Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 12:13 pm

Has anyone ever played it before?
Has anyone ever played it in an organized sense?

I'm surprised by how brutal it is for your heart and lungs. I knew it was tough, but I figured it couldn't be worse than soccer, lacrosse or ice hockey. It's worse. You can't glide like on skates so it's like constant sprinting.

It's great, but it's tough.

Ball hockey is related to ice hockey, not to field hockey. I assume field hockey would also be pretty exhausting to play though.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 1:06 pm

My son played Rep Ball Hockey with TBHL after retiring from hockey.
They're both brutally tough.
His ball hockey equipment stank just as much as much if not more than his ice hockey.
Maybe the cold in ice arenas cut it down a little.

I think it's amazing that you've joined.
I'd never be able to do a group sport and think / react that quickly.

I have no idea how they do the motor coordination, keep their eye on the ball / puck, strategise, and know what everyone else is doing all at the same time. It's hard enough for me watching on TV. Half the time I can't even see the puck.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 1:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My son played Rep Ball Hockey with TBHL after retiring from hockey.
They're both brutally tough.
His ball hockey equipment stank just as much as much if not more than his ice hockey.
Maybe the cold in ice arenas cut it down a little.

I think it's amazing that you've joined.
I'd never be able to do a group sport and think / react that quickly.

I have no idea how they do the motor coordination, keep their eye on the ball / puck, strategise, and know what everyone else is doing all at the same time. It's hard enough for me watching on TV. Half the time I can't even see the puck.

I think there's more randomness then they'd like to let on, and everyone just reorganizes on the fly as things unfold.

What's really hard is learning to move or receive the without looking down, because if you put your head down you're liable to get it taken off by an opposing defender. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 1:41 pm

In high school gym class we would all go up to the soccer field on top of the hill...for two weeks we played soccer. Then for another two weeks we used the same soccer field , but played something called "speed ball". Basically soccer...but you got to use your hands (throw and drop kick), and it had a goal that was -not a "goal line" (like soccer or US football) but a small net structure guarded by a goalie (much like a hockey goal). The ball was a kind of a cross between a soccer ball and a basketball. Even I thought it was a pretty cool game (and I am a total non jock).

Decades later I met a guy in a local live blues nightclub who looked like Joe Montana - but spoke in a halting European accent. He said he was a "professional athlete"(I forget-maybe it was Italy) and played "hand ball", but he hastened to explain that it was not what Americans call 'hand ball' but a different sport that is "like soccer with the hands". Sounded like what we called speed ball back in the day, but in the US we dont have pro teams playing it.

So...now I am wondering. Are all three of these games the same thing? Speedball, European handball, and ball hockey?

Even if they are not all the same they must have a lot of similarities.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 2:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In high school gym class we would all go up to the soccer field on top of the hill...for two weeks we played soccer. Then for another two weeks we used the same soccer field , but played something called "speed ball". Basically soccer...but you got to use your hands (throw and drop kick), and it had a goal that was -not a "goal line" (like soccer or US football) but a small net structure guarded by a goalie (much like a hockey goal). The ball was a kind of a cross between a soccer ball and a basketball. Even I thought it was a pretty cool game (and I am a total non jock).

Decades later I met a guy in a local live blues nightclub who looked like Joe Montana - but spoke in a halting European accent. He said he was a "professional athlete"(I forget-maybe it was Italy) and played "hand ball", but he hastened to explain that it was not what Americans call 'hand ball' but a different sport that is "like soccer with the hands". Sounded like what we called speed ball back in the day, but in the US we dont have pro teams playing it.

So...now I am wondering. Are all three of these games the same thing? Speedball, European handball, and ball hockey?

Even if they are not all the same they must have a lot of similarities.

European handball is essentially soccer with a smaller ball moved by your hands.

Speedball seems like a variation on soccer and European handball type games.

Ball hockey is ice hockey, minus the ice and skates, with the puck replaced by an orange ball. The rules are otherwise nearly identical to ice hockey. It's full contact and there's no out-of-bounds, whereas I'd assume speedball has contact rules similar to soccer. Handball seems to allow for a bit more contact than soccer, but nothing like what's normal in ball hockey and ice hockey.

Literally the first thing I did after being subbed on was run someone into the boards so a teammate could take the loose ball. I don't think that's allowed in the other two sports you mentioned. :lol:

Apparently indoor hockey is a thing too, but it's field hockey played indoors; it's not related to ice hockey or sporting codes derived from it.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う