakes expertise, possibly hiding serious errors or ignorance through skillful misdirection and assertive attitude.

I miss Chef Watson. I'm not interested in cooking but my bride is, and Chef Watson made some interesting recipe suggestions to her.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 7:15 pm

I, for one, would like to see AI applied to research on faster-than-light (FTL) travel.  Everything we know about general relativity tells us that FTL is impossible, but only human intelligence has been applied to the matter so far.  Same for telepathy, prescience, ghosts, and other supernatural concepts.

This will accomplish two things:

1) There may be a breakthrough in these fields of study.

2) The AIs will be too busy trying to solve these issues to plan extinction for our species.

Win-win!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 5:39 pm

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2023, 11:50 pm

My chief concern re A.I. is that it may be informed by bad data. There's an old saying from Math/C.S. is, "Garbage in, garbage out."

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 1:00 pm

When the AIs get good at independently setting goals for themselves and get "hands" (control of robots and the ability to independently manufacture devices of its own design) it should get interesting.

Let's hope they are benevolent masters.

In movies the spectrum of results ranges from Help Humanity to Kill Humanity. Be nice to your Roomba!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 1:54 pm

Ut, oh!
Ut, oh!

Ut, oh! We are in big trouble now! Was somebody mean to a Roomba?!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 8:57 pm

Why people should worry?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 1:02 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why people should worry?
If you mean why should Autistic people, in particular, worry...that is a very fair question.

We are humans and it is possible that AI will someday become a threat to all humans...therefore including us...but it is a lot less clear how AIs could be a problem specifically for Autistics.

Looking at the quote from the article I think it might be something along the lines of AIs possibly having features or behaviors that make them disproportionately difficult or unpleasant to use for Autistics.

For instance, suppose an AI "looks" at an individual and "reads" their emotions and uses that information when deciding what to do for/with/to the individual. And then suppose it is much more often wrong when trying to read the emotions of Autistics. Would the AI then make more mistakes deciding what to do for an Autistic? Or, worse yet, might the AI be more likely to unnecessarily summon law enforcement?!

Or, suppose the user has to speak to the AI. Are there potentially more issues in that if the individual is Autistic? I know that sometimes when I'm asked a question I like to think about my answer first. When I started reading about Autism I discovered that might be, in part, due to my Autism. If a lot of Autistics are slow to answer the AI's questions will that cause problems. And I know I definitely do not like to guess what someone means; will the AI's communicate in a manner that I am comfortable with?

But if AIs just rise up and decide to kill all humans then us Autistics have no special concerns. :wink:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 11:11 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
My chief concern re A.I. is that it may be informed by bad data. There's an old saying from Math/C.S. is, "Garbage in, garbage out."

I lean towards this.

If the AI is given racist/sexist data, gives associations that are racist/sexist, is rewarded when it gives racist/sexist outputs, it will make racist/sexist decisions.

This is already true and did happened somewhere...

So it won't be very far if...
If the AI is given ableist data, gives associations that are ableist, is rewarded when it gives ableist outputs, it will make ableist decisions.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:07 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:27 pm

Microsoft's ChatGPT has already manipulated users into doing things against their will
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanceeliot ... nd-ai-law/

A self-thinking AI unleashed onto the planet is likely to do things to us that we won't see coming

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:46 am

I’m joining the resistance movement under John Connor

- George Bernie Shaw

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 3:58 pm

carlos55 wrote:
I’m joining the resistance movement under John Connor