Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 10:30 pm

Does anyone who has a mood disorder tend to have "mixed episodes", instead of just mania/hypomania?

I have "mixed episodes" more often than flat out mania/hypomania. Having mixed episodes is much more stressful to me than just dealing w/ mania or depression. I can do a lot of self destructive things and be very irritable when I have one. I also feel much more "out of control" during one, which causes me anxiety and can make me feel crazy, and I often end up feeling very suicidal because of it. The few times where I've had issues with aspects of psychosis were also when I was having a mixed episode.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 11:36 pm

What is a mixed episode, FF?

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 2:43 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What is a mixed episode, FF?

https://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/ ... r-disorder
Quote:
Mixed episodes are defined by symptoms of mania and depression that occur at the same time or in rapid sequence without recovery in between..

Mania with mixed features usually involves irritability, high energy, racing thoughts and speech, and overactivity or agitation.
Depression during episodes with mixed features involves the same symptoms as in "regular" depression, with feelings of sadness, loss of interest in activities, low energy, feelings of guilt and worthlessness, and thoughts of suicide.

https://www.verywellmind.com/bipolar-di ... res-380387
Quote:
Bipolar disorder with mixed features is a term used to describe either a manic state with depressive symptoms or a depressive state with manic symptoms. While the distinction may seem incidental, the two mood states are, in fact, clearly delineated in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) issued by the American Psychiatric Association.

While one mood state will typically predominate during a mixed episode, in their totality, the body of symptoms will be contradictory. An example might be someone in a hyperactive state (a symptom of mania) who has feelings of deep guilt or remorse (a symptom of depression).

Alternately, a person may be crying uncontrollably (a symptom of depression) but be fixated on performing a task that has to be done now (a symptom of mania).

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 12:10 am

I have a mood disorder, but nothing related to bipolar or mania/hypomania. Do you have facebook? There are groups on there for people who have bipolar or similar disorders, I'm sure you can find someone who relates through those channels.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD